Forums are back in action! ×

Wallace is a Sandbox

Hey Guys,

So a bit about me, I'm a third year Geneticist at the University of York and was sequencing mammoth DNA with my supervisor. Though, over Christmas I had something of a crisis and had to take some time out to reflect / something about defensive positions. 

I have 8 months until I return to complete my studies and I damn well want to make sure that they're used properly. Hence, I'm kind of living a sandbox mode. I have absolutely no commitments to anything other than my body and mind. I wanted to document my progress using NF because I need the motivation... plus I've always wanted to join the community. 

Oh also, it's probably best to mention that I've utterly slaughtered my cardio fitness with a 40/50 a day smoking habit & have barely moved a muscle beyond dancing in clubs. Obviously, I am in pretty bad shape. 

There's a few things I had in mind regarding habits (and would be happy to take recommendations):

1. Quit smoking.
  2. Visiting the gym 3 times a week minimum... Ideally 4. I have a workout that I used before. 
  3. I've finally put up a punchbag, which I would like to hope I can spend 30 minutes a day on, perhaps not all at once.
  4. Take an hour out of my day to learn something, I'm thinking a language at the moment. 

I know it's going to be a tough climb to develop these habits BUT I have total freedom and really no excuse beyond "I just couldn't be bothered". Eventually, I'd like to go abroad to do 6 weeks of something epic. Right now, I'm looking at training to box in the Rafael Trejo gym in Cuba, but I'm open to suggestions. I hear the gym welcomes travellers and the accommodation is pretty affordable if you know where to look.

So the story is, I'm petite and weak. I'd like to find some extra confidence and push myself to achieve something pretty spectacular during my 8 months of freedom. 

Cheers :-]

Look like a Lady, Think like a Dude, Work like a Boss. 

Haha, wow, that's a pretty hefty smoking habit.  I've heard smoking is pretty hard to kick, but reading over your intro you seem like the kind of person that can kick it if you really want.  It sounds like you've got a good plan, focus on your health and have some adventures.  I think if you stick to that, and don't get too bothered if you slip up occasionally, you're going to do everything you're looking to do and more!  Rock on, you got this

Level 1 Half-Giant Adventurer(STR) -3 (DEX) -2 (STA) -1 (CON) -2 (WIS) -3 (CHA) -4

Goals - 50 concurrent push-ups, 10 concurrent pull-ups, lose 80lbs

Noli timere - Mundus mihi est.

Woo another UK science rebel! Welcome along and good luck with the goals!! :)

Karma Stu

Level 1 Human Ranger

STR: 2 I DEX: 3 I STA: 3 I CON: 2 I WIS: 3 I CHA: 2

Karma restored

"You have to want it more than you want to continue feeling comfortable, and until you do, you're not going to change a damn thing - no matter how much you lament not being or doing what you 'want'." - Evicious

I am going to start combating my bad habits with a quit workout maybe that would help with quitting smoking? Essentially whenever I check my phone for texts/e-mails I have to do 2 pull-ups, and 5 pushups. I keep my phone on silent all the time so it isn't distracting. Maybe do a quick workout every time you have a craving and then skip a craving every other time would help... At the least it would make you get active :)

Race - Elf                                                STR - 3                    DEX - 2

Class - Ranger                                        STA - 3                    CON - 2

Level - 0                                                  WIS - 3                    CHA - 2

Ahhh geneticist-its like having inside an inside informant (kidding). I used to smoke-quit 3-4ish years ago after years of off and on smoking-something inside of me just said  "no more" if you listen something inside of you might say the same thing. Anyway-I quit cold turkey-. You'll quit when you are ready.

@Michael, that's a really good idea! Unfortunately I've only just seen this and I've already kicked the habit. I will certainly use this for other goals.

@Woolbert  haha what lab are you in? I'm currently in the science park ^_^ 

@harooneous  that's exactly what happened, something inside knew it was time and it was pretty easy actually. I was ready. Very happy about this. I've not had a single craving :-) 

@Terrormortus  Cheers for the tip, I've already got the software unfortunately… I've just been totally sucked in by Traktor! 

I've still got to pick something epic to do abroad for 6 week. Does anyone have any ideas? I think the cuban boxing gym would be great, I'm just worried that my gender will be a massive barrier. 

Cheers x

Look like a Lady, Think like a Dude, Work like a Boss. 

40-50 a day? Holy hell, please, for the love of Roddenberry, give up the fags!!!

You've sets some goals, and if you really want to, you can achieve them, but quitting smoking is step 1!

My mother smoked for 20 years and after 2-3 years the doctors told her that her lungs had fully recovered, so just think of that!

Go BIG, or go home.

Archived