Forums are back in action! ×

I like the cut of this place's jib.

Greetings.

I heard about this place through the Art of Manliness podcast and decided to give it a look.  Poked around the site, the forums, and the chat for an evening, and like what I see.

So please allow me to introduce myself. 

I am a 29 year old book binder by trade.  My geek credentials are in the comic book and tabletop roleplaying game side of things.  On the comic side of things mostly DC stuff, I'll admit I've kinda fallen off in my reading over the last year.  On the RP side I've rolled the dice with D&D from 2nd through 4th, played WoD old and new, called Cthulhu, and dealt with Heresy that was insufficiently lit, as well as plenty of other systems through the years for a game or two,  I'm also a bit of an Android enthusiast, and know just enough not to brick my phone when I'm toying around with root access and flashing ROMs, which is terrible given that tablets and the like are going to TAK MAH JORB! but I digress.

I was fit once, back in high school, when I played football, but that was over a decade ago and I have not taken care of myself at all.  My heaviest was in 2007 when I stepped on a shipping scale at work and weighed 411 pounds.  I took some of that weight off but about 7 months ago I was still terribly heavy at an even 360.  While reading my various news feeds one lunch break I came across an app called LoseIt! and started keeping track of what I ate and counting calories, and that has worked for me.  I've lost 80 pounds, and as of earlier today I weighed in at 279.8.  That's a start, but I still have a way to go.  I've done that through controlling my diet, and eating a diet I believe I can maintain for the rest of my life, not just until I lose the weight, but like I said, I still have a ways to go.  

Which is what brought me here.  I want to, need to, add exercise to my life, I've had a couple of false starts since I changed my eating habits but what I see here... it looks fun, it appeals to me.  Especially those class based training challenges.  

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

Wow, That's a terrific weight loss.  We're just starting week 3 of a challenge, but join in and do a shortened challenge if you like.  It will give you a nice dry-run.  I finally broke down and got an eReader because between my husband and I the books were taking over the house; but I still prefer the real-deal.  As far as I'm concerned book-binder is nerd credentials on its own.  Welcome aboard, and good luck on your journey. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Thank you guys for the welcome, and I'll forgive you the eReader Laureleye.  We buggywhip makers have to accept the times we live in.  

I didn't realize you could join in mid challenge, I guess I need to reread that rules and faq thread.  Still three weeks till the start of the next one should give me just enough time to form the habit of working out (got myself that Rebel Fitness Guide, an ebook.  I'm takin mah own jahb!) and figure out what my current limits are.  I need to know where I am before I can figure out where I want to go.  Been too long since I worked out regularly, still come April 8th I am going to be ready, and set to partake.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

Archived