Forums are back in action! ×

New City, Meet New People tips

EmlyAnne

So I recently moved to the St. Louis area for a new job. The job is great, and I get along well with my co-workers. Once I come home to the apartment though, it becomes a "what now?" scenario. There is a running group I have found (and ran with) that meets a few times a week; though running is only a part of who I am. 

How do you meet others with the same interests as yourself? It was easy back in college thanks to clubs and dorms... Now that that's over, its hard to figure out how to meet others interested in things like video games/movies/japanese culture. Tips?

Ninja Scout

LEVEL 1 Stats: STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

Meetups are a great way, if others in the area have already started them. It's pretty good in larger cities though, so that's where I'd start. I'm kind of in the same boat, so I know exactly what you mean. Meetup is the only thing I've found so far, besides dumb luck. Just google the term and you'll find it. Best of luck to you!

Dwarven Adventurer

Level 1

Str: 2  Dex: 3  Sta: 1

Con: 4  Wis: 4  Cha: 1

So I recently moved to the St. Louis area for a new job. The job is great, and I get along well with my co-workers. Once I come home to the apartment though, it becomes a "what now?" scenario. There is a running group I have found (and ran with) that meets a few times a week; though running is only a part of who I am. 

How do you meet others with the same interests as yourself? It was easy back in college thanks to clubs and dorms... Now that that's over, its hard to figure out how to meet others interested in things like video games/movies/japanese culture. Tips?

For the video games I'd strongly recommend going to a PC Bang, or computer caffee, or LAN party house. Really any place where people meet up to game. Should be full of the kind of people you seek. Maybe theres a barcraft in St. Lois you can go to. Video Games + Alcohol, always fun. I'd also recommend just going to the nearest bar and strike up a conversation with someone there. Sure there will be setbacks, but the bar should be THE place to meet people from you 'neighbourhood' or general are of town

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

This site seems to be popular and has meet-ups in St Louis, maybe you could try one http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/mo/saint_louis/

Hell they even have a Paleo group!! You'll probably find some other NF people there!!

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

yes, meetup and meetin are both good options.  Find other activities you're interested in and check out craigslist or post an ad yourself.  It can be kinda sketchy sometimes but I have made some great friends through CL.  If there is something you are interested in learning (art, language, skill) take a class and you'll meet people with similar interests.  Volunteering is also a good option.  As you get older it can get harder to meet people.  i've moved a few dozen times in my life and every time finding a group to hang with has been a challenge but if you put forth the effort it can be done.

I have used meetup.com as a good starting point to meet people with similar interests.

Even go to events that may bore you just to meet more people.

You need to be in a situation where you are constantly meeting new people, until you find the crowd or group that you really like and want to fit in with.

Then you can reduce the amount of meetups as you wish, and focus on the group you like to hang out with.

I'll second (third? fourth? fifth?) the meetups suggestion.  There's one in my town called "Nerd Fun" that does the sort of things that, well, nerds find fun.  

Another suggestion -- volunteer.  I don't make offline friends quickly, but I've made some very nice acquaintances by volunteering.  Local history is a big hobby of mine, so I joined a group that gives free walking tours of the city.  I'm interested in getting to know more people in the running community, so I've signed up to volunteer at some races.  

Sometimes, though, it's just serendipity that happens when you just get out of the house.  I bought a groupon for a massage shortly after I moved here, and discovered after about 10 minutes on the table that the massage therapist was as big of a Game of Thrones/Lord of the Rings/Neil Gaiman/whatever fan as I was.

Level 4 City Elf Scout

STR: 6 |  DEX: 5  |  STA: 9  |  CON: 8  |  WIS: 6  |  CHA: 6

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Meetups are great.  I use meetup.com all the time as my social outlet and am starting to get to know some people around my city as well.

I do plan to volunteer as well once my life gets more settled.

Keep close to nature's heart...and break clear away, once in a while,and climb a mountain, or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Level 2 Ogre "Scout In Training"

STR 2 DEX 1 STA 3 CON 3 WIS 6.5 CHA 4

Current Challenge: Walkabout The Shire / Prologue

Daily Battle Log / Life Journal - myepicadventure.net

Archived