Forums are back in action! ×

A Sad Day for Google Reader

KingZora

As I just learned today when I opened it up, Google Reader will no longer be available after July 1st... I am sad to see it go after the 5 years I have been using it, but I guess it is time to move on.

So everyone what is your favorite rss reader?  Preferably web based or which is synced across multiple machines.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

If you have to commercialize your search engine...it's not that good. :|

All search engines are commercialized... Google makes about 97% of its revenue from the advertising on their search pages.

I just started using Feedly as an alternative today, might as well jump ship early so that I don't feel the blow even worse when it finally ends :(

So far I almost prefer it over Google reader, it imported everything I had saved from Google right from the start and there was no setup time (short of changing a few settings to be more like Google reader).  It has a nice interface and allows you to sort all of your feeds into categories, plus a pretty solid iPhone app.  I'd recommend checking it out.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

I need to get another newsreader ... I fear for the fate of civilization when everyone's getting their news via Facebook.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I've heard good things about Feedly as well. Going to trial that for the next week and see how it feels. I also heard good things about Newsblur, but heard that you had to pay for it? 

>> Jay

BLOG ~ TWITTER

It's never too late to be who you might have been. -- George Eliot

The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity. -- Rollo May

ffffffff.

>:/

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

I've been testing out using Tiny Tiny RSS on my own server and changing the CSS to make it look as close to Google Reader as I can. So far so good. Figured I'd test drive it for a month and see how I feel about it then.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I need to get another newsreader ... I fear for the fate of civilization when everyone's getting their news via Facebook.

Ugh. I have the same fear!!

They are really starting to annoy me.  First they announce they are killing the iGoogle page where I read all my web comics, now they are killing the reader...  Very annoying.

Same here. Are they nuts? They really hate the people that helped them get rich eh?

Anyways, I still haven't found anything good to replace GR. Feedly/Newsblur is to magazine-y. Old Reader feels odd. I don't want to host myself (too much work?). I need something that works on IE8 (uuugh, at work not my choice!) and with Reeder on iPad/iPhone/Mac.

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

Looks like Digg has announced they are building a replaced Google Reader (including their API) as well as building upon it. I liked the old digg.com, but felt they lost their way. Here's to hoping this has the same draw the original digg.com website had.

http://blog.digg.com/post/45355701332/were-building-a-reader

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Archived