Forums are back in action! ×

Hello! An introduction and a few questions

I've been reading Nerd Fitness articles for a while now, just trying to get as much info as I can and finding motivation.  I've found great stuff here but there is so much to go through, I thought I'd turn to the forums to get more help and direction.  First a quick introduction to where I'm at and where I'm going.  I've been a vegetarian for 18 years now, although I have on occasion eaten some fish and I go through times of  being vegan.  I commute to work on my bike every day, but not too far, it's about a 15 minute ride. I climb at a gym about twice a week if I'm lucky and am trying to figure out how to get in there more ( climbing 5.10Cs ok and the occasional 5.10D).  My big climbing goal is to climb El Capitan at some point in my life!

I just wrote a crazy long complicated paragraph and then realized I was just trying to ask, Is it OK to workout every day/how do I effectively work out every day?  I'll read some things saying that people work out every day and then something else saying to give yourself a day of rest in between exercising and then I get confused.  I want to exercise more and in order for me to actually stick to that I need to do it every day.  So what do I do?  Climb everyday?  Climb every other day and something else between?  Any advice is appreciated as are any links to older posts that answer this question.  Thank you!!

Oh and I just finished Portal 2, damn is that an amazing game!! I waited a while to play it, but so happy I finally did.  So well crafted and combines so many elements of what makes a truly great game.  It's been a long time since I felt a game was that well crafted and balanced, maybe not since Metal Gear Solid, although I have missed a lot of games in between these two.  I didn't want this introduction to be all fitness and no nerd :)

Welcome to the rebellion.  I think you have a great goal of climibing El Capitan, is that the one in West Texas in the Davis Mountains? If so I've seen that one from the highway, it would be an excellent test of your abilities.  As for your question of working out every day, what a lot of us do is alternate the kinds of workouts and usually workout 5-6 days a week. For example, I do strength training M,W,F and run T,TH.  I would say climb every other day, since that is a crazy bodyweight strength training and do something like cardio or yoga on alternating days to help with endurance or flexiblity. You could take the long way home from work on your bike for cardio, as an example. Be sure to get at least one day of complete rest per week.

Good luck.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Archived