Forums are back in action! ×

Engineering my way to a better lifestyle

Hello.

I'm Jon, and I'm an Industrial and Systems Engineering student enrolled in my last class of undergrad. That basically sums me up because, like my major, I am very focused on the process and focused on optimizing my life to the furthest extent that I can.

At this point, I'm 6'-3" and on the decline weighing in at around 228 pounds (down from 240 around October). Historically my diet has been absolute garbage. Honestly, I could have probably gotten more nutrition from garbage now that I think about it. In the past couple of weeks, I've been making half-assed attempts to eat paleo, and it's been tough. So I did what any good engineer would do when he (or she, cause there's woman engineers too, guys) faces a problem - I made a plan. A really detailed plan. A probably too detailed plan. But that's just a little bit of how I am. Anyways, this plan addresses my diet, my workout schedule, and even what happens when I fail in either area (which I honestly think is just as important as coming up with a plan, because you give yourself a level of accountability).

Anyways, I've been enjoying the articles on NF for a few weeks now and look forward to being a part of this community. If you have any questions for me, ask. It's been a while since I've been on one of these forums things but I'm sure you guys still don't like to read. :tongue:

Welcome.

I did/do take the highly technical math-intensive approach to things.  I'm an engineer (civil/structural/aviation/general), numbers are what I know.  I reached my initial goal about 7 months ago (262 to 187).

Something worth checking out - The Hackers Diet.  Its a free online weight loss manual written by the guy that founded Autodesk.  It isn't really a diet per se (there is no food plan or eating rules really), it is more of an engineering manual for the body with regards to weight.   Most engineers get a lot out of it, as it is written by an engineer for engineers.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I love reading. Booyah. :P

Welcome to the rebellion! Having detailed plans isn't a bad thing, unless it's so detailed you never get to following the plan, which doesn't seem like the case. Congrats on what you've accomplished so far - especially when dealing with the last year of school. That isn't an easy feat.

As for going Paleo, you'll find a lot of us on the forums who can offer tips, recipes, and more. I'm actually primal, but a lot of my stuff tends to be paleo. I'm currently half way through my first month and it's kind of awesome. And even doing part-time paleo should help clean up your diet.

What else is in your plan?

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Welcome.

I did/do take the highly technical math-intensive approach to things.  I'm an engineer (civil/structural/aviation/general), numbers are what I know.  I reached my initial goal about 7 months ago (262 to 187).

Something worth checking out - The Hackers Diet.  Its a free online weight loss manual written by the guy that founded Autodesk.  It isn't really a diet per se (there is no food plan or eating rules really), it is more of an engineering manual for the body with regards to weight.   Most engineers get a lot out of it, as it is written by an engineer for engineers.

Gave it a read, really interesting. Thanks.

I love reading. Booyah. :tongue:

Welcome to the rebellion! Having detailed plans isn't a bad thing, unless it's so detailed you never get to following the plan, which doesn't seem like the case. Congrats on what you've accomplished so far - especially when dealing with the last year of school. That isn't an easy feat.

As for going Paleo, you'll find a lot of us on the forums who can offer tips, recipes, and more. I'm actually primal, but a lot of my stuff tends to be paleo. I'm currently half way through my first month and it's kind of awesome. And even doing part-time paleo should help clean up your diet.

What else is in your plan?

Hm, I guess I need to do more research. I had assumed that primal and paleo are synonomous.

My plan right now is basically stick to the diet with no compromise. Every time I make a mistake is 30 burpees (I hate burpees!). I thought about giving myself a cheat meal per certain timeframe, but I figured that would be psychological murder ("Well, I can have one slice of pizza now..." "I think I earned myself a hot dog," etc.) I also worked out a workout routine where I think I'll be interval training Mon Wed Fri and lifting Tues and Thurs, with the occasional Saturday thrown in after Krav. Oh yeah, and I'm taking Krav Maga classes 3 times a week, so I'll get a lot of conditioning from that, too.

As weather my time starts to free up, I'll probably find my way out onto the Ultimate field and hopefully joining up with a bunch of old teammates, practicing and competing with them. Throw in the occasionaly backpacking trip and I think come summer time I'll meet my goal of being in shape, whatever that ends up looking like.

but I'm sure you guys still don't like to read. :tongue:

My biggest organizational problem is where to put the books we drag home...so I got a good laugh.  I also find a pretty detailed plan useful - how can you adjust if you don't have a plan (I am INTJ - see me plan).  Welcome to the rebellion. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

-salutes a fellow engineer- 

Welcome to the rebellion! Good luck with everything. Everyone else has given the advice I would have, so consider me more of a fanciful hello. Meep. 

labingo

level 1 Feol Viera
Monk at heart, training with the Adventurers

STR 3 DEX 1 STA 2 CON 3 WIS 4 CHA 2

"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever...
Whether a parting last forever or merely a short time...
That is up to you."- Happy Mask Salesman

Archived