Forums are back in action! ×

The Great Experiment

Hello all!

I came across this site a couple weeks ago when I was searching for ways to work out at a gym besides using the elliptical (I was totally that person) and I've been hooked ever since. I'm really excited to join the ranks and meet some fellow aspiring and successful life-changers.

I've been very overweight my entire life and, though I've always been trying to lose weight in some form or another, I've never been successful. I want it gone now more than ever before because it's holding me back from the things that I want to accomplish. I think one of the reasons I've never been successful is that I've always taken the "army of one" approach, and it hasn't gotten me very far. That's why I've joined this message board.  I've never done anything like this before and I'm a little nervous, which I think means I'm moving in the right direction.

The second reason I haven't been successful is that I tried to change too many things too quickly, so I would get burned out and revert to old habits. This time I have a plan! For extra nerd points I wrote it out in scientific research paper format (it works, I swear). Here's the gist.

Thesis: I want to lose 100 lb by the end of 2013 so that I can live a more adventurous life and start crossing things off my bucket list, like going to the 2014 Hogmanay Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Hypothesis: If I
   - Clean up me eating habits and go paleo
   - Set up a good exercise routine and explore new outdoor activities
   - Master my finances so I can pay for previously mentioned trip, plus more in the future
then I will be able to prove my thesis

Methods: I scheduled a specific, small habit change each week, with the focus on eating well during the first three months, ramping up my exercise during the next four months, and maintaining changes in both areas while I start taking a night course during the last four months.

Data: Here I'll record weekly weight and waist size

Results: To Be Determined

Conclusions/ Future Work: Just a small list of dragons to slay next year :-) I have fun things on here like "learn tae kwon do" or "hike a part of the Appalachian Trail", things that I never would have been able to  seriously think about  or afford in the past but probably wont have time for this year.

Well, it kind of works.  I had fun writing it, which is what counts. Anyway, that's my story. I'm an ogre that would like to become a ranger with aspects of the assassin, the monk and the druid thrown in there. So, in the words of Tobias Funke "Let the great experiment begin!"

Level 0 Yeti Adventurer with Assassin Aspirations

"Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving" - Albert Einstein

Archived