Forums are back in action! ×

Reintroduction - Building the She-Beast in 2013

Hello, rebels.

I posted in this fine community a while back, when I was just learning of the wonders of lifting heavy. I didn't stop lifting, but did drift into a more physique-focused community. I took part in a local NPC competition last August, and have since transitioned back to strength training instead of worrying about what my delts look like.

As a kid I was way scrawny, didn't play sports, did play flute and took part in theater and band. I thought sports weren't an option for me because I wasn't naturally strong and no one suggested that I pick up a damn weight. I never saw a woman lift weights so even though it seems dumb now, it never occurred to me. 

Got moderately fat when I finished college and started working as a computer programmer so I started doing light weights and cardio and got to a healthy weight. Stuck with aerobics, running, kickboxing, yoga, pilates and the like throughout my 20s. Then lo and behold when I was 32 or so I read the article on Spezzy and my life was changed.

My stats aren't all that impressive yet. I had no base at all. But I couldn't even bench the bar to start off and my 1RM at last test was 115lbs. I started squatting with 10lb DBs and max squat is now 150. My DL needs to be retested b/c I've figured out that I need a wider stance and that I was letting the bar get too far away from my legs. Anyway, I've come a long way and plan to get a whole lot stronger.    

I work with an online coach who is both a natural bodybuilder and a powerlifter. I'm currently rebuilding after a month and a half injury layoff. I may have over indulged at a friend's birthday party and fell over in high heels. Ankle was thoroughly sprained. Training right now is 4 days a week (two upper body, two lower body) plus 2 HIIT sessions. I'm just starting carb back loading, so we'll see how that goes.

Looking forward to being a part of this community again. It's a cool place.  

-Damzie

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side..."

Goals: Training (and eating) for strength. 

Stats - 34 years old, 5'7" and 130lbs of woman. And growing.

PRs: 150 Squat, 165DL (have since fixed form but haven't retested 1RM),115lb Bench

Nerd credentials: Very loving relationship with LOTR and other such "nerdy" literature, 34 solid years of social awkwardness. 

Thank you! It's good to be back!

-Damzie

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side..."

PRs: 150 Squat, 165DL (have since fixed form but haven't retested 1RM),115lb Bench

Nerd credentials: Very loving relationship with LOTR and other such "nerdy" literature, 34 solid years of social awkwardness. 

Agreed! None of my "real world" friends train the way I do, so it's always nice to connect with like-minded people. Thanks for the welcome!

-Damzie

Archived