Forums are back in action! ×

New Recruit for the cause

I found out about Nerd Fitness from the recent Art of Manliness podcast. I am active duty Air Force, currently stationed in South Korea. It's Monday here, start of my work week, start of my Nerd Fitness. I enjoy many types of gaming, including Magic the Gathering, Pathfinder, Minecraft and just about anything dealing with my consoles.

At work, I am a "computer guy" as most people refer to us. This means I get to spend my time at a desk most of the day. I do have PT with my squadron 5 times per week. However, this program is designed more maintainence, not improvement. I need improvement. I am 6'3 270lbs. My last PT test I measured in at a 42.5 in waist. For those not savy with Air Force standards, that is not passing.

The most fit I have ever been was coming out of basic training. I was 200lbs, 36.5in waist, and could run the 1.5mile in 10:30. This was quickly ended with a hernia as I graduated basic. I wasn't able to do any type of PT for about 3 months. I didn't make very good diet decisions during this time either. Which brings me around to my biggest problem I have always had. I love to eat. If it were an olympic sport, I would have probably tried out. I make it a point to do my best to keep the unhealthy things away from my desk at work. I even ask my coworkers to help me help myself. However, I have become a pretty good food ninja when my I get hungry. I have managed to nearly cut out all alcohol and soda. Now I will have 6oz glass of sprite about 2-3 times per week with dinner. As far as alcohol, im down to about 2 beers or mixed drinks per month.

My other Issue is my knees. Both are not quite right. The biggest part of this is on my right knee I keep getting a different diagnosis depending on who I talk to. I've gone from arthritis, to meniscus tear, to MCL sprain, and now back to menisucus tear. Hopefully they figure this out soon since it has been almost a year since the injury.

My short term goal is to do a single pullup. I figure that once I can do that, I will have lost some weight and gained some strength. Long term, I would like to get back down to my basic training weight.

I was doing Insanity, but the doc said no more to that. I was probably doing more harm than good to my body. I am interested in the Rebel Fitness Guide and as soon as I have a bit of extra money, I plan on grabbing one. Until then, I plan on trying a few of the free workouts listed on site.

Half-Ogre Adventurer lvl 1

STR 3

DEX 2

STA 3

CON 3

WIS 2

CHA 2

The free workouts are a great way to go - I particularly like the beginner's body weight (BBW).  I have a bad knee, so I recommend you make a few adjustments if you're going to do the BBW.  Skip the squats and spideys in the warmup; if the jumping jacks bother your knee do the arm part but just bounce a little on the balls of your feet; limit your jump ropes at first; if the lunges are troublesome use a split-squat or a low step-up.  You can do the BBW 2-3 times a week, alternating with a cardio of your choice. 

Working out is great, but don't forget that 80-85% of your fitness is to be diet (Steve says "you can't outrun your fork").  So while you're over in the free resources, check out the guide to healthy eating.

Week 3 of the challenge just started, but you can join in mid-stream if you like.  Click on the CHALLENGE tab, and read up on the FAQ.  Welcome aboard. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived