Forums are back in action! ×

Discovered the site yesterday...slightly addicted

Hi all,

A bit about myself.

I'm a grad student trying to improve my health and find workouts I love as much as riding horses (started in college, won't let myself ride until after Qualifying exams next year because I know I would spend too much time at the barn).  While I'm not a big meat-eater (sometimes going weeks without) there are aspects of the Paleo diet that appeal to me, and I'm trying to learn more about resistance training.  I reaggravated my rotator cuff in January; I actually came across Nerd Fitness while searching for new moves I could do at home without upsetting my supraspinatus (at least until the doctor clears me).  The articles are hilarious and informative, and I'm excited to try out a Challenge.

I'm trying out the beginner body weight workout (replacing pushups with some doctor-recommended moves to help my injury) to replace my old resistance routine, and doing either Zumba Core class (Kinect) or a Jillian Michaels video 5-6x a week to make sure I stay active.  If anyone has advice on good exercises that don't stress the shoulder (or the best way to combat protein cravings when regular meat consumption makes you queasy) I'd appreciate it.

Level 2 Half-Elf MonkSTR 6| DEX 4| STA 6| CON 4| WIS 6| CHA 2

lex parsimoniae

Current Challenge

First Challenge

I don't know how you feel about all meat, but, fish is really high in protein and good for you. I know its still technically meat, but to me, it sits easier on the stomach than say, pork chops, chicken, or steak. I really enjoy fish and veggies for dinner, because its super filling, low calorie, high protein, and I get that "Im eating something good for me" vibe that can make me smile. Even cans of tuna have a ton of protein per calorie. Also, eggs. I know nuts and peanut butter (and cheese) have some, but if you're watching you're weight it'd be harder to get protein from that without weight gain. Also - if you do decide to try Paleo, peanut butter and cheese isn't on the list :) 

I know you're studying a lot (and its still a colder time of year). Have you tried putting meats into stews? Like I said, I don't know how much you want to avoid them, but I find that a potato & meat stew also goes down a little bit easier than just a hunk of steak, and is pretty satisfying on a cold day with a textbook. 

I know these aren't exactly meat-free options, except for the eggs and nuts, but it is other ways to eat meat that might not feel as bad. If you really just wanted a lot of protein you could just get some protein powder and make some shakes/smoothies or mix it into a glass of water.  

Lvl 1 Khajit Ranger

Str - 4.5 Dex - 3 Con - 1 Sta - 3  Wis - 4 Cha - 5

It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.

I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now f*** off.

Katriana's got it; eggs, nut butter (which is paleo), protein powder.  I also have difficulty with meat, but found that I do okay if I keep the serving size down around 2-2.5 oz, but eat meat more consistently.  Are you doing PT for your shoulder?  I had a rotator cuff injury, and part of my PT was wall push-ups. 

You'll need to join a guild for the challenge - head for the CHALLENGE tab, and you'll find the info in the RULES & FAQS.  Welcome aboard. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Thanks for the info! My roommate is nearly vegan (technically vegetarian but she rarely eats dairy or eggs) and she's gotten me into almond butter, and eating more nuts generally.  I used to do a fried egg as part of my morning breakfeast (with a big side of broccoli), but I've been do a few too many cliff bars as I head out the door of late.  I've always had fish as pets so I tend to feel guilty eating it (weird I know).  For the last few years I've been eating meat when I crave it, which tends to be something like ground venison sauteed with onions, tomatoes, cabbage, or the like.  Small and regular (once a week?) may be the way to go.  Might be a good way to find a fish that doesn't weird me out, or try to find elk or ostrich in the area.

I'm seeing a sports medicine chiropractor (also the chiro for my college's sports teams as well as some professional teams), and he's given me a few moves to build the other parts of my rotator cuff back up.  I should ask him about wall pushups; I really do miss all the fun things that can be done in the pushup position...planks especially.

So I'm thinking Monk for the challenge starting next week...not sure about a race yet and debating between goals.

Level 2 Half-Elf MonkSTR 6| DEX 4| STA 6| CON 4| WIS 6| CHA 2

lex parsimoniae

Current Challenge

First Challenge

Archived