Forums are back in action! ×

What's your hands-on hobby?

Evicious

Oh I used to be a gamer, just like you. But then I took an arrow to the knee.

What I want to say is that I realized that for me, there are more important things in life, so I quit online gaming for good. Nowadays I only play hotseat civ5 or MK with friends. It was more on a metaphorical arrow I guess.

I quit gaming for quite a while after I started my business. I just didn't have time.

Right now all I do is single player things like Diablo 2 and Starcraft. My family has a Diablo LAN campaign going, which is fun. :)

But no MMO's for me anymore, it involves too much overhead for me right now.

Anduril, level 3 human adventurer

(ranger wannabe)
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 3.5 | CON 6.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5

Intro thread | Daily Journal
Top weight 211, currently 184, goal weight 150 (5' 8-1/2")

Life has no remote; you have to get up and change it yourself.

I hate to say this, but.... THIS THREAD IS IN SERIOUS NEED OF PICTURES!!!

Having a lot of trouble uploading, and I can't seem to link from FB ... :(

Anduril, level 3 human adventurer

(ranger wannabe)
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 3.5 | CON 6.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5

Intro thread | Daily Journal
Top weight 211, currently 184, goal weight 150 (5' 8-1/2")

Life has no remote; you have to get up and change it yourself.

I quit gaming for quite a while after I started my business. I just didn't have time.

Right now all I do is single player things like Diablo 2 and Starcraft. My family has a Diablo LAN campaign going, which is fun. :)

But no MMO's for me anymore, it involves too much overhead for me right now.

Only thing I still play alone is final fantasy 10, where I only haven't killed Deus and Nemesis aswell as a few Dark Aeons (Bahamut and up). But I  rarely, rarely touch it. 

I hate to say this, but.... THIS THREAD IS IN SERIOUS NEED OF PICTURES!!!

Ow my Eyes. I love pictures though. Here's a completely unrelated cat for example

zaWUE.gif

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

My hobby is lifting things. Seriously :) But outside of fitness? I don't know. I used to do a lot of web dev, but now I do that as a part of my job. I also used to play bass, write, read, and draw a lot. Should probably start those again :) (If this post seems brief or anything like that it's because I'm using my phone and don't want to type a lot :))

BASS <3.  I really miss playing bass myself.  I need to save up money to buy a new amp.  I played on a borrowed one for months until my friend needed it back.  Haven't played in at least a year now :[

“Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.â€
- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

STR 3 CON 2 STA 3 DEX 3 WIS 2 CHA 2

~Adapt and Overcome~

Challenge http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22528-new-beginnings

Log http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22111-elefevers-log/

I brew beer. Because beer is the gods' gift to man.

Great minds think alike! A few buddies of mine have been doing it for years but I'm just now starting to do it myself too. I'll be making my first batch in the not-to-distant-future.

Porkchop / Level 4 / Mammal-Adventurer

STR - 14  DEX - 4  STA - 7  CON - 11 WIS - 13  CHA - 7

“Wherever you are...be all there†

Challenge #4

Try looking out for groupons for shooting lessons.  We get a ton in the Boston area because in MA you  have to take a safety course.  Usually they'll teach you, discuss safety and then take you out on the range.  If you already know how to shoot or know someone who does, see if you can get in at a range that's open to the public or be taken as a guest to a members only one.  If I take someone, I'll let them use my stuff as long as they pay for ammo so it's cheap for them.  Most people are willing usually pretty excited to share their knowledge with others as long as they're safe on the range.

