Forums are back in action! ×

Complete newbie here

Hey all, my name is Jesse and I'm pretty darn new to the whole "healthy" thing. The first thing I noticed when starting to work out at all is that my wrists gave out long before the rest of me gave out. I don't own, nor can I afford any dumbells or pretty much any other equipment. All I've got is a couple ankle and calf weights.

I'm 28 years old, born and raised in San Diego California, but recently moved to Rapid City South Dakota. I'm 5'11" and about 135 pounds. I'm built like a twig, it runs in the family. I don't expect to end up 200 pounds and able to benchpress small countries, but my long term goal is about 160 pounds with a short term goal of 140. I'm a pretty athletic guy, but I am incredibly unflexible...that is another area that I would really love to get sorted out.

My biggest concern, is gaining weight. I don't really have steady access to a kitchen, so right now 100% of my meals are made by someone making minimum wage. If there is a cheap, healthy way to gain weight by eating the right foods...foods that don't need to be cooked, please let me know.

One of the few things I do have in my corner is that I have the Black Hills, nature's gym, just 5-10 minutes away from where I live.

Anyways, thanks for having me everybody. Hopefully this is just the first of many, many steps to building a better me.

Level 1 elf adventurer.

• Strength (STR) -  1
  • Dexterity (DEX) -  3
  • Stamina (STA) - 2
  • Constitution (CON) - 2
  • Wisdom (WIS) -  3
  • Charisma (CHA)  - 4

Welcome to the rebellion. Looks like you've got some reasonable goals. When you say you don't have steady access to a kitchen what does that mean exactly? Some things can be made up for a few days worth of food at a time and held in a fridge and microwaved for example.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Couldn't stand that boring weather in San Diego, huh? If you don't have a gym, you'll want the beginner's body weight workout (or the angry birds). Click on the NERD FITNESS tab, and head over to the free resources. While you're there, you might also want to peruse the guide to healthy eating.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived