Forums are back in action! ×

Changing my life for the better!

For as long as I can remember, I've never been in shape. From the early years in grade school to the present, I've always been severely overweight. I'm not pointing the blame on anything but myself. I never cared much for sports or any physical activities for that matter. I'm known to be stubborn and quite lazy. 

My life used to revolve around video games and the laziness that is commonly associated with them. I even took schooling to become a 3D Artist. After a few years, my interests changed. I like to think that I grew up. I slowly started caring about how I looked, and what I could do. My early years had many trials with depression and not being very happy in general. 

However, My interests, career, location, and main friends have all changed and for the better! I'm making quite a bit more money, I don't find myself with nothing to do on the weekends, there is always someone to hang out with or do something with, and am feeling generally better about myself. I find that there is really only one thing left for me to fix... my health. 

I'm 24 and currently estimate myself at around 400 lbs.... I would get a more accurate number, but a scale that goes that high just doesn't seem readily available to me. I've come to the realization of one thing: I'm sick of being like this. When I go see a movie, I can't stand having anyone next to me because I feel it would make them feel uncomfortable. Even my newest activities quading and sledding are difficult for someone like me because you need to be able to shift your weight at a moments notice. Everything in general is more difficult for someone of my size, and more awkward. I'm just plain tired of it.

So what am I going to do about it? Well, I've cut my pop(soda) intake from 3-6 cans a day to zero and replaced it with 90% water and some juice here and there. I've changed my picky eating ways and am moving my way to Paleo. I now fill my plate with at least half leafy greens and then some other vegetables and maybe 1/5th meat instead of half meat and the half pasta/potatoes. I now have a workout schedule. I'm doing the angry birds workout with light cardio on rest days. For the first few days, man did I hurt!! Doing body weight squats for the first time ever, it almost killed my legs. After those few days, the pain has gone down to a general soreness. Now I feel like I can keep up with it. Heck, just quitting off of pop makes me feel like a million bucks(comparatively of course)!

Before I finish this post, I want to say thank you to everyone on NF. All the articles and threads I have read have given me a new view on what I can accomplish and gives me a great amount of hope to a wonderful future (you know, as long as those documentaries about the world going to hell are false, haha)! I'd like to give a shout out to a friend of mine on here, he showed me NF and is going to be my encouragement on my progress to being healthy. His username is Church. Thanks a lot buddy!!

I like to end with a quote. I'm not religious, but I still believe in this to the end and feel it applies to this change in my life:

“The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?†   -Billy Connoly , The Boondock Saints-
“The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?† 
 -Billy Connoly , The Boondock saints
Level 2 Warrior

Thanks for your support! Glad to be here. I'm giving this all I got and am feeling great. Amazing how a positive attitude can change your view on yourself!

“The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?† 
 -Billy Connoly , The Boondock saints
Level 2 Warrior

Archived