Thanks for the info! I don't think that you have to take a safety course in NH, but most people I know take one anyway, so I can definitely look into that. Also, my father-in-law's a member of the VFW in the town next door, and I think this may give him range rights; since I was in the Army for a few years myself, he's been meaning to take me up there for a drink, so I can find out when he does. Also, definitely agree that the power tools will have to wait, alas. It was easy when I was living with my mom and dad; my dad has a garage full of goodies, and I got to build a rose arbor with them the last summer I lived there, but now they're far away in Denver... It's always nice when someone else is buying and storing them, and you just get to play with them ;)

Level Two Human Adventurer, roaming central New England in search of wild derivatives

STR 3.5  DEX 5.25  STA 3.5  CON 4  WIS 5.25  CHA 4

"You know how some people consider 'may you have an interesting life' to be a curse?... @#%& those people. Wanna have an adventure?" -xkcd

First challenge thread here! :)

Great minds think alike! A few buddies of mine have been doing it for years but I'm just now starting to do it myself too. I'll be making my first batch in the not-to-distant-future.

Ahh the greatest of arts. Nothing beats a meticolously done homebrew.

Level 4 Human Ranger

Thanks for the info! I don't think that you have to take a safety course in NH, but most people I know take one anyway, so I can definitely look into that. Also, my father-in-law's a member of the VFW in the town next door, and I think this may give him range rights; since I was in the Army for a few years myself, he's been meaning to take me up there for a drink, so I can find out when he does. Also, definitely agree that the power tools will have to wait, alas. It was easy when I was living with my mom and dad; my dad has a garage full of goodies, and I got to build a rose arbor with them the last summer I lived there, but now they're far away in Denver... It's always nice when someone else is buying and storing them, and you just get to play with them ;)

First off...thanks for your service :)  I've been a military girlfriend for about 4.5 years now, thankfully only through one fairly short deployment.

If you're in NH and can afford it or save up for it, I HIGHLY recommend the courses at Sig Sauer Academy.  I've taken the first two in their handgun series and both were excellent.  It's probably the safest I've felt in a class/range too because there was one questionable guy and they kicked him out.  Of course with my luck, he was originally assigned as my partner and sketched me out even while we were just loading magazines. 

The really fun thing is that they use frangible ammo (unfortunately expensive) so you can shoot metal targets without fear of ricochet.  So they have competitions during the classes where you pair up and compete to knock down the remote controlled targets before the other person.  If you're too good, the instructor might reset one of your targets on you lol.  The first in the series was a morning in the classroom and afternoon on the range with the ammo included in the price of the course.  The second course you get to pick your firearm from their armory and you pay for the ammo...you're on the range pretty much all day.  I had a a lot more fun the 2nd day because I didn't like the gun we used the first day (I have TINY hands...and I'm picky) and because you get far more time on the range.  Where you were in the military, you might be better off skipping to the 2nd class unless you really need a refresher. 

Danielle, Level 2 Forest Nymph Adventurer

STR 6.5 | DEX 2 | STA 4+1 | CON 9 | WIS 6+1 | CHA 3+1

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Challenges: 1 2

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

Background | MFP

Ahh the greatest of arts. Nothing beats a meticolously done homebrew.

I already bake bread; why do I have a feeling this is the next logical step? Awesome. :D

First off...thanks for your service :)  I've been a military girlfriend for about 4.5 years now, thankfully only through one fairly short deployment.

If you're in NH and can afford it or save up for it, I HIGHLY recommend the courses at Sig Sauer Academy.  I've taken the first two in their handgun series and both were excellent.  It's probably the safest I've felt in a class/range too because there was one questionable guy and they kicked him out.  Of course with my luck, he was originally assigned as my partner and sketched me out even while we were just loading magazines. 

The really fun thing is that they use frangible ammo (unfortunately expensive) so you can shoot metal targets without fear of ricochet.  So they have competitions during the classes where you pair up and compete to knock down the remote controlled targets before the other person.  If you're too good, the instructor might reset one of your targets on you lol.  The first in the series was a morning in the classroom and afternoon on the range with the ammo included in the price of the course.  The second course you get to pick your firearm from their armory and you pay for the ammo...you're on the range pretty much all day.  I had a a lot more fun the 2nd day because I didn't like the gun we used the first day (I have TINY hands...and I'm picky) and because you get far more time on the range.  Where you were in the military, you might be better off skipping to the 2nd class unless you really need a refresher. 

