Forums are back in action! ×

Shifting focus

Hi Everybody! I'm new to the boards, but have been on and off dieting and exercising for the last 3 years. I was a 3 sport athlete through all of high school (soccer, track, lacrosse) but the wheels fell off when I got to College. I went to school in Boston which was just far enough not to live on campus but far enough to turn my meals into Dunkin Donuts and Burger King 3-4x a day and cause me to sit in my car for 3 hrs, daily :chargrined:.

I gained 60 pounds from the age of 18 to 22 and had maintained that weight (around 250, give or take 5 lbs.) for the last 5 years. In the last year I've lost 30 lbs by running and doing body weight exercises and eating less processed carbs, through suggestions from Nerd Fitness.

This website has inspired me to stop thinking in terms of weight loss and start thinking in the terms of things gained. I completed a triathlon this year, as well as a Spartan Race (at Fenway!), and a Rugged Maniac. I've done a handful of 5Ks and all of the events I completed taught me that I want to be stronger and faster not necessarily smaller. I've shifted my eating habits to include more protein, more vegetables, and less simple carbs. I wanted to join the group and keep up on different exercises and programs that people have used to make themselves stronger, faster, and happier with their bodies.

I look forward to being part of the group. Thanks!

The 5K is a great distance. I started off running 2-3 miles, 2-3x a week and not much else. I was hovering around 33-36 minutes for 3 miles. When I started doing squats, lunges and planks my times dropped into the 30-32 range and I was able to run for almost an hour before getting really spent. I',m hoping to complete one in under 30 minutes this coming spring. Good Luck and feel free to ask me anything!

Archived