Forums are back in action! ×

Hurtling Down a Snow Covered Mountain

Rastaban

This weekend I tried and learned something new- snowboarding. AND I DIDN'T DIE EVEN ONCE.

I have friends who are regular snowboarders and hit the slopes almost every season and I've really put it off on account of not having medical coverage over the past few years. Well that changed last year with my new job, so I jumped at the opportunity to go with them this past weekend to Mammoth Mountain.

This was a bit of a challenge and completely out of my normal mode of exercise. The last time I had ever stood on a board of any kind was a skateboard sometime during my late grade school days, and that usually involved falling a lot. Well guess what? Learning how to snowboard involves falling a lot too, but usually into mostly soft snow.

My first day there I took a beginner's lesson which was approximately four hours of instruction on basic techniques, stances, movements, etc. It was great to be able to see my progress in just a few hours. By then end of the class I felt confident enough to get on the lift and hit an easy run with a friend of mine. It was great, I felt really confident and did relatively well stepping it up from the short practice slope to a full on mile plus run. I'm so glad to have been doing all those Insanity workouts over the past several weeks; it really helped especially with the squats and core.

On Saturday, though, I felt like I forgot everything from the day before (probably the lack of sleep coming up to the mountain didn't help). The ice in the morning made things challenging, and my muscles were still pretty fatigued that just trying to get my legs to cooperate took an enormous amount of effort. Needless to say I ate it more than a few times. BUT I got up and tried again and again and again.

All in all it was a great experience and it is definitely something that I can see myself pursuing and wanting to get better at. On top of the learning something new and working out it was awesome just being outdoors in the snow and among the trees and open blue skies and this being my first visit to the area I found it very beautiful and awe inspiring.

- Daniel

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

That's awesome! It's such a huge rush, flying down the mountain, especially when you don't die even once! I kept asking people to go skiing with me this winter (which was a terrible weak winter out east anyways) and other than one weekend, no one would go! (I didn't want to ski alone in case I hurt myself.)  Glad you had fun!

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

I love snowboarding! Sadly, I only got out for 2 days this past year :(

My first time out was about 15+ years ago, but my first time actually learning was about 4 years ago. This was also around the time I was the heaviest I have ever been and the most out of shape, so I will say that your workouts definitively made your learning experience a bit better than mine. Also, my learning experience was on the not so comfortable when you fall east coast mountains. I have a group of friends that try to make it out to the slopes about 4-6 times a year. This year was a bust, but there's always next year!

Congrats on learning, and I'll just tell you this, you will have an "AHA!" moment when things just click on turning, carving, etc; and for the most part, your falling days will be over.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I love snowboarding! Sadly, I only got out for 2 days this past year :(

My first time out was about 15+ years ago, but my first time actually learning was about 4 years ago. This was also around the time I was the heaviest I have ever been and the most out of shape, so I will say that your workouts definitively made your learning experience a bit better than mine. Also, my learning experience was on the not so comfortable when you fall east coast mountains. I have a group of friends that try to make it out to the slopes about 4-6 times a year. This year was a bust, but there's always next year!

Congrats on learning, and I'll just tell you this, you will have an "AHA!" moment when things just click on turning, carving, etc; and for the most part, your falling days will be over.

Thanks! Looks like our season is winding down here so I'll have to wait until next winter to start up again. Looking forward to it!

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

Oh my! Well done you! And Mammoth is an awesome place to learn or board in general. I was there this time last year and am planning my next trip! Snowboarding is a passion of mine, but also challenges all my fears and tests my abilities to the limit!

Having a good core and limber legs helps soooo much. I learned when I was quite a bit heavier and being leaner and lighter makes a world of difference to your ability to turn and move pressure on the board.

Huge 'grats on getting the bug, there's nothing like the feeling of being outdoors and carving fresh tracks, having fun with your friends and earning a refreshing beer afterwards! The bluebird days make all the bruises and aches when you learn seem worth it (either that or I'm still concussed..)

The secret to it all, which it sounds like you got, is to GET BACK UP. Everytime you fall, get up and have another go. And remember to bend your knees and relax- not only does it make it easier, it means it hurts less when you fall. If you're not falling, you're not trying hard enough ;)

Level 3 UK-based Siren Adventurer

STR- 5 | DEX-5 | STA-3.5 | CON-5 | WIS-7 | CHA-5.5

"what's done cannot be undone"

-----

#1 challenge "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."                                         

#2 challenge "though she be but little, she is fierce"

Archived