Forums are back in action! ×

DnD Style RP Adventures

jtj016

So I don't know if many people have played Dungeons and Dragons, as it hasn't been very popular for a decade or three.  But we deal a lot with our RP character-selves, including levels, stats, and abilities.  I was thinking that if anyone here has ever been a decent Dungeon Master if we could get something like this going.

Obviously there would be a lot of diversity between the characters and their respective abilities, but I think this could be a lot of fun.  This could be done through the forums.  There are plenty of websites out there offering similar games via forums, so why couldn't we make our own?

Human Assassin

Level 4 - Assassin Recruit

STR 5 | DEX 3.5 | STA 6.5 | CON 8 | WIS 10.5 | CHA 3

So I don't know if many people have played Dungeons and Dragons, as it hasn't been very popular for a decade or three.  But we deal a lot with our RP character-selves, including levels, stats, and abilities.  I was thinking that if anyone here has ever been a decent Dungeon Master if we could get something like this going.

Obviously there would be a lot of diversity between the characters and their respective abilities, but I think this could be a lot of fun.  This could be done through the forums.  There are plenty of websites out there offering similar games via forums, so why couldn't we make our own?

This is actually giving me a cool idea for next challenge.  Run an Accountibilibuddies group structured like a D&D group with tme as DM giving out minichallenges representing the enemies we fight.  :)

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

I know that Rising Heroes is a work in progress, but I think this is the same idea.  Still, it would be cool to have one on the forums!

Human, Ranger

"I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition."

I would totally join a group like that.  I am definitely looking forward to Rising Heroes.  This would be great in the mean time.  GrimmThing, think you would be able to DM a game?  I tried before, and it was a lot harder than I expected.

Human Assassin

This is actually giving me a cool idea for next challenge.  Run an Accountibilibuddies group structured like a D&D group with tme as DM giving out minichallenges representing the enemies we fight.   :)

That idea is probably the best thing I've heard in a while.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

What if someone just started a DnD game for NF people? You could keep your NF character's persona if one exists, without worrying about the (potentially) large stat disparity between individuals. Plus we could branch out that way, since I prefer playing rogues or clerics in game whilst I am a head-smashing barbarian in real life.

What if someone just started a DnD game for NF people? You could keep your NF character's persona if one exists, without worrying about the (potentially) large stat disparity between individuals. Plus we could branch out that way, since I prefer playing rogues or clerics in game whilst I am a head-smashing barbarian in real life.

I agree.  The stats would improve in an identical fashion, but the characters would be specific for the DnD game.  I like it.  Out of curiosity, would you all be interested in the old school DnD (dungeons, monsters, etc) or a D20 Modern (today's age, computers, cars, etc) type of game?  I could definitely go either way.

Human Assassin

I agree.  The stats would improve in an identical fashion, but the characters would be specific for the DnD game.  I like it.  Out of curiosity, would you all be interested in the old school DnD (dungeons, monsters, etc) or a D20 Modern (today's age, computers, cars, etc) type of game?  I could definitely go either way.

I am definitely interested in starting up/Joining an old-school D&D game. With school, however, I don't have enough time in my schedule for gaming. But I'm still interested!

Human Adventurer

Level 0

|| STR: 0 || DEX: 0 || STA: 0 || CON: 0 || WIS: 0 || CHA: 0 ||

---

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Think of it as a video game where you get to do all the math. It's more fun than that description makes it sound.

Definitely. I spent many a weekend happily smacking down baddies, stirring up trouble, and drinking entirely too much caffeine.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I'm a long time dm so I could totally make it work.

Hells yeah!  Guess we need to figure out how many people would be interested in doing this.  I'd set the limit to about 6 players plus the DM, per game.  And would we want to wait until the next 6 week challenge to start this?

I'm getting giddy.

Human Assassin

Maybe it could start as an accountibilibuddies team.  That way you can limit the number of people and it'd be easy for everybody to see who's playing.

Just saw that GrimmThing already said that. Sorry for the redundancy!

Human, Ranger

"I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition."

I came up with an idea for this a few months back, Spezzy and I discussed it as a possible part of an optional 6 week cross guild challenge that you would form a party for.  I started writing up the rules or basic idea and it was clear that it was way too intense for mods to be able to run a game for everyone's groups. It would have been like DMing 10 play by post games for each of us.

I was incorporating MMO battle mechanics into it rather than dice rolls and having your workouts be your damage/heals/agro generated. Anyway, it would be awesome if someone wrote up a full ruleset, that way anyone in the community could DM a game.

edit: We had a thread trying to get a play by post game going and even settled on Serenity, but our DM disappeared from the boards before it started. There are definitely people that would be interested.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Okay, I'm in the middle of a BAD depression slump do I'll just say this.  I want to say that I will try to do get involved in running something, but I am unable to commit to completing anything right now.  I just want to be forthright so my lack of action is not misinterpreted.

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

Grimm, if you want an assistant for the D&D campaign, I'd be glad to help out. Also... try to maintain a comfortable nest at home, where you don't have to accomplish anything in the moments you're there. And it may help to think of getting better as 'slow and steady, BUT it's not a race.' I'm thinkin' of ya'

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

I'd like to join, if this gets off the ground. I've looked for an online rpg opportunity for a while now, and there always seems to be one obstacle or another. 

JB 2.0

Level 1 Simian Ranger
STR 4.5|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual.

-R.A. Salvatore

My Challenge Thread | My Battle Log | Battle Log Spreadsheet | Down and Dirties!

Alright.  That's at least 9 interested players, and two prospective DM's.  As Terinatum said, I am sure a few of us would love to help out where we can.  Nothing will make up for experience, but just the fact that we are talking on a Nerd Fitness forum shows that we have some idea of how an rpg system should work.

I'm all for getting this started on the next challenge.  We have a few weeks to then to get prepared.  If anyone is interested in playing, being a DM, or both, reply to this board so we can get a tally. 

I for one definitely want to play.  I don't consider myself qualified to DM, but hope to in the future.

So there's one definitely-interested player for next challenge's DnD campaign.  We have a lot of work to do to get this ready by then, so I will work with anyone interested to get this going.  Let me know if you want to help.

Human Assassin

I'd play, no time in life to DM right now though.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived