Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

I wear beanies,  all the friggin time, all through out the year (yes even in the summer); I just recently shaved my head. So it annoys the piss out of me when someone I know and has known me for years asks me if my head is cold because I'm wearing my hat. "Yea, that's right I never wore a hat before, my head is cold so I thought I would change my style"

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

so when does the word Twerking become proper?

When your employee is just sitting around is a good time...

"Hey... ya'll git back twerk naw ya hear"

Just one example...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

When your employee is just sitting around is a good time...

"Hey... ya'll git back twerk naw ya hear"

Just one example...

Bah! Misappropriation, but for a higher purpose!!!

Frankly, the urban dictionary pisses me right off, because now, you can no longer claim that ain't ain't a word, 'cause it ain't in the dictionary, so I ain't gonna say ain't no more.

Bling bling made it into Oxford. Painful.

It's a shame, really that we've nearly lost such wonderfully poetic words such as witticism or pejorative and replaced them with dumbed down versions of, say, lol, or 'dis' or... Don't know, really. Nothing fills the gap.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

I'm really not as much of a stickler on language as long as people know what you mean. That doesn't mean there aren't annoyances it just means I can't think of any right now...

Although I will say I gave up on the dictionary when shagadelic(yes from austin powers) became an official word.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

I'm really not as much of a stickler on language as long as people know what you mean. That doesn't mean there aren't annoyances it just means I can't think of any right now...

Although I will say I gave up on the dictionary when shagadelic(yes from austin powers) became an official word.

That blows. Especially since it doesn't even get used!

Ok, here's one: how is it that 'that sucks' and 'that blows' means the same thing?

Or, 'that's cool' and 'that's hot'?

Mostly rhetorical, but if anyone's game to have a go at that one...

----

That blows. Especially since it doesn't even get used!

Ok, here's one: how is it that 'that sucks' and 'that blows' means the same thing?

Or, 'that's cool' and 'that's hot'?

Mostly rhetorical, but if anyone's game to have a go at that one...

How can a house burn up as it burns down?

How can it be hot as hell one day, and cold as hell the next?

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Oh oh oh I know the first one, Flames appear to travel upwards when the are burning and as the supply of the fire deplenishes it crumbles to the ground.

The second one is the age old debate of whether hell is hot or cold; either way it still sucks.

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Bah! Misappropriation, but for a higher purpose!!!

Frankly, the urban dictionary pisses me right off, because now, you can no longer claim that ain't ain't a word, 'cause it ain't in the dictionary, so I ain't gonna say ain't no more.

Back when I was in 5th grade or so, I was looking in the giant dictionary in the back of English class (can't remember which publisher it was).  It had ain't in it, with the definition "not a word."  Ended up losing the argument on it being a word, but I did get the teacher to stop saying it wasn't in the dictionary.

English is hardly and never has been a pure language.  It is an arbitrary amalgamation of Anglo-Saxon and adjectives rifled from the pockets of romance and germanic languages we chased down dark alleys and beat up.

Language changes, evolves. We create new words for new cultural trends, word meanings change over time through vernacular use.  The dictionary is and should be a document that chronicles the language as it is, not as it should be.  Otherwise we'd still be using the middle English syntax of the Canterbury Tales. 

• Like 2

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

the thing that gets me the most is when my boss screams at me she says " I pacifically told you to...".

really so you mentioned the ocean while telling me what to do?

i then go on to mention the word specifically as often as possible and emphasize the S

• Like 2

English is hardly and never has been a pure language.  It is an arbitrary amalgamation of Anglo-Saxon and adjectives rifled from the pockets romance and germanic languages we chased down dark alleys and beat up.

Ah, English.  Don't you love how it's somehow become the world standard?

Back when I was in 5th grade or so, I was looking in the giant dictionary in the back of English class (can't remember which publisher it was).  It had ain't in it, with the definition "not a word."  Ended up losing the argument on it being a word, but I did get the teacher to stop saying it wasn't in the dictionary.

I think I'd be a little concerned if you DID remember the publisher...

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 - DEX 2.25 - STA 4.5 - CON 5.5 - WIS 6 - CHA 6

Introduction

Previous Battle Log     Current Battle Log

First Challenge     Previous Challenge     Current Challenge

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

What do we say to the god of failure?  NOT TODAY.

so when does the word Twerking become proper?

Never. Twerking will never be proper.

• Like 1

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

the thing that gets me the most is when my boss screams at me she says " I pacifically told you to...".

really so you mentioned the ocean while telling me what to do?

i then go on to mention the word specifically as often as possible and emphasize the S

Maybe she was trying to pacify you... You can tell her that you do feel so much better, thank you!

Sent from an alternate universe using Alien tech.

----

The dutch new word of the year is selfie. Which brought out a stream of indignant people ranting how an english word could not be the dutch word bladibla. So they invented the word autofoto which is just a combination of latin words. *sigh* of course that would be much better than just using selfy a word people actually know and use.

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

I had the opposite of an annoying comment the other day. I was so stunned that I need to share it here.

A student at my school (for adults, mind you) noticed my weight loss and asked me what I was doing. So I told her about cutting grains, working out, eating more veggies, etc. Her response?

"Oh, you're not just doing that to lose weight. It's a lifestyle change, isn't it?"

I almost fainted when she said that. Wow, after so many of my colleagues gave me grief with stupid and hurtful comments, this woman just GOT it! She noticed my surprise, and she told me that one of her best friends was a lifestyle coach. :) It's nice to meet people who understand.

Mind, somebody did say that it would be easy for me to quit smoking because I was not a "real smoker". The reason she said that? She never saw me smoke outside. I used to smoke a pack a day. The look on her face when I said that was priceless. It is in fact possible to smoke 20-30 cigarettes just in the early morning and the late evening.

• Like 5

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.