Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

I've had to tell a few people - no I'm not going to look 'muscly like a body builder' / it's not bad for my knees / I don't enjoy doing cardio, I enjoy lifting heavy weights... etc!

I haven't posted anything on FB about lifting, but I have planned on posting when I squat / deadlift bodyweight because I'll be so.happy!.... I'm not sure now though!!

If it makes you happy and you want to share, then post. Don't let people discourage you from sharing what makes you happy with other just cause they don't understand. You never know, maybe your post will encourage one other person to do something with their life. That to me makes all the other BS worth it.

*Flips Table*

BreadMage Out!

Already mentioned in this topic, but my two major peeves are:

"Why are you still single?"

and 

"Come on, have a drink, it won't hurt you"

I'm single because A) I haven't found the right person, and B ) I have some minor attachment issues I need to work out. I've been in relationships with the wrong person, realised that and ended it on the most amicable terms I could manage. This comment comes typically from people in relationships, both happy and unhappy ones.

I don't drink because of an alcoholic father, and I did the typical "you're now legally able to drink, party time" drinks bender. I did NOT enjoy it. As a result I've not touched alcohol in 6 years, with the exception of having a single half-glass of wine at special occasions, which I can count on one hand (2 Weddings, 1 drink with my school mate after he learned he was going to be a father, and 1 new years eves with school friends).

-- Edited to remove unintentional smiley face

My spousal unit went from "don't lift so much you need a belt" to "you can do more than 405 in the deadlift!!" So I did 429...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

"Are you one of them 'strongman' guys?" - I lift moderate weight at the gym and I'm 6'4'', this makes me Phil Pfister all of a sudden. I actually think it's a reaction to me doing the classic lifts and not skipping leg days.

"I bet you could eat a whole cow!" - No, but thanks for assuming I don't control my diet (well, at least now I do). I will take a steak if you're buying.

"You'll never loose weight without cardio man." - 71lbs and 20% body fat, what was your argument?

I took a chance and wrote on facebook my new deadlift PR (I never write in facebook anything fitness related) and my dad, who is very overweight, never been fit, and thinks he knows everything about everything, has been commenting ever since that day.

"You are going to hurt yourself"

"So what, you want to be a bodybuilder"

"They all take steroids you know why don't you just run?"

"Girls aren't built to be lifting like that"

"You will end up with a bad back for years"

I've given up telling him abut fitness. Apparently he knows it all.

At least you know he's worried about you.

I'm actually teaching my daughter lifting form at the moment with dumbells (she's almost 6). I'm not going to tell her she can't lift and I'm darn sure not leaving it up to some yahoo to teach her. I won't let her use any real weight right now but it's daddy/daughter time I cherish. She's even going to get a kilt like mine to wear to the Highland Games when I compete.

I'm actually teaching my daughter lifting form at the moment with dumbells (she's almost 6). I'm not going to tell her she can't lift and I'm darn sure not leaving it up to some yahoo to teach her. I won't let her use any real weight right now but it's daddy/daughter time I cherish. She's even going to get a kilt like mine to wear to the Highland Games when I compete.

Slightly off-topic, but that is awesome. Your daughter's gonna grow up to be Wonder Woman.

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

She came home from gymnastics a couple of weeks ago and showed me she'd learned to do a handstand against the wall then proceeded to do a handstand pushup....at 5 years old. I was proud and jealous all at the same time!

Youth is wasted on the young, I tell ya....

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

At least you know he's worried about you.

I would love to agree with you, but the back story is my family is very religious and go to church a few times a week. Since leaving home Ive become pretty irregular, and now he knows working out and soccer take up so much of my time (instead of church) he highly disapproves. So its pretty sarcastic, which sucks.

I'm extremely jealous of your daddy/daughter time!!! I can't wait to have a kid! I'm going to be a soccer/footy/gymnastics/tennis/swimming/whatevertheywanttodo mum for sure :P what size dumbbells is she doing? I'm already jealous of her upper body strength!!!! She sounds gorgeous!

Guys at the gym make fun of my legs. I've got big legs and calves, a lot of the fella's joke, "Stop training your f***ing calves!" etc. It's funny the first few hundred times but it gets old after a little while.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? I'm thoroughly impressed with big legs what do they have? Chicken legs???

I would love to agree with you, but the back story is my family is very religious and go to church a few times a week. Since leaving home Ive become pretty irregular, and now he knows working out and soccer take up so much of my time (instead of church) he highly disapproves. So its pretty sarcastic, which sucks.

I'm extremely jealous of your daddy/daughter time!!! I can't wait to have a kid! I'm going to be a soccer/footy/gymnastics/tennis/swimming/whatevertheywanttodo mum for sure :tongue: what size dumbbells is she doing? I'm already jealous of her upper body strength!!!! She sounds gorgeous!

We started with some little 1lb dumbells. Teaching her to curl and do delt exercises. I'm slowly working in some plate loaded dumbells with 10lbs and showing her how to deadlift. She also does yogalaites with her mom, gymnastics, and rides horses 2-3 times a week (my wife's family are cowboys).

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? I'm thoroughly impressed with big legs what do they have? Chicken legs???

I used to dedicate an entire day to legs, but nowadays I only do a few exercises that do leg work... squats, dead lifts, prowler sled and Judo.

You better believe it - these guys have massive, ripped upper bodies and of course, tiny legs. One guy thought it was funny to say "His calves are bigger than his arms!" - isn't that how we're SUPPOSED to be developed, or am I just a weirdo?

I used to dedicate an entire day to legs, but nowadays I only do a few exercises that do leg work... squats, dead lifts, prowler sled and Judo.

You better believe it - these guys have massive, ripped upper bodies and of course, tiny legs. One guy thought it was funny to say "His calves are bigger than his arms!" - isn't that how we're SUPPOSED to be developed, or am I just a weirdo?

The object isn't to wear 'skinny' jeans, the object is to make regular jeans fit like skinny jeans. Stronger legs mean stronger core.

This is going to sound really stupid but... I have to wear bigger than normal jeans and trousers to accommodate for my legs. It sounds REALLY stupid I know, but my jeans and stuff are bigger than they should be. I never wear skinny jeans anyway, I'm repulsed by them when they're on me. I try to buy boot cut jeans.

Whoever invented belts - I THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I think something is wrong with me. :P

See, the only person I work out with has openly marveled at the size of my legs, because no matter what he does his legs just don't bulk.  I, on the other hand, seem to have tree trunk legs that even with a bunch of weight loss haven't gone away.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

This is going to sound really stupid but... I have to wear bigger than normal jeans and trousers to accommodate for my legs. It sounds REALLY stupid I know, but my jeans and stuff are bigger than they should be. I never wear skinny jeans anyway, I'm repulsed by them when they're on me. I try to buy boot cut jeans.

I think something is wrong with me. :tongue:

Heh, you're not the only one who does that, it's not stupid, it's necessity! If I find jeans that should fit me around the waist then they almost definitely won't get past my calves. It's a nightmare going into changing rooms and always getting that one person telling me that I shouldn't be wearing such a large size and that there's no way anything could refuse to come up past my calves... Never tried skinny jeans. Even if I didn't have reasonably bulky legs, they're not something I'd go for.

So, yeah, definitely grateful for belts being a thing!

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

I think something is wrong with me. :P

Me too. .. I hear all the time "you have some fine legs for a fat girl"... I always wanna say "I have some fine legs for ANY sized girl because seriously you can bounce quarters off my solid swole calves!

And. .. I hear all the time "I could never ride my bike as much as you" (we did a 160 mile trail in June and a 105 partial trail in July) or "i could never hike like you do". ... to which i always reply well when i first started i couldn't either I had to train hard and increase slowly. .. I also hear "I could never eat as healthy as you do all the time and you never go for the junk food i could never do that" to which i reply neither could i when i started babysteps are the key!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Not really fitness related or a specific comment I heard, but I've realized one of my biggest pet peeves is people who cannot stop themselves from talking. I'm more of an introvert, so I am perfectly happy sitting in silence or not speaking for long periods of time, and it drives me crazy when I'm around someone who has to fill every minute with some kind of conversation. Then, when I give polite, short answers, they go "are you feeling ok?" or "feeling tired"? Nope - I just don't need conversation every single second I'm around other people.