Forums are back in action! ×

Hello all,

I finally got around to joining up.  I've been lurking on the site for a while now.

I started this year at 310 pounds.  I had always thought that I would get my weight under control "later."  Well, "later" is now.

As of this morning, I am down to 280 pounds.  A decent enough start.

I've been making use of the low-carb diet proposed by Gary Taubes in his book, "Why we get fat."  I have set a "soft limit" of 20g carbohydrates per day, and a "hard limit" of 30g.  I find this to be a very livable limit, and clearly it's working for me.

I've been concerned with possible joint problems due to my age (bonus points if you can identify my avatar - it's from my second PC - and guesstimate my age) and weight, so I've not done any sort of exercise other than brisk walks yet.

My ultimate goal is pretty simple.  I want to be able to buy "normal" clothes off the rack.  I want to be able to tie my shoelaces without my gut cutting off my air supply.  I want to be able to sit on furniture at a friends' house without having to eyeball it first to make sure it's capable of supporting me.

I'm very broad-shouldered, so I doubt that it would be healthy for me to get down to my BMI recommended weight.  Instead, I borrowed a body fat percentage measuring machine, did some math, and came up with a weight goal of 225 pounds.  When I get there, I will re-evaluate.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for the inspiration and education so far.

- Dan

Welcome to the Rebellion!

Great job with the thirty pounds already gone. If you're a broader built then it probably wouldn't be a good idea to meet your BMI. I'm a pretty broad person myself so I focus on what kind of big I am. My goal is for people to walk by me and think my body build is "Viking"

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

Archived