Thanks for the info! This sounds sweet (though it might have to wait a while, what with classes. Phoo!) I didn't get nearly as much time with handguns as I would have liked in the Army, since the focus is logically on the M16 (I was my squad's grenadier for a while too, so that was pretty sick). As a civilian now, though, small arms are the logical way to go (and dang cool besides).

There was a call for more pictures earlier in this thread; perhaps I shall try to remedy this soon, as I only have a sleeve and the collar left on a freshly-knit cardigan. Cheers, all :)

Level Two Human Adventurer, roaming central New England in search of wild derivatives

"You know how some people consider 'may you have an interesting life' to be a curse?... @#%& those people. Wanna have an adventure?" -xkcd

I already bake bread; why do I have a feeling this is the next logical step? Awesome.  :D

You bake bread? Oh wow, thats really cool! Do you by any chance know if there is a way to make paleo/primal approved bread? I tried searching for a while but was unable to come up with anything. I'm aware that the main ingredient in bread is grains, but there simply MUST be some replacement for flour. Maybe coconut? You think coconut bread would be edible? And delicous?

Level 4 Human Ranger

You bake bread? Oh wow, thats really cool! Do you by any chance know if there is a way to make paleo/primal approved bread? I tried searching for a while but was unable to come up with anything. I'm aware that the main ingredient in bread is grains, but there simply MUST be some replacement for flour. Maybe coconut? You think coconut bread would be edible? And delicous?

Well this comment wasn't for me but I also bake bread, love bread and am considering doing a paleo/primal/hybrid diet soon.  I've seen a bakery that does a coconut flour bread and an almond flour bread.  Haven't tried making them myself though.

I've started a pinterest board to gear up for my new challenge.  Here's a recipe for paleo crackers I found:

Paleo crackers - combine 3 medium peeled plantains, 8T coconut oil, 1/2-3/4t salt in food processor. Divide in half and roll to desired thickness. Bake 10min at 300degrees. Cut into shapes and bake another 50min

And here's one for paleo bread: http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/  Looks a little dense but might be good

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Background | MFP

Well this comment wasn't for me but I also bake bread, love bread and am considering doing a paleo/primal/hybrid diet soon.  I've seen a bakery that does a coconut flour bread and an almond flour bread.  Haven't tried making them myself though.

I've started a pinterest board to gear up for my new challenge.  Here's a recipe for paleo crackers I found:

Paleo crackers - combine 3 medium peeled plantains, 8T coconut oil, 1/2-3/4t salt in food processor. Divide in half and roll to desired thickness. Bake 10min at 300degrees. Cut into shapes and bake another 50min

And here's one for paleo bread: http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/  Looks a little dense but might be good

Wow! Thank you so much for this! I can't wait to get my hands onto some paleo bread. My breakfast will be sooo much better.

I'm also goin to try your crackers, they sound great aswell.

Also sharing the knowledge is always appreciated

Level 4 Human Ranger

Pictures?

If I can figure out how to post them...

My corset:

50f484bc5a2fa_CorsetII134.jpg

I do have pictures of me in this somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where right now...

My first finished plushie - Elena from the Turks in Final Fantasy VII (finished her on Saturday):

50f485358897e_CorsetII198.jpg

Being a bit of a perfectionist (and insane to boot), she has on a proper tailored jacket, complete with roll collar and top stitching.  The jacket is all of 5in top to bottom...

