Forums are back in action! ×

Went to the gym for some advice... guess I'm not doing too bad :D

Pretzle

So... my parents in law usually go to the gym twice a week. Today my father in law didn't feel up to it, so I joked "I could join you, just to see what it's like.." to my mother in law. Ok, so in the end it really happened :) 

We started off with a warming up on the bikes (10 minutes). After a few minutes one of the people working there noticed me and asked my mother in law about me "Yeah that's my daughter in law, she just wanted to see what it's like here" and then actually helped me (I can be a bit shy :P) to ask the questions I really wanted answers to: Most of all I want to try something with the weights section and I want to know whether I'm doing squats and push ups correctly.

We ended up just doing BW exercises (and my mother in law joined in! While she usually does some cross training etc. she rarely does BW, she did almost all of the reps and sets with me - I'm quite impressed! Yay for awesome family. I'm already sore - usually doesn't happen anymore with beginner bodyweight circuit - so I wonder how she'll feel tomorrow...).

Anyway, to copy my list from Dailymile:

16 squats x 3, 16 lunges (per leg! I usually do 24-26 total ^^; and he made me step out a lot further, too) x 3, and push ups 16 x 3 (of which 8 real ones + 8 knee push ups, 3 real ones (switching between wide and hands close together) + 13 knee push ups) and 16 knee push ups.

three different shoulder exercises (with 2 kgs in each hand) x 16 x 3, back exercises (on floor raising arms + legs a bit) 16 x 3, one stomach exercise (ugh) x 16 

Thing is though, at first he just asked me to demonstrate how I usually do my squats and lunges... and guess what? While he suggested I look up a bit instead of downwards (which apparently causes my imbalance with the lunges... go figure) form was FINE! (I was terrified I might be hurting myself with bad form, so that's a huge relief). :D Mostly thanks to the vids here at NF, thanks Steve!

Obviously he wanted to know why I didn't want to join a gym ;) Well I just don't (also because we might be moving soon).

So today suddenly ended up being one of the best work out days I've had for a while PLUS I know what I've wanted to know for a while (and got some suggestions for different exercises + variations to boot). (And got over my fear of the gym ;))

Awesome! 

level 10 wood elf assassin

Intro1st challenge | .... | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | Current @ warriors

Archived