Forums are back in action! ×

Movies!

AlterStephen

That scene with the self-amputation is a prime example of great editing and sound design. Sure, Franco sold it really well and the practical effects they used were effective, but GOD... the wince factor was really cranked up. For me, anyway.

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Introduction - CharlieBoston and the Wavering Motvation
Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile

"Hope, D'Argo. It's what keeps you going... I have hope or I have nothing."

Definitely agree with that.

Star Trek Into Darkness was great. Not as good as the first, which I think had a stronger story, but still very good. Benedict Cumberbatch is, as usual, insanely good (and THAT VOICE of his, holy hell), and we do see a lot more emotion from Spock this time around. Tons of action too, a lot more than in the first film, but not as much humor. Still, a fantastic movie. I saw the midnight showing, so I need to see it again when I'm not so tired.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

—Mahatma Ghandi

As a countervailing opinion:

I just got back from Star Trek: Into Darkness, and I have mixed feelings. On the plus side, it was a pretty good summer blockbuster - action scenes are well done, nice mix of funny character bits. It kind of loses its way in the final act, but not too badly.

As a Star Trek movie, I thought it was fairly bad. There's some straight-up parody going on. As a long time Star Trek fan, I actually felt somewhat insulted.

Similarly mixed feelings about Cumberbatch; he does an awesome job, but he should not have been cast in that role. I really wish they'd picked a different villain for him to play.

"Curtain's up. Everyone's waiting for the hero to take the stage. And the spotlight's on you now." - Alfred, to Dick Grayson, Batman and Robin #2

Current Challenge

My favourite movie is a tough one, it's a tie between The Dark Knight or Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. 

The last film I watched was Wreck It Ralph on Blu-Ray and I LOVED it... but if we're talking about "at the movies", then the last movie I saw at the cinema was Star Trek: Into Darkness. I've never been a fan of Star Trek, but I really like the new movies and is given me appreciation to Star Trek. I also loved the villains of Into Darkness.

I'm looking forward to The Man of Steel this year. :) 

Last seen; Silver linings playbook

Looking forward to; Catching fire

Favourites....

Deer hunter, Django unchained, The Matrix, The Wall, LOTR, Pulp fiction, The Giant, Cat on a hot tin roof, most films by Almodovar, early Peter Greenaway.....aaaah there are so many

I have chosen to believe in myself.

My all time most favorite movie: Back To The Future.  Legend has it, my parents rented it when it first came out on video back in the 80's and it was the first movie I actually sat and watched from start to finish without losing interest.  I don't remember this because I was only 3 or 4 when this happened but to this day it is still my favorite (and I still want a DeLorean).

Last movie seen actually in a theater (we go maybe once a year): Star Trek Into Darkness (the IMAX 3D version).

Looking forward to: The JJ Abrams version of Star Wars (Yes, I know this is still a few years out).  I love episodes IV - VI, but they have to be the original verions of the movie, not the special editions.  I was so disappointed by the special editions and the prequils so I'm definitely looking foward to something fresh.

:strawberry: GolfCart34 :strawberry:

Twitter | FaceBook | Instagram

*I'm not the type of person who is scared of something.  If something is going to happen it's meant to be. - Kimi Raikkonen*

*We have to remember these days.  We have to enjoy them while they last.  You should never lose the passion and the joy and always remember the days when you were just dreaming of these things happening.  For all of us it is important just to enjoy the moment and realize there is more time later on in our lives to realize what it meant. - Sebastian Vettel*

^^^oh sir you have quality taste in movies.  SNORT- those are totally my types of movies too.   Fast and Furious is just so obscene at this point it isn't funny- except it's hysterical.   I LOVE really really BAD movies- and I love comedy and movies that don't take themselves seriously   They don't qualify as "GREATS" usually but that doesn't' mean I don't love watching them!!! :D

I liked a lot of things about The Hobbit. The visual style, cinematography, music, and acting were all terrific. But it didn't quite have the emotional power that The Lord of the Rings films had and still have. And I didn't like that the orcs and goblins were CGI-rendered rather than people in costumes and makeup like they were in The Lord of the Rings.

And I really liked Oblivion. I thought Tom Cruise did a great job (say what you will about the guy, I think he's a great actor), and I really enjoyed the plot twists, although the way they answered everything really quickly in the last half hour could have been done a little more smoothly.

