Forums are back in action! ×

--excellentworth-- Introduction

I am 34 years old and am currently in the best shape of my life thanks to numerous life changes in the past 2 years.

I've been following the nerd fitness blog for over a year now, but have never been active in the forums at all, I'm going to start on a 6 week challenge and thought I'd just start out shareing my story.

at 32 years old I realized I was at the worst shape of my life.  I weighed 185lbs, my doctor was telling me I needed to loose weight, I had bad colesterol, hypertension, I was constantly tired, and couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without loosing my breath.  The doctor spent a good amount of time talking to me about diet and excercise, and I knew at that point I needed to change.  At my doctors recomendation I started making better choices about what foods I ate, and was doing 30 minutes of activity daily.  I was starting to feel better but was still having issues of falling asslep at work, not being able to watch a tv or movie without falling asleep.  I had a sleep study done and was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea.  When I got the resuts back my doctor told me that this was the worst case of it he had seen (AHI over 100).

The beginning of 2011 was a new beginning for me, I got my BiPAP machine and actually was getting good sleep at night.  in 2011 I had energy to start being more active.  I had a elliptical at my house and started doing that every day for half an hour.  That summer I started following the nerd fitness blogs and after reading http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/30/a-beginners-guide-to-biking/ thought I would like to get into bikeing and I purchased a 1966 schwinn racer off a classified ad.  I started bikeing nearly every day that summer, and then in the fall also started lifting and over the corse of 2011 I had lost 60lbs. 

In 2012 I purchased 2 new bikes, did a bike-thon-ride first long ride (62 miles) Did another one (25 miles) started doing fitness classes, continued lifting, and started running outside.  I had lost another 20lbs over 2012.  My goal was to be down to 200lbs by the end of 2012 and I just have 5 more lbs to go to get there now. This is going to be one of my goals for the 6 week challange starting on monday.

I am greatful for all of the great information and encouragment I have been getting from the blogs and look foward to spending more time in the forums this year

--excellentworth-- 

level 2 Human. Adventurer at heart, training with the Rangers

Ps. 24:3,4

STR 4|DEX 3|STA 5|CON 6|WIS 5|CHA 5

Archived