Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from Montana!

Hey everyone!

I'm just starting my journey to fitness. I was always a little chubby in school, but I stayed fairly active in grade school doing basketball and hiking with my family. Then in high school I quit basketball to do choir/work/4-H and all of my active stuff just seemed to fall by the wayside. I had never eaten well, so my weight just kept on creeping up. By the time I graduated I weighed almost 250.

In the five years since then, I've topped out at 335. When I saw that on the scale at the doctors office I thought "whoa, how did I ever let this happen?" I was embarrassed and ashamed. I knew I was heavy, but to see the numbers like that really woke me up and showed me that I had a problem.

I've tried losing weight before using Weight Watchers and just trying to eat better, but this time I was determined to also get fit. I don't have enough money for a gym, so I began searching for a way to do strength training without having to pay for a membership. I learned about bodyweight exercise and googled "beginner bodyweight". The first link was to Nerd Fitness.

For the last week I've been reading as many articles as I could, and the success stories have been so inspiring! I've started trying Paleo, and so far I have been doing good. Today I finally got up the nerve to join the community and meet some like minded people!

Hello!  I was born in Montana (Billings), but got transplanted to California.  Changing your eating habits is the key to weight loss, so you've made a great start.  The beginner's body weight workout is a great workout - I don't know if you've started it or not.  Don't be afraid you're doing it "wrong" if you have to tailor the workout back for your fitness level - that's actually the way the workout is intended.  I recommend that you prepare to join the next challenge, which will be starting in about 3 weeks (or dive into the last week and 1/2 of the current one).  If you need some help with the beginner's body weight or anything else, feel free to send me a message (hover over my name and you'll see the option).  Welcome to NF. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived