Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone!

My name is Alex and I'm 23. I found this site about a month ago and read through a bunch of the articles and found motivation in them. I'm a former Division 1 NCAA swimmer and have just started competing again with a Masters program while I am in pharmacy school after a year off. I've always been a little on the big side (nothing terrible), but I could do to get a bit leaner. My main motivations are to improve my swimming times (hopefully getting back down to my college times), along with looking better in a speedo (but that's just a side effect).

I sustained a fairly serious knee injury requiring surgery in high school which plagued me all the way through college. I've never *really* lifted before for fear of dislocating my knee again (although it still happened way too often). My coach was also nervous of me doing upper body lifts because if I hurt a shoulder I'd be in trouble. However, since I'm not competing as seriously anymore, I've decided to start actually lifting. I started doing bigger lifts like squats, deadlifts, military presses, and bench presses. I really enjoy them. I have to use plates under my heels in squats due to tight heel cords, but I think I get the same overall benefits. I also started eating semi-paleo, at the very least *much* healthier. I look forward to participating here. Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!

Thanks for the feedback! As far as short term goals I want to stay committed to lifting (at least twice a week on swimming off-days) and swimming when school starts up again. Grades are important to me so as a life goal I may make one related to keeping up with studying or making x # of study guides. I also want to remain committed to eating "semi-paleo" or at the very least healthy. That may not be the best descriptor of my diet but I'm trying to move my diet more towards paleo. I usually have a small bit of oatmeal in the morning (which is a grain), because I'm a little worried about cholesterol going more towards a meat and veggie heavy diet. I've also kept eating dairy (mostly milk and yogurt) due to a medication I take that can cause osteoporosis in long term use. I also drink socially which isn't paleo either, but I'm trying to limit that. Thanks for the kind welcomes! Happy New Year :)

I do mean Achilles, thanks for pointing that out. A doctor once told me I have tight heel cords (as well as calves) so I've stuck with that. I've actually been stretching for around 18 years, but I have a medical condition affecting my peripheral muscles and nerves, resulting in all that stretching merely maintaining my flexibility (or lack there-of). I have no idea if this will happen or not, but I'm hoping that by squatting and deadlifting the extra weight will help stretch me out a bit. I mostly stretch by standing on the stairs with half my foot off the stair, or putting my toes against the wall and leaning my heel into the floor. If you have any other suggestions I would love to try them out!

What you're already doing is what I'd reccommend, other than see how much you can lift without the plates, even if it means dropping what you can lift considerably. Just try bodyweight movements without the plates. My guess is by keeping the plates under your heels you are enabling your tendons to stay tight, so that even though you stretch the tendons aren't challenged under the stress of lifting. Or at least that's how it seems to someone who doesn't fully understand the condition you mentioned.  You might want to ask the warriors about it, but I'm pretty sure the consensus is that proper form is way more important than number of pounds.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'll keep than in mind, thanks Tanktimus! I squatted at a gym for the first time today (which had mirrors) and I feel that helped my form a lot as well.

My name is Alex and I'm 23. I found this site about a month ago and read through a bunch of the articles and found motivation in them. I'm a former Division 1 NCAA swimmer and have just started competing again with a Masters program while I am in pharmacy school after a year off. I've always been a little on the big side (nothing terrible), but I could do to get a bit leaner. My main motivations are to improve my swimming times (hopefully getting back down to my college times), along with looking better in a speedo (but that's just a side effect).

I sustained a fairly serious knee injury requiring surgery in high school which plagued me all the way through college. I've never *really* lifted before for fear of dislocating my knee again (although it still happened way too often). My coach was also nervous of me doing upper body lifts because if I hurt a shoulder I'd be in trouble. However, since I'm not competing as seriously anymore, I've decided to start actually lifting. I started doing bigger lifts like squats, deadlifts, military presses, and bench presses. I really enjoy them. I have to use plates under my heels in squats due to tight heel cords, but I think I get the same overall benefits. I also started eating semi-paleo, at the very least *much* healthier. I look forward to participating here. Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!

Hey there Alex!  Welcome to Nerd Fitness!  Only echoing other sentiments at this point, but great goals!  You sound like you've got a good understanding of where you are now and a strong idea of where you want to go.  You came to the right place in order to get any help/advice/support on getting there, as well as some damn fine company.

Happy New Year to you, and best of luck in your journey!

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

Archived