Forums are back in action! ×

New mum trying to set a good example!

Hey guys!

I have been browsing the forums and have decided to post my story..

I am 27 and a marathon running, arts and crafts loving chemistry geek with a breathtakingly beautiful 7 week old daughter, a husband, and two mental Siberian husky dogs. I live in the beautiful county of Cumbria, northern England (not Scotland!).

I have always had an issue with my self image, as far back as I can remember. I come from a family of dysfunctional eaters, and I swung from eating nothing to eating everything I could get my hands on throughout my school career. When I graduated university and got a job, I decided to make a change and started running and eating better. I trained religiously for a year and ran a couple of half marathons. My self esteem improved but my body showed no outward changes (although I was able to run further and further, but with minimal improvements in speed etc). I started going to the gym, and the instructors had me lifting light weights over and over to 'tone up'. Still minimal changes even though I was going 5 times a week! I came across the Insanity program and decided to try it. I loved how intense it was, and saw dramatic improvements in my running speed, and I was no longer afraid of feeling uncomfortable and pushing myself. I still didn't see the improvements I wanted. 

In the middle of my full marathon training I fell pregnant. I was very sick in the early months and had to stop running. Because I wasn't running and I was gaining weight from the pregnancy, I used it as an excuse to eat rubbish. Now, I have my daughter, I am a stone heavier than I was before and I get out of breath walking to the shops!

Looking back over my past exercise logs, and reading Steve's blogs and my own research, I have realized that I have wasted a huge amount of time for minimal gains. I don't have the time to waste any more. Besides, I would rather hang out with my family than spend hours in the gym or pounding the pavements!

Lilly has changed my life permanently, and with the help of you rebels, I am committing to make the lifestyle changes that will ensure I am the healthiest and strongest I can be for her. So I can lead by example to make sure she lives a healthy long life too. Well, that is my official, big picture wishy-washy goal. My real-time set-in-concrete goal is to complete 5 pull ups, unassisted. No-one I know can do even one and my ugly competitive side wants to show off in the gym!

So that is my story and where I am now.. the only issue now is where did I put my workout gear!! 

Here's to a new me and new friends.. and to 5 pull-ups! Whoop whoop!

Bring it!!

Archived