Forums are back in action! ×

Any parents still around?

Dad of 2. A 5 (nearly 6) year old boy recently diagnosed with ADHD (although we knew from the day he could walk), and a 1 year old girl who is deaf. I like to joke that one can't hear and the other doesn't listen.

Oh nearly forgot also have 20 10/11 year olds.

I am a primary (elementary) school teacher not just very prolific in the bedroom in my early 20s.

Don't worry, you will be able to get sleep again soon... it doesn't take too long for them to actually sleep through the night.... (although at the time it feels like forever)

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Hi there
I'm a 38 yo single mum with 5 yr old twin boys.. really boy-boys.. highly active and competitive
I'm studying accounting and bookkeeping atm, but have a pre-kid work history that includes being a physiotherapist and library coordinator

I'm struggling atm to fit in everything I want to do and I really need to gain some focus.. but trying to study, get fit and strong, quit smoking, play hockey, do the boys readers for school and speech therapy, as well as getting them to their hockey practice and footy clinic, then trying to catch up with friends and my bf, some adult conversation to save my sanity

Been watching these forums for so so so long and would love to take up a 6wc but just can't see how to fit in another willpower sucking activity. So just concentrating on baby steps and making little habit changes here and there.

Also want to transition to a maybe 80% paleo diet but with picky eaters for kids I'm struggling there too
Have started to implement positive parenting strategies - finally sucked up the ego enough to admit i needed help and bought the course - and it is helping tremendously, but honestly have so far to go that I don't even want to lift my eyes to the horizon some days.. just putting one foot in front of the other

| lvl3 | Amazon Warrior |
|str
6|dex1|sta5|con5|wis8|cha2|

| challenges | two | one | 

| mfp | l4dyh4wk |

Hi there

I'm a 38 yo single mum with 5 yr old twin boys.. really boy-boys.. highly active and competitive

I'm studying accounting and bookkeeping atm, but have a pre-kid work history that includes being a physiotherapist and library coordinator

I'm struggling atm to fit in everything I want to do and I really need to gain some focus.. but trying to study, get fit and strong, quit smoking, play hockey, do the boys readers for school and speech therapy, as well as getting them to their hockey practice and footy clinic, then trying to catch up with friends and my bf, some adult conversation to save my sanity

Been watching these forums for so so so long and would love to take up a 6wc but just can't see how to fit in another willpower sucking activity. So just concentrating on baby steps and making little habit changes here and there.

Also want to transition to a maybe 80% paleo diet but with picky eaters for kids I'm struggling there too

Have started to implement positive parenting strategies - finally sucked up the ego enough to admit i needed help and bought the course - and it is helping tremendously, but honestly have so far to go that I don't even want to lift my eyes to the horizon some days.. just putting one foot in front of the other

Welcome to the forums.  I have to agree with you that you do have a lot on your plate, and when it comes to the family, we always seem to put our families first and sacrifice our own health.  You are doing good in putting one foot in front of the other  and gathering the information to make a change.  Keep working on which dragons you want to tackle first and develop a game plan for the next 6WC.  Just make that your challenge for this 6WC and you will be ready to hit the gates for the next round.  This online community is a really good group of folks to help in motivating and supporting you during your quest.  Just remember you are not alone during your challenges and you can always find a helping hand when you need it.

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

We had our third back in February, giving us a boy 11, a girl 6, and a baby (6 months).  My son began lifting weights with us earlier this year after the gym started a Youth program.  This gets him access to the weight room with us (otherwise minimum age is 14).  We all go to the gym 3x a week.  My daughter and the baby go to the daycare, while my wife and I do Stronglifts.  My son is doing a dumbbell program with pull ups, squats, bench press, overhead, push ups, and reverse situps.

With school starting up, my daughter will be doing either dance or gymastics, and my son wants to do wrestling again.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

I have my hands full with 2 little girls....:)

One is 6 and the other is 2.5....

I have a house full of estrogen.....lol

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last 6WC one of my goals was to "yell less" at my boys (13 year old twins and 10 year old singleton).  I found a blog that was helpful, the orange rhino.  Her definition of ANGER and the feelings associated with anger (annoyed, negative thoughts, grumpiness, exasperation, rage) helped me keep myself in check but also opened up some great conversations with my boys about the way they react to others (ie - the feelings of ANGER - how to recognize "grumpy" and switch gears rather than continue to "rage").  Its definitely a place for nerdy parents - lots of what she says about parenting is the same advice we hear from steve about fitness.

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

Instead of trying to for in another willpower sucking activity, why not pick something you're already working on or struggling with and use the six week challenge to work on that?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

MyFitnessPalFitocracy | Twitter | Email

Niente è vero, tutto è permesso.