When the hobbit people look like Avatar- I just couldn't take it anymore.

it was boring- the plot was weak as hell and I got to admit- it became super predictable after I got past the why the fuck are we still watching this boring ass shit parts.  I felt like they could have pared the movie down by easily 30-40 minutes.  

my boyfriend is ruining me on watching movies LOL

I saw Pain & Gain with some friends the other day. Not at all what I was expecting, especially the last half (and half the time I was in complete disbelief at what I was watching and at how stupid the characters are), but in some kind of sick, twisted way... I kinda liked it. It's way longer than it should have been and often relentlessly stupid, but it's also vibrant, ambitious, and (in a way) strangely charming. Just don't go in expecting a comedy. It has some funny scenes, especially ones involving Dwayne Johnson's character, but it's really ultimately more satirical than comedic.

Also watched 127 Hours last night. Loved it. The amputation scene is a little hard to watch. I usually have a strong stomach, but I almost had to look away a few times, and I winced bad when he snapped the bone... But what a great and moving film. James Franco is incredible in it. I knew he was a talented actor, but I never knew he was THAT good. Served as another reminder that any actor can surprise you and crank out an incredible performance if they have the right material in their hands (like Jack Black in Bernie or Tobey Magure in Brothers).

Saw that a month or so ago- Everyone at my gym went to watch it (I didn't realize it was about personal trianers- which is why all of ours went to watch it) so I literally had ZERO expectations or idea of what I was getting into.  I was like WTF is this shit.  Equally horrified and amused.  I liked it- shocked- but horrified and amused.  Worth the money to see in the big screen I think.

Definitely agree with that.

Star Trek Into Darkness was great. Not as good as the first, which I think had a stronger story, but still very good. Benedict Cumberbatch is, as usual, insanely good (and THAT VOICE of his, holy hell), and we do see a lot more emotion from Spock this time around. Tons of action too, a lot more than in the first film, but not as much humor. Still, a fantastic movie. I saw the midnight showing, so I need to see it again when I'm not so tired.

hermmmmmmm I've heard it was good.  I'd like to see it- I'm not a die hard Trekky- but I do like the movies- I have to be honest it just looks like the whole movie was shot for the trailers- kind of like transformers- so I'm not holding my breath- but I'd like to see it- pretty people make me happy.

And david caivall as Super man.  DEAR GOD MY BEATING HEART.  love that man. so hot.  could care less about super man- one of my least favorite characters.   Batwoman is coming I heard... I'm keenly interested in this seen as how hollywood fucks up female roles so much (fantastic four and the most recent batman wtih Anne hathaway- oh facepalm of all facepalms) 

My favourite movie is a tough one, it's a tie between The Dark Knight or Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. 

The last film I watched was Wreck It Ralph on Blu-Ray and I LOVED it... but if we're talking about "at the movies", then the last movie I saw at the cinema was Star Trek: Into Darkness. I've never been a fan of Star Trek, but I really like the new movies and is given me appreciation to Star Trek. I also loved the villains of Into Darkness.

I'm looking forward to The Man of Steel this year. :)

OH I LOVED wreck it ralph- I think Despicable me is still a leading favorite- but yeah- LOVED wreck it ralph- plus the blond lady from 40 year old virgin and Glee- no clue what her name is- I LOVE HER (quick fact- she was a serious doctor who helped Harrison Ford figure out the conspiracy plot in The Fugitive!!!))

Last seen; Silver linings playbook
Looking forward to; Catching fire

Favourites....

Deer hunter, Django unchained, The Matrix, The Wall, LOTR, Pulp fiction, The Giant, Cat on a hot tin roof, most films by Almodovar, early Peter Greenaway.....aaaah there are so many

I have heard SIlver Linings was good- I love Bradley Cooper- But I can't stand Jennifer Lawrance.  My friend told me I reminded him of her a LOT from that movie- it was everything I could do to not fucknig slap him.  I can't stand her much less be compared to her.  but- at some point- I guess I'll have to watch it LOL. 

You really liked Django?  it looks so everywhere- I totally wanted to watch it. I don't get great movie feed back- not to many of my friends go- i've seen more movies in the last 3 months than I have in the last 3 years....  but that's definitely on my "to watch list"

I need to catch up on game of thrones- but that's nota movie- so not technically for here. 

I watched Spork on Netflix- it was actually really good- I really liked it.  Totally fun- and handled some sensitive issues in a great way.  I recommend it. 

Last one I saw? Good question, I think the last ones were Looper, Django Unchained, Skyfall (still thinking the movie is overrated) and re-watching Drive and No Country For Old Men. (I have the tendency to watch in batches)

Hobbit and Hunger Games were alright, didn't really stick with me though. The most memorable things about both were completely insignifcant  and amusing things like the beard of whatshisface from Hunger Games and the eating and singing at the beginning of the The Hobbit.

