Forums are back in action! ×

Learning to listen to your body: a form

catspaw

I've been trying to get better recently at listening to my body.  What type of hunger do I have at the moment?  Does a 1:1 protein:fat(g) ratio help me feel fuller, or does a 1:0.5 work better for me?  When I wake up feeling bloated, what did I eat the night before?  etc.

I've been using the following form for a few weeks now and really enjoying the data it provides, so thought I'd share it in case anyone else finds it useful.

Date: _________________ , [ ] Rest day [ ] Workout day

Today I woke up feeling like my body looked: _______________________

Number of coffees this morning: ______

Lunch time: _____________

Before lunch, I felt: __________________________

Lunch foods:

- 

- 

- 

After the meal, I felt: __________________________

Snack time: _____________

Before my snack, I felt: __________________________

Snack foods:

- 

- 

Workout (optional):

- Workout type: [ ] Shoulders [ ] Back [ ] Chest [ ] Legs

- Energy level before: __________________________

- Energy level during: __________________________

- Energy level after: __________________________

Dinner time: _____________

Before dinner, I felt: __________________________

Dinner foods:

- 

- 

- 

Today, I drank: [ ] A lot of water, [ ] An okay amount of water, [ ] Too little water

Before going to bed, I felt: __________________________

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Looks like a great form. I might decide to use it myself.

I dislike 'just' logging what I eat because it feels like a rather useless list of things (I know, it can be plenty useful... I'm just too lazy to properly track portions etc.). This form looks like it can be useful even if you track your food only in a basic way like I do :) 

Thanks for sharing it!

level 10 wood elf assassin

Intro1st challenge | .... | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | Current @ warriors

Huh, that's a really interesting idea.

Have you been able to gain valuable insight, connecting causes and effects?

"That which gets tracked gets improved" - Somebody

Actually I have!!  One of a couple of examples:

I've always (before logging) felt that protein keeps me more full than fat, so if I'm on a cut I tend to lean towards like a 60:40 ratio of protein to fat (calories, not grams) to keep me full.

BUT since tracking, I've found that protein keeps me full in the short term and fat keeps me full in the long term.

If I eat more fat, I tend to be less hungry over a period of the next few days.  I tried switching to more like a 40:60 ratio (reverse) and after a day of feeling less satisfied after every meal, I found that overall the days I felt less hungry before meals.  It still doesn't quite trigger the same "full now!" after the meal is done, but I'm definitely less ravenous between meals.

I'm paying close attention to it: "am I still getting enough protein? am I hurting muscle versus fat loss? am I still losing fat?" etc., but sheerly in terms of fullness, my original assumption that protein helps more than fat for me appeeeeeeeears to be simplistic.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Very interesting! I already track all of my calories, but I like the idea of keeping some sort of log of how the food is affecting my appetite, mood, energy, etc.

Energy is the biggest concern for me, as I sometimes find myself very tired during workouts (while other times I have a decent amount of energy throughout). Finding that cause/effect relationship would be nice.

Level 3 Assassin

STR: 7 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 3

definitely need to do something like this- I've been pretty much famished all afternoon every day of the week b/c of how I'm eating- and I'm trying to sort it out- I just started seriously tracking (god I hate it) and finding interesting things (and that I wasn't WAY off on how I perceived I was eating- which was nice)

But it's why I started my other thread about macronutrients- I actually think I need to seriously UP my fat intake to keep me feeling more full in the afternoons!!! 

definitely a good thought- thank you! 

Archived