Forums are back in action! ×

Day 1 of Infinity

Hi All,

I am a book nerd and underwear gnome who is looking to get into shape. I was never very active before, even as a kid, and 3 years ago picked up a desk job that has done my general health no good. Last year I hit my heaviest  weight at 156, which is a bit much considering I am 5'4 1/2" ( that half is very important as it makes me taller than my sister)  :orange: With some heavy dieting and weight watchers I dropped to my current weight of 143, but I decided that if this is going to stick I need to be able to make it with out giving someone 20 bucks a month to tell me I am eating badly. I KNOW I am eating badly and personally I blame those sneaky little tree living elves, they are insidiously evil and delicious. 

In general I hate running, it makes me cry..... don't ask I can't explain it. I like walking, can tolerate jogging, but running is out. I have no sense of rhythm so the Zumba class I started to take is really interesting sometimes, but I'm sticking with it.   I really want to do a pull up, for no other reason than to say I can and prove it, and that is actually how I found nerdfitness is someone linked the "How to FINALLY do a pull up" Article on Fitocracy. I am super curious about strength training but I have no one to spot me or teach me at the gym, so I am not sure how that is going to work out for me. I'd love to be able to deadlift my body weight. 

I haven't figured out my goals yet ( I think I am thinking too much (SHOCKER)) but they are coming, but even after I get them I know I'll need motivation, my family isn't big on the exercising thing. 

See you around. 

Mouse

I can do this. STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Never compare YOUR beginning to someone else's middle. 

Welcome mouse! I hate running too. I'm running a 5K race just to be able to say that I've done it, but otherwise I avoid running. Check the BBWW for some basic strength training -- you can do it at home in your living room and it hardly requires equipment (only a gallon milk jug). Hope to see you join the next challenge!!

Level 2 Half-elf Adventurer

STR 3.25 | DEX 3.75 | STA 6.5 | CON 6 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 3.75

Intro ~ Challenge 1 ~ Challenge 2

"Sometimes the path of least resistance leads through a minefield"

Welcome aboard!  If you are wanting to work up to going to the gym, you can always hit up the Beginner Bodyweight Workout article and start there.  I'm not a big fan of going to the gym and the bodyweight stuff sounded good to me, along w/Interval training. 

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer/Assassin    

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Goals: 200 pounds, the old size 36 leather pants in my closet :)

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

Ha ha~! Another Mouse! We'll take over the world, I tell you! >w<

I understand the 1/2" - my 1/4" puts me solidly above the 5' 0" mark. XD

I do the bodyweight training program that's linked above, too - I combine it with one of Steve's warm ups and tack on some stretching at the end for a nice 30-45 minute workout that I can do first thing in the morning.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a fan of running, but I'm with you on learning to lift heavy things and deadlift my bodyweight. One of my ultimate goals is to squat and deadlift twice my weight and then keep on tanking it up there. Fortunately, I've got a few cousins who should be able to help me out, but there's also a form check subforum that you can check out (haven't been there myself, though).

Have you read through the challenge FAQs? There's some great tips on writing attainable goals for challenges. :3
There's also the Challenge Goals Thread that can give you some ideas and feedback.

Welcome to the Rebellion, my fellow mouse! We shall soon take over this operation and make it our own. *maniacal laugh*

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Archived