Little Miss Gibson, Half-orc Adventurer [1]STR 4|DEX 3|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

Current challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22168-little-nerds-first-challenge/

Mini-challenges: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/23509-adventurer-mini-challenge-3/

Inventory: 6ft oak staff; baby carrots; rat-tail; 10 silver pieces

Haha cool, newcs is a ninja! :D The recipe she linked to looks awesome (as do those crackers, by the way.) I've also found this recipe, which also looks pretty yummy, and this coconut flour bread recipe. I'll note that the recipes for grain-free bread mostly consist of nut flours (think of a decadent French torte, made with ground nuts- mmm) and contain a good bit of egg; that protein structure is going to be essential in gluten-free baking, also, several gluten-free/grain-free recipes I looked at called for a smaller pan, to hold the bread in form while it's baking. (From what I can gather in comments, it seems most recipes that call for a smaller specialty pan can be baked in a regular loaf pan, and will turn out predictably stumpy but still delicious.) I've also seen several gluten-free recipes that feature either lentil or quinoa flour; I don't know if these two flours would pass the "Paleo test", but they might be worth checking out too- at the very least they would be crammed with protein! (I'm not currently Paleo myself, but I could see myself eventually moving towards an 80/20 Paleo lifestyle, and also find the idea of gluten-free/grain-free bread fascinating as a bit of a cooking nerd. If so, then the fresh yeasty whole-wheat loaves can be part of that 20 percent, yum...)

Pictures?

My corset:

I do have pictures of me in this somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where right now...

My first finished plushie - Elena from the Turks in Final Fantasy VII (finished her on Saturday):

Being a bit of a perfectionist (and insane to boot), she has on a proper tailored jacket, complete with roll collar and top stitching.  The jacket is all of 5in top to bottom...

These are both wonderful! And that plushie is adorable (I'm such a sucker for plushies). That is all. :)

Haha cool, newcs is a ninja! :D The recipe she linked to looks awesome (as do those crackers, by the way.) I've also found this recipe, which also looks pretty yummy, and this coconut flour bread recipe. I'll note that the recipes for grain-free bread mostly consist of nut flours (think of a decadent French torte, made with ground nuts- mmm) and contain a good bit of egg; that protein structure is going to be essential in gluten-free baking, also, several gluten-free/grain-free recipes I looked at called for a smaller pan, to hold the bread in form while it's baking. (From what I can gather in comments, it seems most recipes that call for a smaller specialty pan can be baked in a regular loaf pan, and will turn out predictably stumpy but still delicious.) I've also seen several gluten-free recipes that feature either lentil or quinoa flour; I don't know if these two flours would pass the "Paleo test", but they might be worth checking out too- at the very least they would be crammed with protein! (I'm not currently Paleo myself, but I could see myself eventually moving towards an 80/20 Paleo lifestyle, and also find the idea of gluten-free/grain-free bread fascinating as a bit of a cooking nerd. If so, then the fresh yeasty whole-wheat loaves can be part of that 20 percent, yum...)

The First one has baking soda, so not paleo. But the second one sounds nice (the coconut flour bread) I'm probably gonna replace the ghee though, since I'm not sure if it is available, without any additives, where I live. Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Level 4 Human Ranger

If you're in NH and can afford it or save up for it, I HIGHLY recommend the courses at Sig Sauer Academy. 

Too bad I'm so far away, that sounds really interesting. I've been getting more interested in handguns lately, after this last year's bear issues when I discovered that carrying around a shotgun was too darned hard while working. A powerful sidearm might be just  ticket. But I also have very tiny hands and am worried I can't find a suitable bear stopping weapon I can hold. Colorado is an open carry state so I can carry as long as it's out in the open with no problems. 

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Too bad I'm so far away, that sounds really interesting. I've been getting more interested in handguns lately, after this last year's bear issues when I discovered that carrying around a shotgun was too darned hard while working. A powerful sidearm might be just  ticket. But I also have very tiny hands and am worried I can't find a suitable bear stopping weapon I can hold. Colorado is an open carry state so I can carry as long as it's out in the open with no problems. 

I'm not sure what qualifies as "bear stopping" but I'm 99% sure you can find a 9mm that fits your hand.  I have TINY hands.  Like I get called baby hands and can't try on rings in stores unless I go to the kids section.  I got a single stack 9mm with a slim grip and it's perfect.  Anything that's double stack will likely hold more in the magazine but will also make the grip much larger so that was out for me (plus I'm in MA so we're limited on post-ban mag capacity anyway).  Would noise alone scare off a bear?  My dad usually carries a .22 when he's out in the woods "just in case"...I haven't asked what just in case covers but I assume it's to scare off or if necessary, fend off an animal.

Background | MFP

Pictures?

My corset:

I'm so impressed!  I have a couple sewing projects but they're like elementary school level and still daunting to me.  I want to start using silverware at work and stop using plasticware but need something to keep it in to store in my desk so I was thinking a sort of travel silverware roll up with a slot for fork/knife/spoon/paring knife.  I'm also planning on making pallet benches for my house and want to make cushion covers but those will wait til I figure out the measurements.

Background | MFP

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.  The plushies I'm making are the first thing I am truly proud of :) (being a perfectionist means I'm used to pretty much everything never being good enough...)

I'm so impressed!  I have a couple sewing projects but they're like elementary school level and still daunting to me.  I want to start using silverware at work and stop using plasticware but need something to keep it in to store in my desk so I was thinking a sort of travel silverware roll up with a slot for fork/knife/spoon/paring knife.  I'm also planning on making pallet benches for my house and want to make cushion covers but those will wait til I figure out the measurements.

We all start at that level, I'm just lucky in that I've been sewing since I was 3 or 4 years old.  That makes about 28 years of practice! Like any craft, it really is practice makes perfect.  Those sound like good projects, ones that you can really get your teeth into.

Looking at all these people who can crochet makes me wish I could do that.  I can knit (if slowly), and I also dabble in bobbin lace, tatting, needle lace and embroidery.

I also play guitar (between us my husband and I have 10 guitars and 4 amplifiers, including a Marshall half-stack in the living room...), although I have problems with my tendons that prevent me from practicing seriously these days. :(

Current challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22168-little-nerds-first-challenge/

Mini-challenges: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/23509-adventurer-mini-challenge-3/

The First one has baking soda, so not paleo. But the second one sounds nice (the coconut flour bread) I'm probably gonna replace the ghee though, since I'm not sure if it is available, without any additives, where I live. Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Found a recipe for ghee: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/15235810877/d-i-y-ghee

My mum's made it in the past, and I don't remember it taking her long.

I wouldn't say that I can do them when the power is out, but I love doing fabrication work of any type.  I'm already a certified MIG welder and I'm taking classes for my TIG certification right now.  It's very addictive seeing the metal get bonded together and feeling the heat coming off that (long as you don't get burned).  

Same time, the love of fabrication translates well to wrenching on cars and trucks.  Love doing that.  Gives a great sense of accomplishment when you fix something.  

Also, my wife and I brew beer (think I've stated that before in another thread).  Last year we did about 20 gallons over the course of the year (only about 4 batches, but its harder drinking 20 gallons of beer then you'd think).  

Found a recipe for ghee: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/15235810877/d-i-y-ghee

My mum's made it in the past, and I don't remember it taking her long.

Dear me! It's made from butter, sadly that isn't paleo either. Thank you for the suggestion though. :)

I wouldn't say that I can do them when the power is out, but I love doing fabrication work of any type.  I'm already a certified MIG welder and I'm taking classes for my TIG certification right now.  It's very addictive seeing the metal get bonded together and feeling the heat coming off that (long as you don't get burned).  

Same time, the love of fabrication translates well to wrenching on cars and trucks.  Love doing that.  Gives a great sense of accomplishment when you fix something.  

Also, my wife and I brew beer (think I've stated that before in another thread).  Last year we did about 20 gallons over the course of the year (only about 4 batches, but its harder drinking 20 gallons of beer then you'd think).  

An acquantaince of mine once welded together some pipes for a homemade BBQ and did so withough wearing goggles for it. Lets just say the amazing BBQ was NOT worth the 2 weeks of not being able to see. Thankfully he didn't injure his eyes permanently.

Level 4 Human Ranger

Archived