Forums are back in action! ×

Chiropractors?

So I know nothing about the actual practice other than that they realign bones and can do tendon releases.  On that note, do I need to go to a MD and get a diagnoses of what's wrong first before considering going to a Chiropractor to have it treated, or can the Chiro diagnose things as well?

I tweaked something from pulling a deadlift with a rounded lower back a few months ago and though the pain is slowly decreaing, it's still there 8 weeks later and I'm concerned it's gonna nag me for awhile if I don't have it checked out.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You shouldn't need an MD referral.  A good chiro will do an assessment before treatment (especially if you're going in with an injury/specific issue).  If the person does no assessment, find another..

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Yeah, I'm gonna call around and try to get an appointment, making sure they take my insurance first.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Do you're research.  I have mixed feelings on chiro- I think they have their place- but there is a crap load of quackery that goes along with a lot of it.

That being said- I went to one for my shoulder but for A.R.T. (and thankfully most insurance's take chiro- who do ART so it falls under that category- and it's covered!!)  I think it REALLY helped- rest- PT. and ART.  I'm back to I'd say 90%- I just can't do isolated shoulder things- like straight arm side plank.  

My back is seriously gooned up right now and I have no idea why- so I'm thinking about scheduling another appointment with him- probably for muscle things rather than bone.  

Hopefully you heal up quick though!  Back problems blow.

If you can find someone you trust in your area to get a recommendation, that's always a good start.  Also, a lot of places will take insurance but will work with you if they don't or if your insurance doesn't cover it well, etc. 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Some chiropractors are awesome and some are full of crap. I see the former kind regularly (every 3 months and more often if I have a problem). Ask around for recommendations.

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

What's the average price range?

500 / 330 / 625

If you can find one who does ART you are set. That's the most useful combo for a lifter I have found. Usually I have paid 90-120 for a fist visit, and 30-40 per visit after that (no insurance). If they try to sign you up for like 6 months of tri-weekly visits, go somewhere else. That's a very old model of Chiropratics. You can search for Chiros who do ART on the ART site- cross reference with you insurance, often they will be physical therapists as well. I've had really good work done at university sports medicine centers as well.

http://www.activerelease.com

Good chiropractors can be very good.  Bad ones will barely help, not help at all, or even make you worse.  The industry is not well regulated and you need to be even more careful in choosing one than you are with choosing a MD.

If I were you, I'd start by going to your regular medical doc.  If s/he says you should see a chiropractor, then ask for a referral.  (And ask your friends, do online checks, do your homework ... don't ever hire a professional based on price, location, or advertising.  It frequently leads to misery, trust me.)

A LMP (licensed massage therapist) may also be helpful with back issues, if it's caused by muscle spaz or something.  (If you get one, be aware they're subject to even MORE foofiness and bad practice than DCs... so only go to a name that is recommended by someone you trust.) 

But start by asking your doctor.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I just switched to the BEST chiropractor I've ever had. Really, I've been raving about him in my challenge thread for the last week and a half.

He does ART in addition to your regular chiropractic adjustments, but what I love love love is that he's got a whole power rack & lifting platform in his office, and is a huge believer in both lifting and the importance of nutrition. Part of the evaluation is running through lifts to see what's happening with my form and where my body is compensating for weaknesses, some of which is causing my pain. Watching that, along with watching some other mobility tests, he makes judgments about where to focus the ART, and then I've also gotten homework to help build strength or mobility in specific areas.

My homework at the moment includes chin ups, foam rolling, lacrosse balling, extra calf stretching and a couple of things with a band for my upper back and glutes. Best homework ever? Yep, I'm pretty sure.

I really can't say enough good things about having found the right fit. He works with a lot of athletes (no surprise) and has always come highly recommended by everyone I know who sees him. I lucked into it in a way, but if I were in your shoes, I'd start by asking any serious athletes in your area. Marathoners, competitive triathletes, other lifters... you live near a university, right? Maybe call the athletic department and see if you can talk to their strength coach to see if he/she has any recommendations?

Thanks for all the advice guys.  I've decided I'm going to find an MD and get it checked out then go to a chiro if the recommend it.  That Chiro sounds great Blueberries, and calling the athletic department sounds like a great idea.

500 / 330 / 625

My first one was awful, they'd do a 30 second adjustment and send me on my way and were expensive, stopped taking insurance. The one I've gone to since November (when I got hurt again) has been great. I see the doctor and voice any issues I'm having, they had me get x-rays, fill out a pain chart, they assessed the injury and got me going again. I do rehab there at each appointment and they set me up with a routine of stretches and strengthening exercises to do at home, and gave me electrical muscle stimulation for awhile as well. Basically, do your research and call with questions, as you should with any doctor.

A good way to spot quack chiro's is if they sell supplement products.  I had one try and say they had cured autism with spine adjustments and showed before and after x-rays of the patient, then claimed to heal other things in other people showing the exact same before and after x-rays.  The one I go to just claims to make people's backs straighter, he's good.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I just wanted to add my $.02 here. I also tweaked something while pulling a heavy deadlift with a rounded lower back sometime ago and the pain was just there. I didn't deadlift for 2 months, came back, made sure my form was great and was doing well again until I again pinged something 2 months ago with bad form.

What I did then was switch to sumo style deadlifts where my back is always straight (I have short arms) and even though I still I have the pain somewhere in my lower back it has gone down a lot and is decreasing with every week.

Ancalagon The Black. Half Dragon Spellsword

A good way to spot quack chiro's is if they sell supplement products.  I had one try and say they had cured autism with spine adjustments and showed before and after x-rays of the patient, then claimed to heal other things in other people showing the exact same before and after x-rays.  The one I go to just claims to make people's backs straighter, he's good.

This exactly!! I went to a major quacker at first.  Took an x-ray of my spine (which showed scoliosis) and told me if I came to see him 3xweek for 6 months he could cure it.  Sorry luv, ain't no cure for scoliosis! Its a congenital birth defect!  

Went to another one, he also had x-rays done, and said "hm, well the curvature isn't that bad.  I'm sure with regular visits, like once a month and when you're in pain, we can help control your back pain and keep you going".  I still see this guy.  

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.â€- Mahatma Gandhi

Go to a physiotherapist if you can. Physios can be very effective for these kinds of injuries. If you do decide to go to a Chiropractor then do NOT let them near your neck. People have died from that kind of adjustment.

They do my neck all the time, it takes some getting used to, but it makes a big difference.  My neck gets stiff if I go too long without an adjustment.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm very pro-chiropractic. I've been to several and my most recent is by far and wide the best I've seen. I agree though, don't see one that wont do a full assessment first including a full set of x-rays. A good one wants to know what and where things need re-aligned. The guy that I see now is so full body he even offers massage, physical therapy, nutritional therapy, all organic vitamins and all natural cleaning products. I even take my son who was having full blown migraines at 8 years old to him. He had his x-rays done and it was found that his spine was so curved it was practically a C. After he started having a serious of adjustments, the headaches stopped. 

"Do something today to remind yourself that you are limitless"

I agree with all of those that are urging you to do some research before visiting a chiropractor.  Try the link below for a bit of background for what chiropractors actually do. Some of them do seem to help with mild back pain and judging from the previous replies in this post people have had some success. Be very wary of any chiropractor that claims they can cure things like asthma or whooping cough in children as they are the seriously dodgy ones. 

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/reference/?p=44

also

http://www.chirobase.org/

Only other suggestion is to talk to your MD about chiropractics, as a LOT of MDs detest it as a modality, and will suggest surgery before chiro. This is important to know....

I agree with that. I went to a Chiro when I had problems with a disc. He got it fixed (100%) in less than 3 weeks. While my MD kept telling me chiros are quacks and I need surgery. Chiros said 85% of cases need NO surgery. He was right!

My chiro is phenomenal!

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

Like any profession, there are some that are great and some not so great. They actually do go through quite a bit of education. Most general doctors practice medicine differently than chiropractors, so you won't often find one that recommends visiting a chiro. For various reasons, I have been to three different offices in our area and I would highly recommend the doctors from two of them. The other one was a smaller office and did not do x-rays, which I believe are essential to proper treatment. The adjustments are beneficial to your health for a variety of reasons, not just for pain control. I can get you more information if you want. Feel free to inbox me.

Fairy-Nymph, left the world of Natural Powers to join the knighthood of the King

Pre-Adventurer

(STR) -1    (DEX) -2    (STA) -3 (CON) -4 (WIS) -3 (CHA) -3

Contents of bag: one fire flower

Archived