Forums are back in action! ×

47 yrs old and ready to make a change

Hello everyone!  I'm a 47 year old male who is ready for a change.  I'm 5'9" tall and weigh 170 lbs.  I was an active person up until about 5 years ago.  Since then, I've gained about 15 lbs (fortunately, I have a high metabolism and didn't gain more than that) and am completely out of shape.  I'd like to lose about 15 lbs and get back in shape.  I did the beginner's body workout yesterday (made it through 3 sets, but not all the recommended number of reps per exercise) and did a 2.5 mile walk today and hope to continue those workouts every other day.  My eating habits are generally good, except when I'm stressed, and then I go for the junk food (sodas and candies).  I travel a lot for my job so the body weight workouts are ideal for me.  Traveling makes it hard to eat well, so that will be a challenge.  So here I am sharing and looking for support as I make my exercising and eating better a part of my daily routine.  Any diet and exercise tips will be much appreciated.  Thanks for your time!!

Your workout plan looks good.  You should plan at least 1 rest day per week.  I had to start out with 2 rest days/week (2 strength training/3 cardio); don't worry if you need to do the same. 

Keep a healthier stash of junk, such as raw/dry roasted nuts, quality jerky.  In a pinch, you can add some fruit and raw veggies and turn them into lunch.  If you like boiled eggs, keep some around the house for snacking.

A challenge started last week, but you can join in and finish the last 5 weeks.  Click on the CHALLENGE tab and read the FAQ. 

Good luck. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Thanks for the tips Laureleye.  I do keep cashews and almonds at my desk and I travel with them as well...easy snacks.  I enjoy boiled eggs and I will start keeping them readily available.  Breakfast is usually black tea and a protein shake on the drive to work.  An apple and some nuts for a mid-morning snack.  Lunch is a salad with chicken.  Afternoon snack is an orange and some more nuts.  I have veggies (cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks) on my drive home.  Dinner will be a salad with some type of meat.  I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and will work on increasing that.  I think I may be eating too many nuts and should limit those to the recommended amount of 6-8 per serving.

I feel a little sore from the two days of exercising...but nothing unbearable.  I feel like I should step it up a notch in the exercise intensity but I don't want to do too much too soon.

As much as we like to think it doesn't matter, we're not 25 any more.  Better to start up slow and steady and not get injured. 

Isn't that the truth!  Our minds think they can do more than our bodies really can.  It's tough to slow down once you are exercising because you think you should be able to do the things that you were able to do just "a little while ago".  That "little while" is longer than we think and can get us in trouble.  I'm taking the slow and steady progress route for now but will keep myself challenged.

Welcome.

I'm your age, and while I've been more active, instill have to watch the intensity! It doesn't make ANY sense to my pea brain that I can't just do MORE! Just remember that strength and body composition grow and change after the workout...so there needs to be an after!

I saw something years ago that I am just starting to actually seriously adopt:

More is not better. Better is better!

I've completed three of the beginner's bodyweight workouts this week and did my walking on the other days.  I need to improve on my squats and lunges as I only did 10 of the 20 recommended and I was able to do the other recommended reps and time on the balance of the exercises.  I will bump up the squats and lunges to 15 next week and hopefully to 20 by the third week.  I felt naseous after the first two days of the workouts and I believe it was because I didn't have anything to eat prior.  Today I had half a banana and a few sips of my protein shake before starting and didn't get the nausea.  I'm feeling pretty good!!

I completed the beginner bodyweight workout in 18:36 today including my warmup.

I found that most grocery stores have salad bars by the deli section which makes eating healthy while traveling a little easier.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

I found that most grocery stores have salad bars by the deli section which makes eating healthy while traveling a little easier.

NicoleCanoes: Thanks for the tip.  I actually bought fruit from the grocery store while traveling this week.  I ate the fruit to instead of candies/chips between meals.  It worked out well.  I also filled a quart size bag of a mix of almonds and raisins for a healthy snack on this trip.

Archived