Forums are back in action! ×

Making a change (the right way this time)

Hello Everyone,

My name is Bill and here is my story.  I've always been a "big" guy throughout my life.  I was brought up being told to finish whatever was on my plate and never complain about what I was served.  This led to childhood obesity and all the bullying that comes from it.  Towards the end of high school, I made the decision to join the US Navy.  This decision forced me to get fit or get stuck with a crappy job while I went to college.  I lost a significant amount of weight (a large portion of muscle and some fat) by cutting caloric intake.  I spent four years in the Navy and got out to start a family.  I got lazy and went back to my old eating habits.  In January 2011, my son was born and after looking at myself in the mirror, I realized I needed to get healthier so I could see my son grow up.  I weighed 280 pounds (I'm 6'1") and it wasn't because I looked like a massive body builder.

I again started watching my caloric intake and I purcahsed the BeachBody Insanity workout.  After three months, I had lost 60 pounds of weight, but I still looked like garbage.  I lost motivation and sank back into my old habits.  About six weeks ago I started looking into why my last attempt ended so horribly and I found the term "skinny-fat".  I had cut my caloric intake so much that my body had just started eating itself.  Now I want to get myself into shape the right way.

Six weeks ago I weighed 248 pounds.  I started a low carb diet with high protein and I lift weights three times a week.  I now weigh 230 pounds and feel much better about my appearance.  Unfortunately, I do not have much of a support system.  I stumbled upon this site while researching diet plans and I decided to join up.  I'm definitely a nerd and I see alot of people on here with similar interests.  My ultimate goal is to hit around 10 to 14 percent body fat (my current level is unknown as I can't find information on a reliable home testing information) and to get back into MMA.  I had started BJJ a few years back, but I could not keep up with the other students and the coach seemed to let me fall by the wayside (coach more focused on his good fighters).

Sorry for the novella, but I find it's easier to get it all out in the introduction.  Thanks and I look forward to chatting with you all.

Level 1 Human Adventurer

Str 3 | Dex 2 | Sta 2 | Con 3 | Wis 3 | Cha 2

Good luck - I'm new to this site, but it looks like a lot of committed people.  I like that the site is practical and it lots of people with similar goals.  I like your statement "the right way this time"...I think that's what we are all looking for...doing it the right way with no more fad diets and gimmicks!

Good luck to you!

Welcome aboard!  It sounds like you're making fantastic progress so far, and that's commendable.  I too joined for the community because of a lack of overall support system.  Everyone here has been very inviting and welcoming.  I think you'll like it.

Are you doing a specific low-carb diet?

None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear.   

-Ferdinand Foch

Welcome aboard!  It sounds like you're making fantastic progress so far, and that's commendable.  I too joined for the community because of a lack of overall support system.  Everyone here has been very inviting and welcoming.  I think you'll like it.

Are you doing a specific low-carb diet?

Thanks for the welcome.  My diet is basically a paleo diet, but I'm limiting my carb intake to between 30 and 50 grams a day.  My goal is 30 grams, but I like to have room for some veggies.  I stay away from all forms of sugar and grains.  It's definitely been a tough change, but I've got a hold on it now.  Unfortunately I started this change in lifestyle before finding this site and I broke a few rules that Steve set out (I quit smoking, started my diet, and started a three day a week fitness routine all at the same time).  I've stayed consistent regardless.

My current issue is that I've hit a wall at 230 pounds for a two weeks in a row now.  I picked up a cloth tape measure and took my first set of measurements last Thursday so I can track those changes as well.

Level 1 Human Adventurer

Some people are all-or-nothing kind of folks, so if it worked for you, it's good.  Don't worry about you're weight not changing for a couple of weeks.  Have you got a plan for getting built back up to restart your martial arts? 

Welcome aboard.

Thanks Laureleye.  I just posted my current fitness routine in programming so I could get some input.  I want to get my body fat down and under control and then I want to definitely get built up again.  I'm doing what I can so that I don't lose muscle mass while I cut.  I used to do BJJ and Muay Thai, but I can barely keep up with the other students so I feel that I'm not getting my money's worth for the gym membership.  I'm here to learn and help motivate others while on my own journey.

Level 1 Human Adventurer

Archived