Forums are back in action! ×

10 push ups! (0 to 10 in 1.1 years)

Googolplex

10 good form push ups in a set this morning!  

It's been a long road... beginning of January 2012 I could do 4 incline push ups from a surface 56 cm high.  (I actually started in 2011 with the kitchen counter, which was higher, but I can't find those records just now.) Sometime in May 2012 I did my first real push up. I haven't been actively working on push ups all the time since then, and wasn't really consistent with exercising overall last summer. But the past few months I've improved my habits *and* nutrition *and* figured out that I wasn't breathing right when doing push ups.  And now, after being stalled at about 6-7 per set for months... 10!

Next goal, my first pull up! (Hoping that doesn't take another year though.)

Googolplex, level 4 monk,  My avatar

Great Job!

I'm at 3 - it's good to see there's a light at the end of the tunnel of work!

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

good luck with your first pullup ... it's a genuinely amazing feeling pulling that one off.

pushups are a trap ... my lifting coach made me move my arms a whole 3 inches and I went from 60+ to 10 being an issue.

I hate that guy.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

That is fantastic progress! I recently switched from knee push-ups to regular, and was shocked that I was able to do 5. Now I can do 7! Watch out 10, here I come!

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

yea for you!  The trainer I have at the Y was stunned when I told him that my sole goal was to be able to do a real pushup.  Of course, this involved tons of dips, triceps extensions, biceps curls, presses etc. and also coaching of form.  I can now usually do 10 and am working on pushing myself up from the floor into a pushup position, rather than starting up, going down, then up again.  It's harder than it sounds.

So, my new goal is to be able to do a pull up.  We've been working on this regularly (once a week with him, me on my own in between) for a month and it looks like a long road ahead!  I am compensating 140 of my 185 pounds to struggle to do 3 sets of 10.  With losing weight and gaining arm strength I hope I can do a real one by September.

good luck

Archived