Forums are back in action! ×

long-time lurker, taking the plunge

Well, here I am. I've been reading Nerd Fitness for ages and have been doing the Beginner Bodyweight workout for 8 weeks now. (Woot!) Anyway, thinking of joining the next challenge so joining the forums was a logical step...

About me: I spent my entire childhood with my nose in a book so never wanted to bother with anything athletic. Having recently cemented my nerdiness with a PhD, it finally occurred to me (with the help of a fellow PhD-er) that maybe I should be pushing my body the way I had been pushing my brain. I've been walking/cycling everywhere I go for several years now so am not completely out of shape, but I definitely want to get stronger. Recently moved to Scandinavia so being in shape for outdoor activities will be a huge plus!

Anyway, hi. :-)

Level 1 Wood elf ~ Assassin at heart, training with the Adventurers
STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 3|CHA 3

Thanks for the kind welcome!

I am seeing results but slowly - down 3/4 inch on my waist, half an inch on my thighs from when I started. I need to do better with food - I don't make terrible food choices, but I'm a really inconsistent eater!

terrormortus - Indiana Jones made me want to be an archaeologist growing up, right up until I realized that there were waaaay too many bones involved!

Phonetics - I research how listeners use changes in things like pitch, loudness, or speech rate to change the meaning of what we say. Strictly no skeletons :friendly_wink:

Re: inconsistent eating, I have trouble with lunches - I never know what to bring so I end up not eating very much or else buying something processed from the cafe. Then since I've generally only had 2 eggs for breakfast (about all I can get down at that time of day!), I get home after work having not eaten much more than 500 calories and therefore completely ravenous so I end up grabbing the first thing I see rather than actively choosing things to put together for a balanced meal. Plus which I hate doing dishes, so although I'm a pretty decent cook (if I do say so myself), I often don't do it just so I won't have to wash up afterwards!

Fixing the lunch situation is definitely going to be a major thing for the 6-week challenge...

well I just startedmaking my own trail mix and portioning it out into little ziploc bags for a work snack.  It actually keeps me feeling good for a few hours.  Maybe you wanna try something like that?

mine  is banana chips, crainsens, peanuts, cashews, and 1 square of hershey special suepr dark chaoaolate broken into like 5ish pieces. 

on a side note, how do I edit posts?  the spelling mistakes I just did are horrific.

There should be an edit button right near the quote button.

When in doubt always go with a sandwich, they're awesome. But yeah go out buy some luncheon meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc and something to go with it like trail mix or fruit and you're golden. Do what I do and imagine you mom is packing it, and what she might put in it.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

I find that I'm the same way when I get home. If I haven't eaten in the afternoon, I end up eating more while I cook dinner than I actually do at dinner - and it's usually an entire package of pepperoni or something equally disgusting while standing at the kitchen counter watching tv. 

Now I bring snacks to work each week or stop at the CVS near my office on my way in each morning. Trail mix, yogurt, or peanut butter crackers work well for me because they're filling enough but not so much that I'm not hungry when I get home. I've tried fruit and veggies, but I'm usually still famished when I get home. 

I also like to have a few precooked dinners in the freezer that I can just heat up, because I know there will be nights when I'm too lazy to do anything and it keeps me from calling Dominoes. 

Ooh, trail mix is an excellent idea - hadn't thought of that! I'm trying to cut down on grains in a tending-towards-paleo-without-actually-being-there-yet sort of way, so sandwiches aren't ideal, but I like the suggestion of imagining what my mom would pack for my lunch - that's a great way to think about keeping it balanced.

DCRangerista - I know what you mean about the fruit and veg. I love me some fruit, especially in the midmorning slump, but it just isn't enough in the afternoon, especially because lunch here in Sweden is REALLY early.

Archived