Forums are back in action! ×

Anyone doing the Warrior Dash this year?

Marnieanne

I'd be interested to see who's doing it and maybe just encourage each other as we prepare.

Mine is in WI in the beginning of August. :)

My goal is to be able to do it...unassisted ;)

I don't want anyone man handling me over a wall! LOL I would really like to do on my own strength :)

How about you???

PS...I can't wait for the FIRE!!! Hehhee!!

post-14841-0-30777200-1366331576_thumb.j

Marnieanne

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."

Shawshank Redemption

"To find what you seek in the road of life,

leave no stone unturned."

Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Yep, I am! I'm doing it in New South Wales, Australia, on 1 June. I'm not much of a runner, so my goal is to run the whole route without walking.

My friend and I have already agreed that we will be singing the Chariots of Fire song as we hurdle over the flames. Can't wait.

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

tried to do one last year, but they cancelled it 2 weeks or so before the event :(.  Ended up doing a spartan race and then a tough mudder instead.  Good luck with it, they're a lot of fun and oddly addictive for something involving running.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Awesome guys!!! I'm so excited to do it!! I've been planning and planning to do it for several years and "things" keep stopping me.

This is the YEAR!!! I can't wait! I plan on camping at the site the night before with the family :)

I'm finishing up the C25K next week, and am weight lifting 3 times a week :)

What are you guys doing to train?

Marnieanne

Shawshank Redemption

Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Spartan Race has a WOD they email out and tough mudder has a set of workouts.  The one thing I don't do much of that I was expecting to was any sort of distance > 5k on a regular basis.  Lifting and intervals/sprints coupled with regular zombies, run sessions.(5k a time).  Oh and not eating/drinking crap.  That's the biggie.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Those ToughMudder workouts are awesome and asskicking, I used to do them with a group of friends for fun. I'm sure they'd be good training.

I've been told that the level of fitness required is not actually that high, so I'm just gonna stick with my usual 3 x per week strength training. Can only run probably once per week as otherwise I get knee pain when I go to do my squats :(

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

Ok...I'm officially pissed! I just wrote a huge post TWICE and it got deleted TWICE!

So here's the short version...

Huntress, sorry about your knee, I can simpithize, mine hurts too. :(

Smazzon! Awesome, how'd your run go today!? Can't wait to start running myself... :)

Are you doing any specific training for the Warrior Dash... I think I might check out Tough Mudders as Huntress mentioned. Maybe they have some good tips or something :)

So that's it in a nutshell...LOL

Marnieanne

Shawshank Redemption

Edward Bulwer-Lytton

There's a Zombie run I just got a livingsocial coupon for- I've been considering it- its only like 20 bucks- it's in PA but that's no bigge.  LOL

My friend is doing a Tough Mudder in June- I was thinking about doing it with her (Actually a little mad b/c I asked her to do it last year and she turned me down) but I figured I might get into at some point. 

Like I need something ELSE to do with my lack of time ;)

That's awesome Big Jim!! I'm not sure if I'll ever do the Tough Mudder, it makes me nervous LOL

There's the electric shock part and there's a cold "water" thing that freaks me out!

Good luck on that! Let us know how the WD goes for you.

Are you doing anything special to get ready?

Marnieanne

Shawshank Redemption

Edward Bulwer-Lytton

LOL Renegade! I heard about a Zombie Run near me in May, this one cost $75 though, and since I'm leaving the country for a week at the end of May I'd rather put my money towards that ;) Maybe next year though, it looks AWESOME!

Marnieanne

Shawshank Redemption

Edward Bulwer-Lytton

I am doing the St. Louis Dash September 27 with my husband...he has ever done one before - this will be my 3rd time (St. Louis and Chicago 2 yrs ago).

Marnieanne - you will do great...I have issues with my right arm and hand (pretty much can't raise my right arm...and no strength.  I had hand surgery a year ago November) and before surgery I was able to do all the obstacles on my own EXCEPT the WALL...My goal this year is to go over that wall - I'd prefer unassisted but since I've tried twice and didn't make it, I'll take an assist!!  

Next year I'd like to shoot for something even a little harder like Spartan or Tough Mudder.  Even though I know there are a few of those obstacles I'll never be able to complete I know there are more that I can!!!!

I'm focusing on strength training, especially my core with some cardio on the side.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks Sweetleaf that is really encouraging! Good luck to you and your husband!

I just started interval training today and did really well! I plan to do that once or twice a week. The interesting thing is that I

went almost the same distance walking for 1min 45sec and running (full speed) for 30 secs for 30 mins as I do jogging the same distance straight for 30 mins...I'm sure that's normal, it was just interesting :)

How's everyone else doing on their training this week?

Marnieanne

Shawshank Redemption

Edward Bulwer-Lytton

I've got the Warrior Dash here in August, it will be the second time I will run a Warrior Dash.  I wasn't able to do a lot of the obstacles my first time out, and although I didn't let it spoil my fun, but I really wished I could do more. I did Pretty Muddy last year during my "I-promised-my-husband-I'd-take-a-year-off-after-knee-surgery" year, and was able to accomplish all the obstacles. This year look like its going to be a Ranger Run in June, Warrior Dash and a Quarter Marathon in June, and it looks like a Zombie Run in October.

Right now I'm TRYING to get my diet under control (Paleo), doing Couch to 5ks and working on upper body/back work. I don't plan on running the course, but just be able to breathe is good.

I signed up for the warrior dash in Maryland, but I have a stress fracture in my foot. It's only been 2 weeks and it is supposed to take place on May 18th. I hope that I can go, but I'm not sure. I signed up for a run in August, called the dirty girl run. Looks similar.

I signed up for the warrior dash in Maryland, but I have a stress fracture in my foot. It's only been 2 weeks and it is supposed to take place on May 18th. I hope that I can go, but I'm not sure. I signed up for a run in August, called the dirty girl run. Looks similar.

That's the one I was planning for as well, but at this point, I'm not sure it will happen. Life got too busy and the people I'd normally go with won't be around....plus it looks like I may now be booked that weekend anyway. :(

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Last year, my friend cut her foot open on something sharp outside the vicious teeth of a roving bear and taped it up and ran the race. Afterwards, she had beer and stitches. 

(not recommended for health or safety)

Level 4 Human Ranger

Str: 8 Dex: 2  Con: 4.5  Int: 9.5 Wis: 8.5 Cha:  2  Sta: 5

Archived