Forums are back in action! ×

Rebel Newbie

So I came across this site looking for information on weights, as I have just started to get into free weights.

Like most of your articles say I def am a bit intimidated by approaching free weights, partly because I have never incorporated them into my routines and because of my lack of knowledge for them. I have been watching videos, reading and asking questions to a few people I know who use them. I am really intrigued by free weights, they interest me a lot and I really wouldn't mind switching over to only free weights and no machines one day.

I am a 20yr female, about 5' 2" and around 135 in weight. I have been working out for 90min 3 times a week as well as yoga every day. I have been doing this and eating clean and drinking only water for a month now and have cut my red meat intake down a lot. Starting next week I will stop eating red meat to try and lean up a bit. I eat plenty of small snacks a day, I get all my veggies, fruit etc.

Although I have not ventured into free weights I still maintain and/or increase my cardio as well as my strength routine, and usually carry some it through into my daily yoga routines. Even though it has only been a month (im not expecting miracles) I have not noticed much of a difference in my body weight or tone. I feel more energetic, flexible and a bit stronger but as far as a scale or visuals go there is no slight change at all. I am going to try and keep this lifestyle going so I know eventually I will see some progress, until that point is there anything else I can incorporate into my lifestyle that will better results or make sure I am getting my max potential out everything? As far as weights which few exercises are best to start with and target a majority of muscles in one?

Thanks

Since you're small, I'd really recommend that you move away from the machines right away.  The machines don't adjust enough for you to be getting the full benefit of the work, and you may actually injure yourself.  I found that I had a lot less joint pain, and a lot faster strength gains (and more body changes) after I dropped the machines.  Fear not - you do not need to go into free weights.  If you click the NERD FITNESS tab, and go to the free resources, you'll find several workouts that don't require equipment - hotel room, angry birds, and the ever-popular beginner's body weight workouts. 

To lose a few pounds, you need to primarily eat fewer calories.  Since you're small and I'm sure don't eat a lot, it's important that the calories you do eat are good healthy ones.  You'll also find the beginners guide to healthy eating on the free resources page too.  I really recommend it. 

Good luck on your goals and welcome aboard.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Welcome to the rebellion, Laureleye has given you some really good advice.  I used to turn my nose up at the free weights section, thinking it was too dangerous.  If now me could talk to then me I'd be like, "Son, you don't even know, let me explain something to you."  Good luck.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Free weights aren't scary. Just start with the 5lb dumbbell and check your form in the mirror, then up the weight. Ask the trainer in the gym to show you how to set up the different racks for your height and lift. Bonus, the trainers are usually cute.

Also red meat isn't bad for you. It's more about where the meat comes from than what animal it comes from. Grass fed versus hormone injected.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

Archived