Forums are back in action! ×

SO LOST IN INFORMATION

OMG!  im so lost in all the information out there. ok so im nearly 34yrs 5ft 5in 151lbs. Have been losing weight FOREVER and I know it is time for a change. I have just read Staci story and I am so like her at the begining. I just so confused about what to do. Have been using MFP to track calories, and in the last 4 weeks have up calories to try and get through a weight lost plateau and am trying very hard to add in strength training. however all that has happened is ive gained weight (6 lbs). I just don't know what to do, where to start and what to expect.

In the past my routine has been 1hr:30min mostly cardio (xtrainer, bike, rower and skipping) but no real strength training. I would love to cut back my cardio and get lean and strong and actually live life.  Just so lost in all the information out there, but very worried scale in just going to keep going up and up.  HELP.

also just so you know, it has taken me years to get to this weight, but my diet has never been as good as it is now.

Go by how your cloths fit if you are going to strength train. Muscle is heavier than fat. Or get calipers and measure your body fat composition instead of just using the scale. Steve mentions in a lot of posts that diet is about 80% of it and how much you exercise won't get you over that last hurdle. Good luck, it does take a while to consume all the information on the site. Start buy reading some of the older blog posts and then ask questions in the forum.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

I doubt that you've gained that much muscle or fat in 4 weeks.  It is more likely water-weight or an inaccurate scale; although possibly a medical condition, such as hypothyroid.  If you are eating fewer calories than you burn, you can't gain weight - even if it is muscle.  It's not that muscle is "heavier", it is that it is "smaller".  1 pound of muscle is smaller than 1 pound of fat (like a pound of lead and a pound of feathers ... they both weigh a pound).  So if you trade 1 pound of fat for 1 pound of muscles, you will weigh the same, but be smaller.  If you're eating at a calorie deficit, this is going to be very slow - Staci lost weight first and then built up.  The main point of strength training is to not lose muscle as you lose fat. 

First NicoleCanoes is right - 80% of the battle is food.  You've apparently changed your diet so double-check your calorie intake - I like MyFitnessPal if you don't have an on-line tracker.  You also say you've been losing weight for a long time; maybe you need to adjust your calorie intake down - again, MFP will tell you where you're supposed to be. 

Now for a workout plan.  You should always have a rest day between strength-training specific muscles.  So if you're doing a whole-body workout (such as one from the rebel fitness guide or the beginner's body weight) - you'll limit the work out to three days a week, with a rest day between.  On the rest (from strength training) day, you do your cardio - again, up to three days a week.  You'll want one total rest day week where you're just doing stuff around the house, easy walking, or pretty much nothing. 

We've just started a challenge, and you can join it, even if you're a bit late starting.  Click on the CHALLENGE tab, and go to the FAQ.  If I can give you any other help, send me a message (if you hover over my name, you'll see the option).  Good luck & glad you joined in. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived