Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

"Do you know how many people would kill to have your body?"

Technically, I am in the healthy weight range for my height and build. When I mention that I'm not where I feel I should be in terms of physical fitness, I hear comments like this. It implies that I'm selfish because I didn't just work towards a certain number and then stop.

I can relate to this and it's a bit of a double edged sword. Because of the sport I train and compete in (judo), I should be under a certain weight to compete (under 100kg, or 220Ibs, anywhere from 90-99kg, so anywhere between 198-218Ibs). All the time people tell me "You don't need to lose any more weight" "You look fine" "You'll disappear". If it wasn't for judo, I wouldn't care about my weight as a number, however I have to. 

Anyway - On one hand, the person could be trying to give you a innocent compliment (albeit just worded a bit poorly) but on the other hand they could be trying to imply something, e.g. "You work out too much" or "You don't need to do any more exercise" or "You should have more fun", sometimes all of the above including the former (e.g. the compliment). I realise this is contradicting but... people are weird and contradicting sometimes. 

At the end of the day a lot of people unfortunately just don't understand, they don't get it. You obviously have goals and you wish to achieve those goals. Once you achieve those goals though it doesn't mean you have to stop, as by achieving your old goals you may end up getting new ones. That's the idea of health and fitness, of training, you don't just stop once you reach a certain goal, you keep going. It's about the journey, not the destination, because it's not a "program" or a "diet", it's a lifestyle. It's a choice, your choice, and you obviously are enjoying the choice you made. 

If they got onto the health and fitness train like you have then they would begin to understand. Only then would they understand. 

• Like 4

I hate the comments I get from my sister when I mention that I want to do more body weight exercises & weight training "Why would you want to do that?! You'll end up looking like a man! You'll be way too muscly!!"

And the "Why would you want abs?!! You'll look so manly!!"

Mind you, she has lost quite a bit of weight (although not in an overly healthy way), but she can't do a push up to save her life. I'd rather be able to do pushups, chin up and sit ups than be 'skinny fat'. And she hates it when I park my car as far away from the shopping centre as possible - yet she can run on a treadmill for an hour. Or when we take my dog down to the waterfall near our house & she complains the whole way back up the hill that it's too much of a walk for her. WTF. (The walk takes about 30 minutes each way with a steep incline on the way home and it's not really that bad).

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

| STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 1 | CON 0 | WIS 7 | CHA 0

1 2

At the end of the day a lot of people unfortunately just don't understand, they don't get it. You obviously have goals and you wish to achieve those goals. Once you achieve those goals though it doesn't mean you have to stop, as by achieving your old goals you may end up getting new ones. That's the idea of health and fitness, of training, you don't just stop once you reach a certain goal, you keep going. It's about the journey, not the destination, because it's not a "program" or a "diet", it's a lifestyle. It's a choice, your choice, and you obviously are enjoying the choice you made. 

If they got onto the health and fitness train like you have then they would begin to understand. Only then would they understand. 

I get this a lot... people have been telling me I have such great willpower, they don't know how I do it, etc... while I'm sure they're genuine, I feel like all I'm doing is making a goal and sticking with it. Willpower isn't that difficult if you're doing what you want and it makes you happy! I enjoy eating healthier foods and being active, and it's something I'm going to keep doing, even after I've lost all the weight that I plan to. I think maybe it's just too much "willpower" for some people to give up their unhealthier ways?

Level 1 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 0.5 | DEX 0.5 | STA 2 | CON 0.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5

Current Challenge: britne's newbie quest!

About me | Find me: RunKeeper | WeightTraining | DGCourseReview | GeocachingSteam | tumblr | Clash of Clans: Melisende

"We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one." - The Eleventh Doctor

Goal: Lose 68 pounds (from 218.6 to 150) - Currently: 170.2 - Progress:

71.2%
71.2%

I hate the comments I get from my sister when I mention that I want to do more body weight exercises & weight training "Why would you want to do that?! You'll end up looking like a man! You'll be way too muscly!!"

And the "Why would you want abs?!! You'll look so manly!!"

Mind you, she has lost quite a bit of weight (although not in an overly healthy way), but she can't do a push up to save her life. I'd rather be able to do pushups, chin up and sit ups than be 'skinny fat'. And she hates it when I park my car as far away from the shopping centre as possible - yet she can run on a treadmill for an hour. Or when we take my dog down to the waterfall near our house & she complains the whole way back up the hill that it's too much of a walk for her. WTF. (The walk takes about 30 minutes each way with a steep incline on the way home and it's not really that bad).

I've heard of the concept of "gym strength" before, but this is the first time I have ever considered the possibility of "gym endurance".

Also, "Why would you want abs?!! You'll look so manly!!"

This is also the first time I ever heard of anyone question why someone wants abs, or make claims that they are an exclusively masculine feature. Seriously, how is your sister even real? Has she not noticed the multitudes of women embarking on their own ab quest and all the women's fitness magazines peddling ab workouts?

"Wow how do you walk this every day? It's so far no wonder you're so skinny."

^ About the walk between my apartment and class. Seriously it takes 15 min... (or 20 if I take the long way and get coffee ;) )

• Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

I've heard of the concept of "gym strength" before, but this is the first time I have ever considered the possibility of "gym endurance".

This is also the first time I ever heard of anyone question why someone wants abs, or make claims that they are an exclusively masculine feature. Seriously, how is your sister even real? Has she not noticed the multitudes of women embarking on their own ab quest and all the women's fitness magazines peddling ab workouts?

Well... running on a treadmill is a lot easier than running on sidewalk, the treadmill really does a lot of the work for you when you think about it. Throw a hill into the mix, and I can definitely see "gym endurance" being a thing...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

My two year old called me "fatty" today, while I was on the scale...so at least I got that goin' for me

• Like 1

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

Kids are great for the ego, right? My sister and I once joked about starting The Floppy and Squishy Radio Hour based on comments from our kids. Ha ha ha boo hoo.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Are you suggesting we should start doing it "right"? Coz I'm not convinced I want to see anyone else's junk when I'm at the bottom of a squat with 40kgs on my shoulders...

• Like 4

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I at least need my sports bra or else I'm going to hurt myself. Or someone nearby. O.o

• Like 5

Level 1 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 0.5 | DEX 0.5 | STA 2 | CON 0.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5

Current Challenge: britne's newbie quest!

About me | Find me: RunKeeper | WeightTraining | DGCourseReview | GeocachingSteam | tumblr | Clash of Clans: Melisende

"We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one." - The Eleventh Doctor

Goal: Lose 68 pounds (from 218.6 to 150) - Currently: 170.2 - Progress:

71.2%
71.2%

I don't think doing it "right" would work well either. I just think its funny that something that was once done naked has now turned into a fashion show. Though I do wonder what it was like to work out in a gym in ancient Greece. I hope the spotters for bench weren't like the overly helpful kind found today...

And Barfly, how did those runners not get arrested?

• Like 1

I don't think doing it "right" would work well either. Though I do wonder what it was like to work out in a gym in ancient Greece. I hope the spotters for bench weren't like the overly helpful kind found today...

And Barfly, how did those runners not get arrested?

A lot of them did this year, which seemed to surprise a lot of people. In past years, though, San Francisco had an ordinance allowing public nudity and last year the race sponsors got a 1 day nudity permit. I kid you not.

The problem is, most of the the naked people should not have been :P

• Like 2

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Yep, it get's super annoying 'Why would you park all the way out here when there were parks closer?! I don't want to walk that far!' I never really understood how that worked. Never made real sense to me. Why pay for and drive to a gym to walk on a treadmill when you can do it IRL around your home and not have to pay for it? And then not have the actual fitness to go for a normal walk.

I think she's seen too many female bodybuilder types rather than fit chicks. And she's into the whole 'Skinnytea detox' crap. http://www.skinnymetea.com.au/  And she does the whole 'Oh but I've lost so-and-so amount' and then goes and eats some deep fried or sugary crap and goes on about how she doesn't want to eat veggies. I still don't understand how she actually lost weight. My brain hurts now.

Well... running on a treadmill is a lot easier than running on sidewalk, the treadmill really does a lot of the work for you when you think about it. Throw a hill into the mix, and I can definitely see "gym endurance" being a thing...

Yep, she was totally *ucked walking up that hill. Funniest thing I've ever seen. And my dog pretty much drags me along so I have to walk up it super fast or the dog looks at me like 'WTF, HURRY YO ASS UP, I NEED TO GET TO THE TOP TO CHASE TURKEYS!'. 

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

1 2

Are you suggesting we should start doing it "right"? Coz I'm not convinced I want to see anyone else's junk when I'm at the bottom of a squat with 40kgs on my shoulders...

I definitely won't be spotting any guys that are doing squats... women on the other hand....

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

Yep, it get's super annoying 'Why would you park all the way out here when there were parks closer?! I don't want to walk that far!' I never really understood how that worked. Never made real sense to me. Why pay for and drive to a gym to walk on a treadmill when you can do it IRL around your home and not have to pay for it? And then not have the actual fitness to go for a normal walk.

