Forums are back in action! ×

Howdy from weather (wx) nerd!

Just stumbled onto the site a couple of days ago and couldn't stop reading every blog entry Steve has wrote. His whole story alone got me hooked, the fact that it had to do with fitness was just a bonus! 

So, I think I am kind of a Monk/Ranger hybrid as I have been training Brazilian Jujitsu for about 2 years (though my gym current not offering classes) and have recently decided to get more fit in general. The later initially was mainly to help my BJJ, but once I got moving and learning I was hooked. So, about a month ago I hired a personal trainer so that I could have someone there with me when my wife can't tag along and most importantly teach me a thing or two the right way. The trainer I choose is a BJJ student as well, so he has mainly showed me things that will help me in that spectrum. Most of what he has me doing is intervals, which again I love. In fact, I enjoy it so much that one of my goals is to get up the strength and courage to step into a CrossFit class. I would do it now but I have a tendency to go all out, and I don't want to get injured.  

A little about me... 

I am from Texas though currently live in Tucson, AZ. I work for the National Weather Service here, which means like many others I spend my days behind a desk. Prior to the weather service I was in the Army Reserves while I slowly finished my degree in meteorology at Texas A&M. (Gig'em) I am current at 250 lbs (6 ft) which is down from 265 two and half months ago, mainly from cardio and aimlessly walking around the gym and trying different machines. (Don't get on the machines much anymore, though.) 

My goals...

I would love to drop below 200 lbs and get my BF down to <15%. I have set this goals date a May 1, 2014. Also, I would like to be back to be able to at least pass the Army Fitness test. I always struggled with the run, mainly since I never trained or kept up with my physical fitness when I was in the military. 

As mentioned above I want to try CrossFit and the date I set is July 1, which should be enough time.

I also set a couple of weight goals for the next couple of months: down 5 lbs by May 4 and down to 235 lbs by June 15. Now I would gladly settle for being able to drop a pant size by June.

Level 3 - Ranger

Current Challenge: At It Again!

Well, I haven't seen WX used since I quit working for the USMC.  I'm glad you found your way to NF.  If you haven't found the free resources yet, click on the NERD FITNESS tab and check them out; especially the guide to healthy eating.  There is a challenge starting in about a week; its a lot of fun and a great way to stay on track - click on the CHALLENGE tab and head for the FAQs.  Good luck improving your running time. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

I am not sure about getting into a Challenge just yet, as a I am schedule for surgery about half way through it. 

I just got the starter guide!

Tried inverted rows for the first time a couple of days ago and I can say I am definitely liking the burn. First big step in the process to being able to do more than one or two pull ups at a time. Any other idea or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Level 3 - Ranger

Current Challenge: At It Again!

welcome!  I'm new and gonna start the next 6-week challenge.  It looks interesting.  pants size is def a better indicator of weight loss than just a number.  Many people (self included) stress too much about the numbers and aren't really accurate on a regular scale.  gl and have fun.

Archived