Forums are back in action! ×

Longtime nerd combining fun with fitness

Greetings,

My name is Phil and I am 25 years old. I have been following the site for 2 months now and have decided to jump in with both feet. I have been generally in good shape so far, but have been motivated to step it up to another level.

I came to realize that I am in the prime of my life and I dont want to look back 10 years from now and say "if only I had done...". My main motivation is to establish some good fitness habits that will last the rest of my life and allow me to enjoy life to the fullest and be physically able to do anything that piques my interest.

I have started to watch my diet and keep it 95% paleo and 99% carb free for the past 2 weeks. I haven't really seen any drastic results, but do feel better on average and find myself with more energy/strength.

Some of my athletic accomplishments include playing NCAA Div III football, running a 5K, and completing Tough Mudder. As far as goals for new experiences, I dont have any at the moment, but would like to keep myself ready for when that next challenge catches my eye.

If anyone has any experiences they would like to share that they have enjoyed that would be awesome!

Level 3 Tyrannosaurus Rex Ranger

*Current Stats*
STR: 9.85 DEX: 4.85 STA: 5.75 CON: 4.75 WIS: 7.1 CHA: 4

Current Challenge

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hi Phil, and welcome to the rebellion.  You are so right to start now, take it from someone who's about 10 years on in life.  I wish I'd found something like this site when I was your age...my life may have been very different by now.

This is a great resource for support and asking questions when you're starting something new, like power lifting or a martial art.  There's lots of great advice to be had.

I'm a Paleo girl myself, now, and I definitely feel and see the difference.  I'm not expecting a dramatic change for another 2-3 months, because your body takes time to clean itself up after you quit those bad habits, but as someone who's been doing it for about 6 weeks, let me encourage you to keep it up.  You may be fit enough that you don't see big changes in your physique, but by doing what you're doing you won't have a change and get big, either.

Cheers!

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

Guys! I totally forgot about this thread. I should have checked it more often. I have wrapped up the 6 week challenge and am gearing up for the next one. As far as the workout routine, I am sticking with bodyweight routines for now. I looked at possibly doing some kettlebell, but ultimately decided on bodyweight because I feel like it would be more exciting for me. The thought of being able to do handstands and other awesome bodyweight feats is rather alluring. The diet has been the biggest difference maker for me personally. I lost 10 pounds without really trying other than avoiding non paleo items. I am definitely a fan.

Level 3 Tyrannosaurus Rex Ranger

*Current Stats*
STR: 9.85 DEX: 4.85 STA: 5.75 CON: 4.75 WIS: 7.1 CHA: 4

Current Challenge

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived