Forums are back in action! ×

Alex vs. Mountain! [spoiler alert: the mountain didn't stand a chance]

alexifer

I've always enjoyed bike riding here in Beijing, mostly because it's flat and easy and it's quicker to get around the city. But I'm no hardcore cyclist, so I just have a little road bike with no gears, and I've never done a big ride before. My longest ride is my ride to work - 10km.

Over the weekend, though, I signed up for a charity bike ride called Bohai or Bust, which offers three routes around the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall. I took my road bike up there and chose the 32km ride. I had no brakes, it was windy, and the path was uphill for the first entire half of the ride, but I sloughed it out and got 16km uphill in just over 90 minutes. The route turned around and I sailed downhill the rest of the way, but it was then that I realized just how hard the bike ride up was. I was tired and hungry, but didn't feel nearly as drained as the time I biked the 25km around Beijing's second ring road last October, which was far less hilly.

I just wanted to say that this was great. It was just me, my legs, my bike, and a big-ass mountain that has the Great Wall of China on it. And a lot of it happened because of the lessons I learned from Steve, and the fitness I've built up from participating in the forum's six-week challenges. Thanks to everyone!

516d1b1937b0d_bohai.jpg

Taken at the top of the hill, Sancha Village.

L1 Ranger

Fitbit | Respawn Challenge: Take 2

Archived