Forums are back in action! ×

Here I am

Hello Rebels,

My name is Dan, and I stumbled on Nerd Fitness on accident. Seems to be a very serendipitous accident. I am a video-gaming, table-topping, cosplaying, comic-reading nerd! Very proud of it, too.

I am a martial arts instructor by trade. I have trained in the martial arts for nearly 25 years, and hold black belts in 4 systems with the highest being 5th Degree in Tae Kwon Do. One of the unfortunate side effects about devoting your life to teaching is that it becomes much more difficult for your own skills to progress. Hard to get to a regular class when you are the one teaching them. What does all this have to do with my fitness training?

2 years ago, I suffered a horrible accident while training in gymnastics. At the end of practice, I wanted to do just one more back handspring. Well, that really was the last one. Something happened, and the long and the short of it is I dislocated my right patella. After a visit to the hospital and all the tests that come with I learned 2 key things:

I needed surgery to get some pieces of my kneecap out as well as to smooth it out in there as well.

This condition is something that has been a ticking time bomb my whole life. It could happen to the other one too.

Doc told me no more heavy work for that knee. No more supporting my weight for kicking, and no more gymnastics. I was crushed. Gymnastics was something new and exciting to me, and kicking was my way of life. Well, Dr.'s orders or not, I HATE it when someone tells me I "can't".

I may not be able to control my genetics, but I could control the shape I was in which was pretty poor for me at the time. I went to rehab, and once that was over I hit the gym with a trainer. 30 lbs and 6% body fat later I felt years younger.

Well, 3 months ago I had a small setback. I hurt my knee again, but not as severely. I took time off and babied it. I babied it a little too much. Lost some of that muscle. Gained back some of the fat. So, here I am. Ready to fit it even harder than before. Wish me luck.

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

Welcome to the Rebellion Dan!  I would love to pick your brain about different disciplines you've worked on and any recommendations for a wannabe monk/assassin :ph34r:.  Look forward to seeing your challenge!

Paradox, Humor, Change

Level Four Half-Elf Ninja (Assassin/Monk)

Str: 15.25 l Dex: 12.25 l Sta: 10.25 l Con: 5 l Wis: 10 l Cha: 7

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Ninja Gecko Profile / Battle Chronicles

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am happy to share everything I have to anyone who wants to learn. Crazyhawaiian21 - it all depends on what your goals are. Some want self-defense. Others want sport. Still others are looking for fitness. I don't discriminate against any uses of the martial arts, but I do tend to qualify them. I like to do it all, but in the end I am most concerned with developing myself and others in a positive manner. I also place higher priority on my self-defense skills than being able to throw crazy jump spin kicks. Doesn't mean I can't/don't do those things. I love them actually. However, I keep my basic skills sharpest.

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

Archived