Forums are back in action! ×

No longer the Chump

Hi there,

I'm new to the boards but I'm no stranger to Nerd Fitness. This is possibly my most favorite site. In the few months that I've been reading NF, I have learned so much and have had such an eye opening experience. I finally decided to take the plunge and purchase the Rebel Strength training guide. I'm a little bit nervous, but I'm super stoked! Here's a little bit about me:

I'm 27, 5' 6", and about 90lbs over weight. I'm not super nerdy and I don't understand all of the references people around here make, but I'd consider myself pretty nerdy. I'm a Nintendo elitest. I'll never have an Xbox or playstation and I'm pretty terrible at most video games, but I love them. My user name is Top Banana because my best friend and I like to play a lot of Nintendo games together; Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country Returns, etc. We also used to play Donkey Konga 2 a lot when we were younger (As in early 20's younger, not kids). Every time we played, she was the Top Banana and I was always the Chump Chimp. I've always been the Luigi to her Mario, the Diddy Kong to her Donkey Kong, and I don't mind because I'm not as good as she is when it comes to these games. But this is my life! I refuse to be the Chump Chimp in my own life. I realize that I need to go out on my own, find what works for me, and do it. I ususally look to my friends for advice or try to do the same work outs/diets that they do. Now I'm totally going rogue and doing what I know is best for me. Luckily, most people around me have been supportive. My mom even made me a fruit salad for me instead of a birthday cake :)

My plan of action is to stick to a pretty strict Paleo diet (go big or go home) and to follow the exercises laid out in the Rebel Strength training guide. I've already started tracking today.

Anyone have any advice?? One thing I'm worried about is the fact that I live in a condo on the 3rd floor. I can't do jumping jacks or run in place or anything like that so I'm looking for an alternative. Maybe going up and down the stairs?

Thanks for having me, fellow Rebels!

"The difference between hard and impossible is a thousand miles wide." -Bane

Welcome Top Banana,

I'm a Newbie as well and I've taken the huge step of joining the rebellion. I'm currently going through the Rebel Starting Kit. I've also found an iPhone app called myKitchen which is a Paleo based app that features tons of Paleo recipes and you can even plan out your meals for the week so you know what to get at the store. You and I took the first step and you and I will accomplish alot of things here.

Advice,

Just stick with it! That was my mistake for many years. I let obstacles block my progress, and I'm here to learn how to duck, dodge, jump and conquer obstacles just like Super Mario does! Just picture yourself as him and you'll be just fine!

Keep it real, or keep it moving! 

Welcome Top Banana,

I'm a Newbie as well and I've taken the huge step of joining the rebellion. I'm currently going through the Rebel Starting Kit. I've also found an iPhone app called myKitchen which is a Paleo based app that features tons of Paleo recipes and you can even plan out your meals for the week so you know what to get at the store. You and I took the first step and you and I will accomplish alot of things here.

Advice,

Just stick with it! That was my mistake for many years. I let obstacles block my progress, and I'm here to learn how to duck, dodge, jump and conquer obstacles just like Super Mario does! Just picture yourself as him and you'll be just fine!

Thanks Romeyb76!! I know exactly how you feel. I have tried so many different things for a few weeks, then quit before I was even able to see results. I definitely plan on sticking with this, especially because it's not a diet, but rather a whole lifestyle change. I'm already seeing improvements. Once I cut all the garbage out of my diet, I felt so much better. You and I will definitely go far, we have the PMA! Thanks for the words of encouragement. I wonder if I can get the mykitchen app, or something comparable, on my android phone.

Thanks again and Welcome!!

"The difference between hard and impossible is a thousand miles wide." -Bane

Archived