Forums are back in action! ×

My name's Kristi, and I want to be Impa.

No, not old withered Skyward Sword Impa--badass, muscular OoT Impa. I'm going to my first big gaming convention in August, and I want to be an Impa! That's my time limit and my incentive.

I'm a 21-year-old female, 5'11" and around 160 pounds. I'm technically in the healthy weight range, and I appear slender, but I'm what my good friend calls "skinny-fat"; looking decent but not exactly healthy. My diet isn't crap: I rarely eat out and I've been vegetarian for the past seven years (transitioning to ethical omnivorism now), always being more or less careful with what I eat. (With that said, my diet could definitely use a good scrubbing.)

But working out has always given me a bit of trouble. I'm definitely guilty of starting a workout regimin only to abandon it when I get busy with school and work, and I don't even know how to lift--plus, my arm strength is and has always been nil. This makes the prospect of freelifting weights terrifying! :< But I thought that in joining this community, I could get some support and much-needed advice/direction.

I suppose I should also mention that Impa is the initial goal, but I of course want to make a lasting change in my lifestyle. :)

So, that's why I'm here. Hi! I hope to make some friends and companions in this journey to fitness.

EDIT: Silly me! I forgot to mention my current plan of action:

-Partial paleo, to start. Like I said, I'm starting from 7 years of vegetarianism, and I don't want to shock my system! (I had simple chicken breast with veggies for dinner, so I'm going to see how that goes over with my GI tract.)

-Daily exercise for at least 30 minutes. Right now, I'm doing a bunch of squats (no weights; I don't have any, and as I said don't know how to use them :x), some basic aerobics,  and freestyle dancing for cardio. 

-I want to learn how to lift! Starting in two weeks, I'll regain free daily access to my college's gym, which has a lifting area. Any tips or guidance would be overwhelmingly appreciated. <3

Hi Kristi! OoT Impa is definitely some great motivation. I remember working my butt off to have the guts to wear Midna's (end game) outfit, and had to keep it up for Sheik the next year. I love me some Zelda cosplay, therefore I love your initial motivator. :)

I would definitely recommend looking into the beginner bodyweight workout. I also lack a lot of upper body strength, so it's been a good starting point for me and it's easy to do without a gym. Might help you until you do find more knowledgable people about lifting (which we definitely have - I'm just not one of them).

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

You sound a lot like me! I was vegetarian for about two years before making the switch to paleo.. and quite frankly I think what I'm doing now is more ethical than before, what with grass-fed meat, farm fresh eggs, and no processed food! Plus I'm super excited that I'm going to join a CSA this spring! They are fully organic, and cart their veggies into town on bike whenever possible. So cool!

I was eating fish, which I think made the transition easier for me... but dropping wheat also helped with stomach issues a ton, so it's a good combo! PM if you'd like any advice/recipe ideas!

I'm also looking to start a weight lifting regime, and have a history of giving up shortly after starting :( But this time is going to be different, my friend! We are leveling up our freaking lives here. And we are going to be awesome.

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Hey everyone who's responded! Thank you so much for your support and advice.

I've been doing the Beginner's Body Weight Workout, as suggested by you lovely people, for the past week. It kicked my butt the first day, but (as also suggested) I've been alternating days (body weight and cardio) and I feel great! :]

Fonzico: Hooray! I'm always happy to hear from another veggie-going-Paleo! All of my friends and coworkers are freaking out. Seriously: "WHAT? IS THAT MEAT YOU'RE EATING?" Heh. And yes, the ethical omnivore thing is great! It makes me feel awesome about myself morally, and I honestly feel prettttty great physically already, too. The meat hasn't jarred my system nearly as much as I thought it would, though it has been at times slightly unpleasant. :< Oh well. I need that protein to build those muscles!

Also, of COURSE this time will be different--for both of us. Let's do this!!

I know, the most difficult part for me was admitting the changes I made to my veggie/vegan friends. I'm lucky that they haven't been too harsh about it!

Glad to hear your BWWs are going well! I know I was so sore when I started, I didn't think I'd be able to keep it up regularly enough, but that seems to have worn off, thankfully!

And I know what you mean about the meat... sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. I have to force myself to eat chicken, still. It just feels weird on my teeth. I love steak though, odd, eh?

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Archived