Favorite movies? Oh boy, gonna be a bunch. Once Upon A Time In The West (sue me, I grew up with Western), Equilibrium (fuck yeah, post apocalypse + martial arts + bale => awesome), No Country For Old Men (love that the movie takes it's time + the coin scene is amazing), Full Metal Jacket (private joker + the drill instructor.. wooo!), Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (óbviously not as good as the books but still - Vogons always get a laugh out of me), Gladiator (not just because of the epic fighting scenes), Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood for the win), The Great Dictator (Charlie Chaplin had major balls), Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels + Snatch (before Jason Statman was lame + Brad Pitt actually being amusing), Drive (made me dig Ryan Gosling), Falling Down (whacky, amusing and socially critical), Master & Commander (beautiful), Watchmen (still love Rorschach), Black Hawk Down (Idk why but that movie gets to me), 3:10 to Yuma (one of my favorite modern Western movies), Inglourious Basterds (gallows humor ahoy), Hero ("deep",..how cliché of me), Holy Grail & Life Of Brain (WOO for Monty Python).

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

I will ease in to this fiery discussion and offer you a few suggestions as to what I like: 

Spirited Away (Need I really say anything about this movie)

ParaNorman (One of the few animations that actually had real emotion to it, quite humorous too and the first openly gay character on screen)

Wreck-It Ralph (This should have won the Oscars)

Cabin in the Woods (Incidental comedy, but so awesome)

Zombieland (Really loved it)

Cockneys vs. Zombies (British, low-brow zombie comedy, I really, really recommend)

AND also, here I am showing a real softy side - Pride & Prejudice + The Notebook (CURSE YOU GOSLING FOR MAKING ME A GROUPIE)

However, I actually have a tendency to remember all the bad movies I dared watch myself... 

Warm Bodies

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Level 1 - Adventurer (Cthulhu in dusguise, but don't mind me)

STR: 2 І DEX: 1 І STA: 1 І CON: 2 І WIS: 5 І CHA: 4

Be mindful of your Self-Talk. It's a conversation with the universe.

oh I totlaly want to see hansel and gretel witch hunters!!!  love bad movies.

Saw Star Trek this morning- my FIRST 3D movie ever.  Definitely not planning on continuing the trend.  just not a big fan. Like the regular movies.  :D

it was okay. I don't like the new spock- I forgot how much I didn't like him last time- yeah.  Meh.  would have rather seen it in regular.  

A thread I can contribute to.. woooop!

Some of my favs: All the Underworlds, Fast & Furious (including Tokyo Drift), All the Transporters (in fact anything with my future husband in it - mmm Jason!).

Obviously LOTR has been watched 50 million times.

I also like stuff like Blood Diamond, V for Vendetta, Four Brothers etc. etc.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

oh I totlaly want to see hansel and gretel witch hunters!!!  love bad movies.

Saw Star Trek this morning- my FIRST 3D movie ever.  Definitely not planning on continuing the trend.  just not a big fan. Like the regular movies.   :D

it was okay. I don't like the new spock- I forgot how much I didn't like him last time- yeah.  Meh.  would have rather seen it in regular.  

BTW Hansel & Gretel - it was really fun. Senseless, camp fun to take off some stress. 

My worst 3D experience - Alice in Wonderland. GOD WHY?! Atrocious movie. Everything was bad. It felt like an unintentional self-parody. 

A thread I can contribute to.. woooop!

Some of my favs: All the Underworlds, Fast & Furious (including Tokyo Drift), All the Transporters (in fact anything with my future husband in it - mmm Jason!).

Obviously LOTR has been watched 50 million times.

I also like stuff like Blood Diamond, V for Vendetta, Four Brothers etc. etc.

I adore Underworld, but the last movie seriously disappointed me. The franchise needs to cool down for awhile before it follows Resident Evil's path of development. 

Writerdude - I agree about the 3rd Underworld, that's why I only have the first two on my shelf. lol.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Nah worst 3d experience was definately Avatar not Alice.

Seriously! 2d cuts don work in 3d! they just give effing headaches

I had a massive two day headache after Alice. God, it made me hate going to the movies for a long time. Really dreadful experience. 

Writerdude - I agree about the 3rd Underworld, that's why I only have the first two on my shelf. lol.

Oh how glorious the first two parts were. 

I saw Fast & Furious 6 today. I don't have "guilty pleasures" (I hate that term because I don't feel guilty for liking anything and I don't think anyone should), but if I did, it'd be this series. Great action scenes with a big middle finger to the laws of physics, and some solid messages about family = awesome. And they just keep getting better, which is rare to see in a series that lasts for more than three or four films.

SPOILER: Wasn't expecting to see Jason Statham randomly show up at the end! Makes me excited to see what he'll bring to the seventh film. He's the perfect actor for these movies.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

—Mahatma Ghandi

Alter, I edited your quote for you.

He's the perfect actor!!

Oh Jason.. Gaaaaaaaaaahh. <3

lol.

Archived