Thank you all for your positive responses :)

Welcome to the forums.  I have to agree with you that you do have a lot on your plate, and when it comes to the family, we always seem to put our families first and sacrifice our own health.  You are doing good in putting one foot in front of the other  and gathering the information to make a change.  Keep working on which dragons you want to tackle first and develop a game plan for the next 6WC.  Just make that your challenge for this 6WC and you will be ready to hit the gates for the next round.  This online community is a really good group of folks to help in motivating and supporting you during your quest.  Just remember you are not alone during your challenges and you can always find a helping hand when you need it.

smurray, that is kinda my plan.. I had hoped to be on board for this challenge, but didn't quite get it together.. so as you say my challenge is to be ready for the next one 

The last 6WC one of my goals was to "yell less" at my boys (13 year old twins and 10 year old singleton).  I found a blog that was helpful, the orange rhino.  Her definition of ANGER and the feelings associated with anger (annoyed, negative thoughts, grumpiness, exasperation, rage) helped me keep myself in check but also opened up some great conversations with my boys about the way they react to others (ie - the feelings of ANGER - how to recognize "grumpy" and switch gears rather than continue to "rage").  Its definitely a place for nerdy parents - lots of what she says about parenting is the same advice we hear from steve about fitness.

mom2sjm, absolutely.. yelling less is very high on my agenda and the positive parenting has helped immensely with that.. my boys see their dad every couple of weeks so the rest of the time we are in each others faces.. I really want to get us into the habit of giving each other space as much as possible so that we aren't taking out our stresses on each other. The boys have asked to have their own rooms which I am trying to accommodate.. it will take some work tho and that is just another thing on my list.

Instead of trying to for in another willpower sucking activity, why not pick something you're already working on or struggling with and use the six week challenge to work on that? Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Manveru, i do get what you're saying but I think I have such an OCD/perfectionist nature that making a public declaration of what I am trying to do right now kinda sets up the failure.. I try to overshoot what's possible if that makes sense and set my bar way too high.. I need to get my head space right before I officially set the challenge.. and I know this goes against what Steve is always saying.. just start NOW! forget yesterday and don't worry about tomorrow.. can only change what happens today.. and I do try to live like that.. the whole challenge thing tho scares me heh.. but eyeing the next one off with plans to be ready

Edit: thinking about this since I posted, I don't think I've explained myself very well and I feel like i'm making some pretty big excuses. Its not that as such, its more that I have a tendency to dive head first into things.. all or nothing is like a basic instinct of mine.. and I need to get a few things sorted out before I can allow myself to do that.. patience grasshopper ;)

| lvl3 | Amazon Warrior |
|str
6|dex1|sta5|con5|wis8|cha2|

| challenges | two | one | 

| mfp | l4dyh4wk |

Proud papa of a 5 year old girl and a 9 year old boy. We started out walking 3ks with them in backpack and strollers and graduated to my son and I running a 5k together. It was awesome to see him push himself to run the whole thing even though he thought he couldn't do it. My daughter loves to dance..we will dance together like crazy people while making dinner or cleaning the house. Makes for special moments and memories to see the joyful youth

Good to see someone named "Conan" dancing with a five year old :) Does she have any favorite songs? My youngest is five, and she's a dancing maniac with a lot of favorite types of music: David Bowie, KISS and the Blues Brothers soundtrack, mostly.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I have a daughter that's bordering on 14 right now (I had her very young).

Thankfully, she likes working out with me and is still a daddies girl...though I fear that by 16 that may change lol

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I have a daughter that's bordering on 14 right now (I had her very young).

Thankfully, she likes working out with me and is still a daddies girl...though I fear that by 16 that may change lol

It may not. I am still a daddies girl, and my daddy died in 2007. 

For some girls, once a daddies girl, ALWAYS a daddies girl =D

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Good to see someone named "Conan" dancing with a five year old :) Does she have any favorite songs? My youngest is five, and she's a dancing maniac with a lot of favorite types of music: David Bowie, KISS and the Blues Brothers soundtrack, mostly.

LOL. I didn't think about Conan dancing- very funny.She is a lot like me and likes music from all genre's. her favorites right now are an old cole porter tune "anything goes" and she likes coldplay, Calvin harris- anything you can move to really. Her mom is into bands like Depeche mode and new order so she gets a good variety!

Parent here!

6 year old boy, 21 month old girl. My girl is one of my main reasons for trying to get in shape. I never want her to feel like I did growing up (ridculed by my own family about how fat and ugly I was) and so I wanted to stop the negative self-talk I'd give myself daily. It's a process, but hopefully by the time she can talk (coherent sentences, not just the random babble-words she does right now) I won't be saying anything to put myself down. And I'm definitely never going to put her down either. I realize I should have started sooner, for the sake of my son, but at least this way I'm still benefitting everyone, albeit a little late.

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

I have two sweet babies.  My little boy (Little?  He's 10, going on 20 with this new sassy attitude), and a sweet little 5 year old girl (did I say sweet?  She's a stubborn, willful, sassy thing that cries if you look cross-eyed at her). 

So, like many moms I suffer from multiple personality disorder when it comes to my kids.  In all honesty, I love them dearly, and am working to get in shape and healthy for them.  I don't want them to suffer some of the stigma and body issues I had growing up, so I teach them to make good choices and use moderation as their guide.  Tonight, on the menu, homemade 20 minute tomato sauce over pasta ( the only way they will eat tomatoes).  Tomorrow, high protein, lots of veggies as we will be post football practice and sprinting.  For some reason, I can't keep my kids from sprinting with me.  Kind of love it!! :pride: