Forums are back in action! ×

What's your hands-on hobby?

Evicious

I'm only 27 and I knit AND crochet so you're in good company.  Then again, when someone told me I was old, my mom responded to them "she's been old since birth"

If it's any consolation I've been a grumpy old man since about 16. I had grey hair before I was old enough to drink. Ain't nothing wrong with an old soul.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

If it's any consolation I've been a grumpy old man since about 16. I had grey hair before I was old enough to drink. Ain't nothing wrong with an old soul.

haha yeah I'm actually pretty ok with it.  I figure when I'm actually old, I'll have so much practice that I'll be awesome at it.

Danielle, Level 2 Forest Nymph Adventurer

STR 6.5 | DEX 2 | STA 4+1 | CON 9 | WIS 6+1 | CHA 3+1

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Challenges: 1 2

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

Background | MFP

haha yeah I'm actually pretty ok with it.  I figure when I'm actually old, I'll have so much practice that I'll be awesome at it.

Do they hand out awards for that sort of thing? Largest number of cats? Most time spent knitting? If you're an all-around stellar old person, do you get the "Old Person of the Year" trophy?

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

Do they hand out awards for that sort of thing? Largest number of cats? Most time spent knitting? If you're an all-around stellar old person, do you get the "Old Person of the Year" trophy?

Could be the next big pageant! Just have to make sure the contests don't strain actual old people too much.

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

I figure I'll just aim to have grandkids who will get me all sorts of obnoxious "world's best grandmother" merch

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Background | MFP

I do a little bit of everything that I can get my hands on. I've never really settled on any one (or even a handful of) medium/s that are my favorite. Right now I primarily knit, plan, and dream. (I'm in the process of making a home on very little funds and I don't even have a desk for myself yet so most of my hobbies are in the write-it-down-so-I'll-remember-it-when-I-have-what-need-to-do-it stage) If I had to list the top five things I was most likely to be caught doing if time and money were not concerns they'd probably be: (in no particular order)

Knitting

Building (and/or painting of staining/finishing) something (I am building all the furniture we need but don't have, bookshelves and a desk are first on my list)

Photographing things

Painting

Any number of random sentimental/decor projects

I am a very "functional art" kind of person (which is one reason I had so much trouble in art school) and I love to create things that are specifically designed for the end user, whether that means physical design or sentimental design. I would much rather have artwork hanging on my wall that I love because they mean something to me than because they were pretty and/or expensive. When I do projects for others I love to get them involved in the process and really create an end product that is theirs and could not have been made for anyone else. Because of that mindset I tend to always be looking at things and either mentally figuring out how I could create the same thing on my own, but with this or that tweak to make it perfect, or filing it away in the back of my mind to learn how to do eventually. I think it's this aspect that will keep me from ever settling down artistically.

Dwarven Adventurer

Level 1

Str: 2  Dex: 3  Sta: 1

Con: 4  Wis: 4  Cha: 1

I love doing anything crafty. I would actually say I am more crafty than artistic, though I enjoy making art as well. I quilt, photograph and classify wildflowers, refinish furniture, cook, and work with oil pastels. My absolute favorite thing to do in the world though, is to work with clay. I like making bowls, pots, weird vases, anything really. I prefer hand building because I think you can make it look a little more unique and organic. I recently worked with some power tools in a different art class, and really liked it, so I am thinking about trying my hand at making some small furniture pieces soon. I think its the coolest thing in the world to make something new for yourself or others that can be used either functionally or as a cool decoration. 

I do a little bit of everything that I can get my hands on. I've never really settled on any one (or even a handful of) medium/s that are my favorite. Right now I primarily knit, plan, and dream. (I'm in the process of making a home on very little funds and I don't even have a desk for myself yet so most of my hobbies are in the write-it-down-so-I'll-remember-it-when-I-have-what-need-to-do-it stage) If I had to list the top five things I was most likely to be caught doing if time and money were not concerns they'd probably be: (in no particular order)

Knitting

Building (and/or painting of staining/finishing) something (I am building all the furniture we need but don't have, bookshelves and a desk are first on my list)

Photographing things

Painting

Any number of random sentimental/decor projects

I am a very "functional art" kind of person (which is one reason I had so much trouble in art school) and I love to create things that are specifically designed for the end user, whether that means physical design or sentimental design. I would much rather have artwork hanging on my wall that I love because they mean something to me than because they were pretty and/or expensive. When I do projects for others I love to get them involved in the process and really create an end product that is theirs and could not have been made for anyone else. Because of that mindset I tend to always be looking at things and either mentally figuring out how I could create the same thing on my own, but with this or that tweak to make it perfect, or filing it away in the back of my mind to learn how to do eventually. I think it's this aspect that will keep me from ever settling down artistically.

That is a great way to look at things! Anyone who gets your art is very lucky, and will treasure it forever. I like it when art has emotional value, we chose to buy some local art pieces when we went on our honeymoon instead of going to fancy restaurants or buying tourist stuff, and I am so glad we did.

I think its ok to never settle down artistically, you can try so many more things that way. :)

Science Fiction.  I've got my first draft done and now I'm in the editing phase.  I hope to submit it to a publisher in the fall. 

You should hold a contest for NF members to get a signed copy of your book! :)

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

That's an excellent idea. Maybe tie it in with the next six-week challenge.

As far as I understand no publisher has even seen it yet. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Although I sure would love a singed copy of another Rebes published Book :) Would be Awesome!

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

I do a lot of things with yarn... :) I like to knit and crochet, as well as cross stitch! I do a little bit of sewing, and even less drawing/painting. I occasionally enjoy to game, but spend most of time with the knitting needles. I'm working on a "Parisian Sweater" pattern than I got off Ravelry, which I hope to be wearing soon :)

Niwa no niwa ni wa, niwa no niwatori wa niwaka ni wani wo tabeta.

I have a Pinterest problem. Knit, sew, reupholstered chairs, bake, cook, terrariums. I'm in the process of building a bicycle. I also love coloring, so relaxing.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

a lot of crochet-ers...any knitters? I just learned...but I also like to paint...I paint robots mostly...though sometimes zombies. I'm not great but I'm still learning...I usually watch something nerdy (Doctor Who or BSG) and paint...and it's really relaxing. I sewed Caprica 6's dress...though it didn't turn out perfect.

a lot of crochet-ers...any knitters? I just learned...but I also like to paint...I paint robots mostly...though sometimes zombies. I'm not great but I'm still learning...I usually watch something nerdy (Doctor Who or BSG) and paint...and it's really relaxing. I sewed Caprica 6's dress...though it didn't turn out perfect.

I knit!  Up until a couple months ago, I could only knit/purl and barely increase/decrease so I was basically relegated to scarves and potholders.  I taught myself how to use DPNs and circs and I've finished some fingerless mittens and a hat since then.  I started on socks but didn't like how they were turning out so I have to pick those back up.  Working up to my first sweater but I haven't been able to pick a pattern yet.

What do you usually make?

Background | MFP

My biggest hobby is probably robotics- I mentor high school students and am at home in a machine shop (I also mentor the middle school lego robotics team and collect mindstorm legos). Now as far as home hobbies, I needlepoint, bake, read, and write. I want to spend more time practicing my fiddle. I plan to take up gardening this summer since we just moved into a house, and eventually I'd like to take up blacksmithing.

If there's any needlepointers in the detroit-ish area, let me know!

I'm also about halfway through the first draft of my first novel. I'd like to publish, but honestly just getting these ideas written and maybe privately bound would be good enough for me!

Level 2 Pandarian AdventurerSTR:7 DEX:2 STA:1 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:5.5

Daily Battle LogChallenge 2    Challenge 1

"Don't kill yourself in the machine shop; I don't want to deal with the paperwork."

Archived