Forums are back in action! ×

Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Hi,

I am 51 years old mother of one, and have been trying to unleash the athlete in me for a few years now. I played sports in hight school and have picked up running on and off. Two years ago I teetered on high-blood pressure and knew I had to make a change. I lost 40 lbs (and have kept it off) by doing lots and lots of cardio ( a little strength training here and there). I completed a Danskin Triathlon, a Warrior Dash and even ran a 1/2 marathon (average 12 minute miles). I have realized that even with all these "accomplishments" I am not in a happy place with my weight or my fitness. I still need to lose another 40-50 lbs. and want to change my life.

After reading the Primal Blueprint and now finding your website I know I have found a lifestyle that is doable. I already belong to a gym so ... the rest is up to me. The hardest part for me is sticking to the diet and keeping up the motivation by week 3. I have already started changing my diet but haven't taken "the pictures" that Steve suggests us to take. I would like to participate in a challenge but haven't figured out where to find it. I guess I will learn about "boards" as well as what I am capable of in this upcoming year.

Bring on 2013.

Linda

NOTE: This is the first "thread" I have ever written and have no clue about an avatar. I will take any help in technology as well. Thanks. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yay, another 50+ year old woman.  Welcome, welcome, welcome.  It is probably wise to ease into a primal diet and to count your calories, at least at first.  You may be having problems getting enough calories at first.  I keep my calories up with higher fat% dairy (if you're planning on dairy), nuts, nut butter, avocado, and olive oil.  If you want to start strength training, I heartily recommend the beginner's body weight workout.  Try this link for an avatar, etc.  Ask away if you need any more help.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

You may be having problems getting enough calories at first.

I had that problem.  I didn't really get how much protein/fat I needed to chow on to get the calories I needed, so I highly recommend something like myfitnessplan.com to track your food at least at first.   It gets easier as you understand the principles.

I'm also a big fan of Paleo over Primal, because of the issues with dairy.  If you're having trouble losing on standard dairy, try goat dairy instead or drop dairy altogether.

It sounds like you've got the fitness side down, now the other 80% is all you have to tackle!  Good luck!

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

Archived