Forums are back in action! ×

Hmmm. Lets see I am in my second year of my improvement project. I dropped 30 pounds in the first 7 or 8 months then stalled kind a hovered there for a few months then gained 16 pounds back, so now I am back at it.

I have a little home made gym were I do mostly body weight with some crossfit thrown in and a lot of walking about 2 miles a day weather permitting, trying to force myself to start running I want to do the run for your life race here in September.

Some stats I am 55 years old 5â€10†and 226lb. Started at 243 The reason for my improvement plan, I am the youngest of 5 and when the first 3 sisters hit 60 found they have some form of cancer, so thought I might only have 5 years left better make them good ones.

So I broke my 5-year addiction to WOW, (god wish I could get those 5 years back) and started my Hank Improvement Project.

Hi Hank, I'm 55 also...although 56 is nearing.  If you want to start running and are doing a lot of walking, I think intervals are a good way to build up.  You'll start out walking 2 minutes, and sprint for 30 seconds; repeat 4 times (the 5th sprint should be pretty fast).   You just add on more intervals.  Then you shorten down your walking periods.  I always had trouble building up my cardio endurance, but this worked for me.  Went 2.25 miles at a jog a just before Christmas.  Welcome to the rebellion.  Oh - if you haven't done so, join the challenge.  Don't worry that it already started. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Tanktimus, My diet has been good for the last 13 months or so, except November and December when ate like a pig, but I am back to my light breakfast, salad for lunch and a decent supper. The biggest problem I have is that my wife and daughter are professional cooks, wife loves to cook breads and the daughter a pasty chef so there is always something cooling on the table.

Laureleye, you are right about how to get started, just need to push myself, my body is in good enough shape to do it, more of a mental block I think.

Taijibum, Thanks for my sisters, WOW was tough to kick, but after I did it was like my mind came back to life.

So I broke my 5-year addiction to WOW, (god wish I could get those 5 years back) and started my Hank Improvement Project.

I know exactly how that feels!  I played the same RPG for 11 years, and tried to quit a few times but always went back.  I finally went cold-turkey and deleted EVERY FILE on December 5, 2009.  Free and clear for 3+ years!  It's a different life.  I'm very excited for you!

If you hate running, try signing up for a 5k 2-3 months from now and then do the C25K.  I had to try a couple times before I got it to stick, but they key is to make sure you're walking enough.  If your shins start hurting, slow down to a walk.  It means your calves aren't strong enough yet.  If you just hate it 'cause you don't enjoy the running process...Well, I figure that makes you a normal human.  The rush is crossing the finish line, not running toward it.

Good luck!

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

I quit a bunch of time myself, but I would get an email come tank this for us and I would go back, finally I deleted all my toons from the server then uninstall everything. It was hard I played on a RP server and had whole another life there, which was much better then the real one.

As for the running I live in a fairly small community with a lot of 5K fund raisers I plan on doing, with a goal of doing the run for your life zombie race in September. New goal is to find a pair of good running shoes that won’t break the bank; my rebook walkers are beat to hell, from miles and miles of walking.

Archived