Forums are back in action! ×

Big school woot!

gibnic

I know I am new and don't really know anyone here yet, but I already love this place and I feel like you are my people =) So I wanted to share my big news. 

I graduate from college next month with my Bachelor's degree in Sociology, minor in psych. I applied for two graduate programs, one in Sociology, and one MFA in creative writing program (my passion). I just got official word that I have been accepted to both! What are the chances of that? I know so many people who alpply to so many different programs and never get accepted and I only applied to my top two choices and got accepted to both!!!!!  :orange:

Now I have a great big decision to make.  :pride:

Elan Ranger, Level 3

STR 6|DEX 4|STA 5|CON 7|WIS 7|CHA 8

Height: 5'4Weight lost: 14.5 lbs

Current Challenge

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." -Nietzsche

Woot! Congratulations! :D

How are you going to decide? Any ideas?

Jimmy ^_^

Lvl 1 Human Ranger
STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

Current Challenge: Jimmy's First Challenge

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
- Aristotle

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
- Goethe

Jimmy,

I have been playing with the idea of trying to do both... lol. I think I am going to go for the writing though. The program looks amazing and I would love nothing more than to live the rest of my days reading good books and writing my own good books. The thing is, I don't have to have a degree to do that... but it sure won't hurt! I would also be able to teach, which is something else I love doing. If I go for the sociology program I am looking at the same, only much more academic. I can handle academic, but I prefer creative.

So really, I think it is already decided, however there is the potential to be able to do both... but that is crazy talk, right??? 

Elan Ranger, Level 3

STR 6|DEX 4|STA 5|CON 7|WIS 7|CHA 8

Height: 5'4Weight lost: 14.5 lbs

Current Challenge

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." -Nietzsche

Jimmy,

I have been playing with the idea of trying to do both... lol. I think I am going to go for the writing though. The program looks amazing and I would love nothing more than to live the rest of my days reading good books and writing my own good books. The thing is, I don't have to have a degree to do that... but it sure won't hurt! I would also be able to teach, which is something else I love doing. If I go for the sociology program I am looking at the same, only much more academic. I can handle academic, but I prefer creative.

So really, I think it is already decided, however there is the potential to be able to do both... but that is crazy talk, right??? 

It's not crazy if you believe you can do it!

Sounds like both are good options. Have you thought of doing an in-depth pros and cons list? (like Jim Halpert in 'The Office', I'm a big fan of pros and cons lists) :lol: My main concern would be career progression and money. I know it's not all about the money and if you're passionate about something then you should go for it no matter how hard it seems, however making ends meet is important. Will the creative writing program take you as far as the sociology or vice versa? Can you make more money doing one over the other or have more career oportunities?

All good things to think about :) or just make it harder on your time and easier on your decission making and go both like you said :lol:

Jimmy. ^_^

Lvl 1 Human Ranger
STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

Current Challenge: Jimmy's First Challenge

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
- Aristotle

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
- Goethe

That's awesome! Congratulations! 

Good luck with the decision!  :rapture:

Level 1 Human Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 4 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA:

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then, the doing of your work shall be no miracle, but you shall be the miracle." - Phillips Brooks

Archived