Forums are back in action! ×

My story and goals..

Hi everyone,

I'm Rippley (not real name). 20 years old, live in Rotterdam, the Netherlands and busy with high school. Want to be a lawyer when I grow up and I think I'm well on my way.

My weight loss story started quite a while back. I always used to be fat (1.73 m and 100 kg / 5'8 and 220 lb at my heaviest) and was never happy about it. As with anything men do the reason for me to lose weight was girls. I wasn't getting any and I wanted some so when I turned 18 I decided enough was enough. By playing sports 5 times a week (American Football and normal football) and a very strict diet in which I erradicated all fats and ate only a maximum of 1000 calories a day (I counted every single one of them) I went down to 73 kg (160 lb) in a year. I off course was feeling quite good with myself but I was never truly happy with the results. I still had a very minor belly but nonetheless I looked way better than before.

After losing all that weight I joined up with a gym and lifted weights (rippetoe's) for 6-8 months. Unfortunately I didn't eat clean at that point since I knew I had to eat a lot to gain muscle mass. But hey you try eating freaking clean if you just starved yourself for over a year. But don't despair, dear readers, the damage wasn't too bad. I gained about 10 kg (22 lb) in that period. Some of it muscle but a lot of it fat unfortunately. So the dreaded belly has since then returned.

I did jiu-jitsu, muay thai, little boxing, football and American Football during my life but weightlifting is what truly stole my heart.

My current status is: 82 kg (180 lb), 17% bodyfat. Able to run 5k in 30 minutes (do get tired)

My general fitness goals:

1. Getting insanely ripped. Like movie star good looking with 6 pack abs and the whole works.

2. Running the 10k at the upcoming Rotterdam marathon on April 14th. Preferably within an hour. But if that is impossible just finish it within a reasonable time.

3. Clean up my diet. I am trying to eat paleo because I really, really, reaaaaaaally don't want to count calories anymore.

My specific fitness goals:

1. Lower my bodyfat in steps. First step is to 13%, second step is to 9%.

2. Run 10k in one go.

3. Find a good, fulfilling paleo snack.

I hope some experienced runner could give me advice on how to train to achieve my goal. Weightlifting I know but running is new to me.

I feel like I need to finish this job. I've subscribed to a gym 2 months ago. I really want to work hard and finish what I started 2 years ago. NF inspired me to change my approach and get serious about my physique and health. To become the person I'm supposed to be!

Level 1 Gnome Adventurer

http://rotterdamnit.wordpress.com/

Tnx,

You eat quite a bit less then I do. I start off the morning with 3 eggs and need more food throughout the day. I fill it up with nuts and fruits now since that fills me up. Especially the fruit (I also just love fruit).

Do Tabata-workouts help with this type of marathon running? Did you try the workout yourself and do you combine it with strength training? Tnx for the reply.

Level 1 Gnome Adventurer

http://rotterdamnit.wordpress.com/

If your training for longer distances you want one day of interval training, one or two days of shorter pace runs, and one long run a week. See my schedule in my signature. Wednesday will be my interval days when the weather gets decent.

I suggest joining a class and starting on the challenges. It helped me to focus my goals and stick to them. You will probably want to be a ranger if you are working on running and love lifting.

Fruit and nuts are my go to snack.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

Archived