I think she's seen too many female bodybuilder types rather than fit chicks. And she's into the whole 'Skinnytea detox' crap. http://www.skinnymetea.com.au/  And she does the whole 'Oh but I've lost so-and-so amount' and then goes and eats some deep fried or sugary crap and goes on about how she doesn't want to eat veggies. I still don't understand how she actually lost weight. My brain hurts now.

Yep, she was totally *ucked walking up that hill. Funniest thing I've ever seen. And my dog pretty much drags me along so I have to walk up it super fast or the dog looks at me like 'WTF, HURRY YO ASS UP, I NEED TO GET TO THE TOP TO CHASE TURKEYS!'. 

I get the first one from my fiance, she hates walking "SOOO FARRRR"... but yet wants to lose weight. I usually park at the first opening I run into... and with a half full parking that, that tends to be out in the boonies.

The skinny tea thing, if she has a metabolism like mine, she could quite easily lose weight doing just about anything...

My first challenge

I get the first one from my fiance, she hates walking "SOOO FARRRR"... but yet wants to lose weight. I usually park at the first opening I run into... and with a half full parking that, that tends to be out in the boonies.

The skinny tea thing, if she has a metabolism like mine, she could quite easily lose weight doing just about anything...

Haha that's what I don't understand. She complains that she wants to lose weight but won't walk more than 20m. =/

Hmm.. I'm not overly sure about her metabolism as she was quite chubby (coming from me I shouldn't say chubby as she's thinner than I am). I think she cut down a fair bit on her portion sizes and at some stage I don't think she was eating properly either. I just don't think she realises that drinking 1 x skinny tea everday won't give you long term weightloss while eating the same amount of crap.

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

1 2

I get this a lot... people have been telling me I have such great willpower, they don't know how I do it, etc... while I'm sure they're genuine, I feel like all I'm doing is making a goal and sticking with it. Willpower isn't that difficult if you're doing what you want and it makes you happy! I enjoy eating healthier foods and being active, and it's something I'm going to keep doing, even after I've lost all the weight that I plan to. I think maybe it's just too much "willpower" for some people to give up their unhealthier ways?

I agree, those people are most likely being genuine and are trying to praise you for your work. Take it as a compliment. 

You seem humble about your achievements and in turn, I think that is a very good thing. Stay humble. Don't ever lose that. 

Regarding "willpower", it is honestly a difficult path to take. Think about it, when we get comfortable with something, when we enjoy something it can be very hard to break away from. When I used to be overweight, it was very "easy" to live that life style. I would enjoy the foods I eat (junk food) and healthy foods back then to me tasted like crap. Why would I want to eat healthy foods? It tastes terrible. Why would I want to exercise? It's hard and I feel sore for a few days. it's a terrible feeling! I'll take the easy way, the way I enjoy. 

See, that example above is the exact mentality I had back in the day, and I strongly believe t's the mentality that a lot of people of today still have. Back then I knew I was overweight but I didn't want to admit it, I didn't want to talk about it, it was a problem I knew was there but I kinda just wanted to ignore it and keep doing what I was doing, because that was the easier option. In saying that, I did have "moments" where I tried to change my ways, e.g. by exercising and healthy eating but in my above example, it was just too hard and it was very easy to give up and go back to what I was doing. 

That's what it comes down to regarding that "willpower", basically acquiring the ability to stand up and do something, to force yourself to change, to force yourself to improve. It sounds rough of me to say, but that's what it comes down to. For me to change, I had to seriously hit rock bottom and have something bad happen to me, to force me to change. Some people on the other hand are more motivated than that and have a stronger willpower than I. For example, I know one fella who was once 120kg (264Ibs) and in twelve months, he dropped to 63kg (138Ibs) and competed in a natural body building competition at less than 7% body fat, and now works as a personal trainer. Amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it? 

My point is, yes, it's all about willpower and determination, you're just quite humble about it. :) 

• Like 2

"If I workout as you do, I'd look/do the same as you!"

Then go f******g do it already!

Yeah, wtf?!?!?! "I could look like that if I did all that training..."  THAT'S THE WHOLE FREAKING POINT!!!!!!! If anyone did the training they could achieve the results, but it's the "getting off your fat, lazy ass and actually doing it" bit that's the hardest.  Ungh! *facepalm*

yeah, you just keep telling yourself that! :tongue:

It's all about the context man. ;)

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously