Forums are back in action! ×

Nerdy Newbie!

I would like to say that the topic of my title is a bit stretched, I am a newby, but I am not that nerdy. I am here because I consider myself skinny fat. I am skinny, yet I have that pot belly that protrudes out. I am so embarassed of my pot belly that I have learned to suck it in when I am out in public; a learned habit. Anyways, I have partial hypothyroidism, which is kind of ironic, because that makes a person gain weight, yet I am skinny. The reason I feel the need to mention my partial hypothyroidism, is because I never feel like I have enough energy to do anything, ever. And I take medicine for my hypothyroidism too and I can never understand why I feel like crap all the time and then it finally dawned on me that we are what we eat, and since I eat junk, I am going to feel like junk. Like everyone who wants to get into "shape" or "eat healthy" I watched the, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" documentary and thought I would start out juicing. I went out and bought a 20 dollar juicer, bought 40 dollars worth in fruits and vegetables and I went into it like I knew what I was doing, and I did not. Plus cleaning the juicer was a pain in the ass, so I gave up and I did not juice long enough to see any results. I juiced like two times in a period of a month. I learned a valuable lesson; know what you are doing before you do it. Which leads me to my next rant: Before I can get into "shape" and "eat right", I need to know how to go about doing it, and because the Internet is filled with dozens of articles on how to, I decided I would start out on Google, and a few minutes later I ended up here on Nerd Fitness. By the way, I am new as of today! I am also the kind of person that when things get tough I tend to give up, and after signing up and getting like three emails from Nerd Fitness and reading them, I thought to myself, "Geez, what a lot of information to take in, this is too overwhelming" and I felt like calling it quits but then I realized I would not have ended up at Nerd Fitness if I wasn't serious about turning my lazy lifestyle around. And I am serious about it, but like millions of others I do not know where to start, and so I am here to say, I am ready. I am ready to be a better me! And I am ready to listen!

I'm hypothyroid also.  I'm still not happy with the amount of energy I've got, but I'm feeling a lot better since I cleaned up my diet and added strength training to my workout.  The change in my diet is fairly simple; the only packaged foods I eat are minimally processed (yogurt, aged cheese, nut butter).  I essentially eat primal, but not obsessively so.  You've joined just in time; we just finished a challenge so a new one will be starting up in about a week.  Click on the CHALLENGE tab and check out the FAQs for all the info.  If I can help get you rolling somehow, send me a message (hover over my name and you'll see the option).  Welcome.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

welcome!  the big thing I noticed here is simplicity.  Once I read of a bunch of articles I realized that a lot is just having common sense.  eating foods that you know aren't processed/treated (like you could just walk outside and have as opposed to picked, shucked, grounded, bleached, additives, shaped, and then heated into a patty or loaf shape).  and for fitness to not sweat the 'optimized' solution to weight loss/muscle gain. 

just do small changes that make sense to you over a long period of time to build a better self.  if you make small steps (but keep making sure you move forward in those steps) is all that needs to be done.  and like laureleye said, check out the next 6-week challenge.  gl and have fun.

Archived