Forums are back in action! ×

Good day

I'm a 45 year old fat guy from Vancouver, Canada, looking to change the fat part. I once was in fairly good shape - played soccer at a reasonable level - but that's fairly far in the past. As the years creep on, I've managed to eliminate some bad habits, and accumulate a bunch of knowledge about getting healthier, but it's well past time to put it all together and do something about it. So now I am.

Nerd-wise, this year marks my 35th year of playing Dungeons and Dragons, along with many other pen and paper rpgs. Most of my other nerdy pursuits have become relatively mainstream, which is a societal trend of which I fully approve.

In terms of eating, I've been working from the Mayo Clinic's diet template, which like most healthy eating guides boils down to "eat an amount proportional to your activity, heavy on veggies, and if you eat starches/sugars make sure they have some nutritional benefit." 

On the exercise front, I've been doing a daily stretching/mobility routine for the past few months - I work in a restaurant, on my feet all day with occasional lifting up to 20 kg or so, and I've found the stretching helps fight the minor pain and stiffness that come with the job. I'm adding Steve's beginner bodyweight routine to that. I live a low car lifestyle, and get in a fair amount of low-intensity cardio via walking and cycling - as the Vancouver rains die down over the next few weeks, the plan is to commute via bike most of the time.

As to other life goals, I'm trying to get a side business started up developing apps for the restaurant industry. I used to program for a living, but that was a bit over a decade ago, so I have a fair amount of catching up to do.

Thanks for having me. I'm looking forward to the six-week challenges, I think they're going to help me focus, something that I've had trouble with in the past.

Live long, and prosper.

"Curtain's up. Everyone's waiting for the hero to take the stage. And the spotlight's on you now." - Alfred, to Dick Grayson, Batman and Robin #2

Current Challenge

Archived